Just A Freak Accident

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have inflatable e-collars that work the same as the towel idea at the pet stores now. You could try one of those. Poor guy, that looks awful. Hope he heals quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

No advice beyond what has already been given...but sending you good toughts....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Poor Sam! Poor Auntee Deb! :kiss2 for both of you!

I would be wary of covering that wound site at all. And you would be needing to take whatever it was on and off several times a day for potties, which would further irritate the site.

The Bite-Not collar works well, especially if Sam is short-necked, or short-bodied. Dude was long-necked and long-bodied and he could still bend enough to get at his back end. We ended up having to use a regular E-collar that we attached to his RuffWear Harness. The harness was very stable an didn't move around much so we could cinch the collar tightly with a long gauze strip through the holes of the collar and tied to the harness, minimizing the flapping and flopping.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

So I did stay home from work. He is pretty sore this morning. The vet prescribed metacam for pain but (forgive me everyone) I am giving him a tramadol. He really has a hard time lying down - so I eased him down and cuddled for three hours while he got some much needed sleep. He has eaten a little - gone to the bathroom okay. Just a lot of panting and whining. He has not even tried to touch the injury site this morning - which looks even worse than it did yesterday :eek with all the drainage. Will leave it uncovered for now - I just worry about when I am not home to watch him.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Are you giving him the Metacam along with the tramadol? No reason to feel bad about giving him the tramadol if you feel the Metacam isn't enough. Tramadol is commonly used in conjunction with NSAIDs as they work together to improve pain control.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm sorry you had a rough night, but I'm glad they were able to patch him up.

Lila's wound was in a very similar place, just a little higher up. I bought a pair of men's pajama pants with a drawstring waist. She didn't mess with her wound at all, so she didn't wear them for longer than just trying them on, but the drawstring seemed to hold them in place very well. It didn't seem like they would have slipped out of place.

I hope Sam's healing is speedy and uneventful.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Are you giving him the Metacam along with the tramadol? No reason to feel bad about giving him the tramadol if you feel the Metacam isn't enough. Tramadol is commonly used in conjunction with NSAIDs as they work together to improve pain control.

This was my thought-- kinda surprised your vet didn't dispense tramadol with that injury.

So he has now eaten a good meal, had another tramadol and his nightly metacam. Hoping he can settle a little. I also cleaned up all the blood off of him and the gunk from the drains. He's doing okay - it just pulls so darn much when he goes to lie down. Have slathered him in polysporin - the one with the analgesic - so hope it will dull it a bit for him and he can get some much needed rest.

I have to go to work tomorrow. I'm thinking of taking him to the vet for the day so that he is not here unsupervised. And perhaps if they see the amount of pain he is in, they can suggest something else.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

When Paul had an infection on his leg, my vet recommended buying a pair of kid's pjs or sweat pants from Old Navy to keep him from licking. We actually opted for an e-collar, so the wound would be open and able to dry up.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

If you use an e-collar, use the flexible ones. The babies sleep so much better and they are easier for them to live with.

I pray for speedy recovery for your baby boy. Poor thing. A good dose of kisses, loves, strokes, and little goodies. :dogcookie :dogcookie Tempting treats to give him a smile.

Guest madredhare

I have to go to work tomorrow. I'm thinking of taking him to the vet for the day so that he is not here unsupervised. And perhaps if they see the amount of pain he is in, they can suggest something else.

I think I would leave him with the vet tomorrow. It would probably ease your mind while you are at work.

Wow Deb, that looks horrific. All Alberta dogs are pretty pent up right now because of our gawdawful temperatures - 30C, that's 12 below F for the Americans: no wonder they exploded out to see you. I hope he heals up quickly!

Edited by spottydog

Guest FullMetalFrank

Ouch that looks painful! When Chelsa got Jewels last fall, our vet gave tramadol and rimadyl for pain the first few days. She was very painful the first night and into the second day but as soon as I could, I ditched the rimadyl. She ended up needing only 4 doses of both, I think, then we kept up with the tramadol as needed. Antibiotics, though... She was on three kinds at once and for fairly long term; clavamox was the longest and we kept her on that for nearly a month.

I keep looking at your picture trying to see if there's some type of garment I could create for an injury like that. Jewels' injury was on her back and we started with t-shirts pinned to fit her with maxi-pads as a liner (I can't stress how much I LOVE this idea; it really helps keep the wound clean and the outer garment clean, too!) Then I made her some custom stretch vests like the racers wear only out of 100% cotton; those were great for keeping her pads in place and she was comfortable in them. She ended up with a pretty big open wound to manage and it was a long healing process so she was in shirts for quite awhile.

Hope he heals up quickly, poor kid!

Wow! I agree about leaving him at the vet.mi hope he heals quickly.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Geostar

Yikes..what a horrible accident! Oh my..that is really nasty.. Hugs to your grey!

Belly band might work.

What I've done is take a muzzle and place duct tape around the outside enough, so the dog can breathe but, not lick. Don't worry, they can drink water still. The tape will keep him from actually licking the area...even though the dog thinks he still can. Does the grey have a bandage on the area, or what..? If no bandage..hold off on using the muzzle due to infection..

Mean while, a gentle hug from me and another for your grey-star

Home from work and Sam is doing a lot better today. Think the pain is easing a bit and he is not shrieking or panting as much. No redness, just a tiny bit of oozing from the drains - it actually looks better today. He has not tried to touch it at all - though he does have his muzzle on most of the time. Now I have the weekend to figure out what to do while I am at work next week.

Deb, and da Croo