Just A Freak Accident

When we got home from work, as usual everyone was in a hurry to get out and say hi. We have a baby gate that blocks the stairs off when we are not home and when we opened it, didn't set it securely against the wall. It fell, startling the gang and Sam got pushed into the front of one of the crates. If it had been any of the others, they would have let out a yell and that would be it but with Sam and his thin thin skin, the impact ripped him open.

This was the worst of all his mishaps. Thankfully, tonight is the one night of the week that my vet is open late. The vet was wonderful and he is home now with a ton of stitches and a couple of drains. He's still coming out of the anesthesia so don't think any of us will get much sleep tonight

How am I going to keep him from bothering these stitches. I usually put a t-shirt on him, but can't figure out what to do this time, given where the injury is.

P1180004.jpg

Ideas anyone?

Edited by djsgreys

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh My God, that is so awful & painful looking! Must've been just horrifying when it happened!

I've read about a towel-collar you can make to go around the neck. I believe you roll the towel up & wrap it around the neck and secure it with a couple strips of tape (probably duct tape, huh) wrapped completely around the neck. The idea is to make it so big & bulky they can't turn their head around far enough to get to the back half of themselves.

Not sure how effective it would be, but I understand the concept.

Sending get-well wishes to sweet Sam, and "calm down" wishes to you & your hubby!!!

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

Awwwww..... Poor guy. I would recommend a pair of 4 legged pjs. You can also use a pair of boxers on backwards with the tail through the crotch hole. Old Navy boys size medium would probably be good. I would only worry that the elastic would rest on the wound so I do think the 4 legged pjs would be better.

Tough area. A towel collar might work. Or a commercial Bite-Not collar, although I haven't tried one on a greyhound. Here's a photo of a towel collar I used for Willow:

willowtank5.jpg

My concern about boxers is that they'll slide back and end up right on the injured area. The only thing I could think of to keep boxers from sliding back is to put a harness on him and somehow tie the boxers to the harness? Not sure if this would be too cumbersome to get on and off, though. Just brainstorming...hope someone else has better ideas.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Oh Deb :( that picture makes me shudder to look at it. Poor guy Sam. I really don't have any new ideas. I'm thinking the towel collar together with 4-legged pajamas would be best. Like Jennifer said I'd worry about people pajama bottoms ending up resting along the incision and irritating it. I will try to keep thinking though of something else that may be of help.

In the meantime, I'm sending lots of healing thoughts for Sam :candle .

Guest PhillyPups

My first thought was boxers, then I thought what if they slip. As I can jerry rig,(usually do homemade makeshift when needed in a hurry) I am thinking a wife-beater on his top with boxers and attaching boxers to the wife-beater so the boxers don't slidown to the suture area. I would think the edge of the 4 legged pj's would be right at rubbing point there. I am also wondering, how would a belly band work?

Poor boy, that hurts to look at. Please give him :kiss2 from us.

Guest greybookends

My first thought was boxers, then I thought what if they slip. As I can jerry rig,(usually do homemade makeshift when needed in a hurry) I am thinking a wife-beater on his top with boxers and attaching boxers to the wife-beater so the boxers don't slidown to the suture area. I would think the edge of the 4 legged pj's would be right at rubbing point there. I am also wondering, how would a belly band work?

Poor boy, that hurts to look at. Please give him :kiss2 from us.

Deb I am so sorry this happened. That's a tough spot. I do not think the 4 legged jammies will suffencently cover the wound to keep him from licking it and I have the same consern about the boxers as everyone else, but I think Pat has hit on an idea here. It might work.

I hope he heals up fast. Poor baby. Poor YOU! :grouphug

That's awful! Poor guy. :( And there's nothing sharp on the crate? Was it just the clipped ends of the wire? Wow ... I think I'd be tempted to pad it with something anyway, just in case. Maybe wrap those ends .. or maybe use something you can tie on, like a cot bumper?

Tough area. A towel collar might work. Or a commercial Bite-Not collar, although I haven't tried one on a greyhound. Here's a photo of a towel collar I used for Willow:

We have a Bite-Not collar and it works very well. We don't use the extra strap they supply, and haven't needed it. I think the size is 8 1/2 " but I can check that if anyone needs me to.

I hope he heals well! Of course, everything looks worse on a white hound.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I'm thinking I would try a belly band. If he can still reach and won't leave it alone I'd add a towel collar.

So sorry. It just looks like it would hurt so bad :(

I'm with June. Belly band. The kind Cara-Lea used to sell--just straight fleece. Maybe line it with a Serentity pad to absorb discharge. They'er very soft, nothing to irritate it. I think Donna D. has several--maybe she could send you one riteawayqwik?

Poor Sam.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Oh my gosh, poor Sam.

How about a belly band holding a pair of fleece boxers or kids sweatpants in place? Hopefully whatever drugs they have given him for pain will keep him somewhat subdued for the first few days of healing.

If you can sew, how about four legged pajamas that you have added an extra panel of soft fleece under the belly? That really would not be that difficult to do and you would just use the jammies as a pattern and then sew the seams. You would have to use velcro on the non injured side so you could get the jammies on and off though.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Belly band with boxers...pin the boxers to the belly band?

Poor poor Sam....

How is he this morning??

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Ouch! Poor Sam. That looks painful. I like the big rolled towel idea.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Sorry this happened Deb, the wound looks terrible. I hope Sam is on the mend soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

The wound looks pretty tough - must be painful. Hope he's doing better today.

No advice about how to keep it covered except that you might not want to get fleece near the wound because some types of fleece might pill and actually catch on the area. Might be better to go with cloth diapers if it is going to be near the incision.