Father Al Dash -Updated Post 27 Invitation

macoduck

Father Al died peacefully in his sleep at 1am today. He will now be with his beloved greyhounds that went before him.

When funeral announcements have been made I'll post that information here.

fatheral1.jpg

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What a beautiful photograph......Sounds like an equally beautiful human being.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest twoskinnydogs

Never had the honor of meeting him, but I heard many many people say greyt things about him. The greyhound community suffered a great loss today. God be with Father Al and his family in this time of sorrow.

Rest in Peace Father Al. That is the most beautiful photo. Thank you Ducky for posting it.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Marilyn has spoken with Father Al's cousin, Gloria. Gloria said Father Al would love for you to donate to the greyhound rescue group of your choice.

Marilyn has written a tribute to Father Al on her Grey Haven site: http://www.ahome4greys.org/home She also provides a mailing address if you would like to send a card to the family.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Godspeed, Father Al.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest friendsofFrAl

Dear friends of Al in Dog,

We are students at the UNCW Catholic Campus Ministry. We have been blessed for the past few years to know Al and his beloved greyhounds, Captain and Willow. Al found great companionship in his greyhound children and in the community of greyhound caretakers. We thank you for caring for Al and sending such love to him over these past trying months. Al would want you to know how much he loved his greyhound community.

His last word to his ministry was "rejoice".

Below we have posted the funeral arrangements.

The following arrangements have been made for the Vigil for the Deceased,

the Funeral Mass and the Rite of Committal for the Reverend Alan J. Dash:

Reception of the Body, Vigil for the Deceased and Visitation: The

Reception of the Body and Vigil for the Deceased will take place on Sunday,

May 20, 2012 at Saint Mark Catholic Church in Wilmington at 7 pm with the

Rev. Joseph G. Vetter, presiding. The Visitation will continue to 9 pm.

Funeral Mass: The Funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10:30 am on Monday,

May 21, 2012 at Saint Mark Catholic Church in Wilmington with the

Most Rev. Michael F. Burbidge, Principal Celebrant and the

Rev. Msgr. John A. Wall, Homilist.

Rite of Committal: Committal will be at the parish cemetery at

Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church in Newton Grove following the

Funeral Mass.

A reception in the parish hall will follow the Rite of Committal.

Thank you for posting about the services. Do you think it would be OK if I brought my greyhound Gracie attended the reception on Sunday since I will not be able to come down for the Mass or Rite of Committal. Gracie is a registered therapy dog.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm sure he is in good company at the bridge and the dogs will be so happy to see him. Rest in Peace, Father Al :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Marilyn has spoken with Father Al's cousin, Gloria. Gloria said Father Al would love for you to donate to the greyhound rescue group of your choice.

Marilyn has written a tribute to Father Al on her Grey Haven site: http://www.ahome4greys.org/home She also provides a mailing address if you would like to send a card to the family.

What a touching story. Respectfully, instead of saying "Rest in Peace, Father Al" I'd like to say "Enjoy all the Greyhounds that surround you now, Father Al, because there are sure to be many."

Condolences to all that loved Father Al.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest arlosmom

We will so miss Al and his beloved hounds. I have several pics of him with our dogs and I will try to look them up and post. We will be attending the visitation and mass. My husband has valued the recent time visiting him in the hospital. The heavens are rejoicing to receive the good and faithful servant that was Al Dash. We will miss you and so will the hounds.

Guest jettcricket

I remember my first Dewey many years ago. We went to the blessing of the hounds on an early Saturday morning. It was a beautiful morning....after Father Al was done doing his sermon you could start to hear the sounds of soft rooing from all corners of the beach and before you knew it, there was a cresendo of greyhounds rooing looking up to the heavens.....I became very emotional. It was a beautiful moment...I have no doubt that when Father Al left this earth that he was greeted by many, many furkids.

RIP dear man...and pease tell my bridge kids how much Mommy and Daddy miss them and love them. :beatheart

Guest friendsofFrAl

Dear Macoduck,

We appreciate your offer wholeheartedly to bring Gracie to the reception on Sunday however, because of Father Al's status and all of the details that the diocese requires, we unfortunately cannot allow you to bring Gracie. We thank you for the request and hope to see you at the reception regardless.