Think Good Thoughts For Fixer

Guest K9Cookies

Guest K9Cookies

We have a vet appointment at 5:30 this evening. Fixer had been acting fine yesterday, but a few minutes after dinner, he collapsed right in front of me. He was down for about a minute or so (no convulsions that I could see), slowly managed to get himself up, but then couldn't walk. After a few minutes standing, he did take a few steps and then he seemed back to normal.

Nothing has ever happened like this before (at least not that we have observed). He has seemed a little more unsteady on his feet lately. He hesitated to go down the stairs in the dark this morning. When I turned on the light, he went down. I've also noticed that since we got a double-flap dog door, he's had a hard time going in and out.

I'm worried that this is something major. :( We'll get him checked out really good tonight (thank you, Trupanion!) Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by K9Cookies

Thinking of Fixer today!!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Fingers crossed for tonight's appointment. I was thinking seizure but I would think you would see him convulsing so it could be his heart perhaps?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh my goodness - I am so sorry. That must have been very frightening. Something very similar happened to Merlin about ten days ago. I am thinking lots of positive thoughts for Fixer.

:grouphug:goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sending best wishes for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest K9Cookies

Thanks, everyone. I'm getting more and more worried about it. Guess I need to stay busy until 5:30 rolls around. :blush

Fixer is getting older...he's 10 1/2 now. He's gotten to be quite the loner and likes to hang out by himself upstairs. I hope all of this isn't connected.

I'll be thinking about you and Fixer tonight!

I hope he has a restful day ~ and that it is nothing major!!!

:hope

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I hope that you're able to find some answers tonight :goodluck My first thought was his blood pressure bottoming out for some reason, or maybe something related to blood sugar? As for the stairs and stuff...could just be "old dog eyes"...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

You should mention the self-isolating upstairs to your vet also, IMO. Spencer is about the same age as Fixer, and the only time he isolates like that is when something physical is wrong. Some do experience decreased vision with age, especially in low-light situations. But other conditions, like BP problems, also manifest as vision issues. Will be keeping you and Fixer in our thoughts today and hoping the vet figures it out quickly!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Oh, Kristin, I'm so sorry! I'll be thinking about you and Fixer, sending out lots of good thoughts, and hoping you get some answers at the vet appointment---positive answers! It's so hard not to worry in the meantime.

This may not be the case at all, but I remember our angel Nick having an episode like that, which scared us to death. He recovered without any side effects, but about 3 months later, was diagnosed with Addison's. I asked our vet if she thought the 2 could be related, and she did not rule it out. Maybe ask your vet about Addison's, just in case.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest K9Cookies

Fixer is at the vet's office now. :goodluck

They called to see if we could bring him in any earlier. I guess by the time we got there at 5:30, it would have been pretty late to run tests, X-rays or whatever was needed. DH went home, got him and brought him in. They'll have the afternoon to check him out and I'll pick him up around 5:30.

I really hope everything checks out OK. Thanks for all of the good thoughts. I really appreciate it.