Wabi Has Blown Away Like A Dandelion

Xan

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks (on-going!) :grouphug:

My husband likes the idea of the Wabi pillow, too. I just got an email from JoAnn's announcing a sale on pillow stuffing: it's fate!

I too love the pillow idea...I picture in my head a beautiful pillow with contrasting embroidery thread used to stitch it together it from the outside by hand (does that make sense?) to symbolize imperfections are beautiful. If some stuffing comes out it could be thought of as dandelions blowing in the wind. It could always be refilled in the spring when the dandelions pop up.

Big hugs to you and your family.

Pillow = not around the bend at all. Friend from a large family had teddy bears made from her late dad's shirts, for each of the children to have one. Something you can look at and hug and make a smile with.

Here it is starting to get cold at night, but you know what? The dandelions will keep blooming longer than anything else, any chance they get.

Thank you -- you and DH -- for giving Wabi the chance to be her funny little self, for as long as she could.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, Xan, I just saw this! I'm so very, very sorry that Wabi's gone. She was such a dear, funny girl, I loved her little face. I think the pillow is a wonderful idea. Please give your other houndies scritches from me and this is for you and DH :grouphug

Jennie

Edited by jenners

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Oh Xan, what shocking news. The world is surely a bit darker without Wabi shining in it. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

It's funny, I was just thinking about Wabi a week or so ago...and while morbid, my thought was "Isn't it amazing and fantastic that she's lasted this long". A testament to your love and care, truly, that this jumbled up little puzzle of a dog would live a full and rich existence, loved by many around the world.

I recall reading a definition of wabi-sabi that particularly struck me - that in the imperfection of the creation, one can see the hand of the maker. Wabi was a uniquely-forged little being and there will never be another like her. She thought herself quite special ;) because that's what everyone had always told her. From the moment she came out of the womb, obviously never able to earn her keep as a racer yet allowed to grow up, to the Kansas folks who saw her as adoptable, to the outpouring of support by so many to move her across the country, to the Vet who tried to fix what wasn't meant to be repaired, and finally to the loving home you provided - she was blessed, and every single day was a gift that she very obviously relished. I will not see hers as a life cut short, but a life well-lived.

I've taken the liberty of putting together a little collection of the pictures I took of her when she was just a young pup with me (and a silly one with Mazie that I copied because it always makes me smile): Wabi's Page

Again, my condolences on your loss. May the Wabi-shaped hole in your heart heal with time.

_________

Edited by ElizabethGPAPS

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Aww, Elizabeth, thanks! You have her essence pretty well summed up. :wub:

Those pictures all just bring back those early days, when she was with you and I was just starving to get my eyes and hands on her. I think that's pretty clear in that last pic, where I'm just lost in love with her on the floor in your office during our first meeting, oblivious to you or H (his feet behind me expressing patience :rollingeyes: ).

WabiXan.jpg

Looking at those pictures, I can just about feel her thick soft puppy fur, that stayed so soft her whole life. That rolling toss of her head and those bubbly eyes just waiting to spring some kind of mischief ... that unique sit and curvy roach ... her frail little leg all shaved and bandaged, with that angry fresh wound on the hip sad.gif ...

This all got me sobbing again, when I thought I might be past that clutching, desperate stage of grief, but it seems it keeps sneaking up on me still.

Thanks for everything, Elizabeth. Thank you.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Wabi, sweetie--I was at a potluck at our nearby state park last night--and the shelter was in the midst of a field of dandelions! In North Dakota, the end of September?? Who would have expected it! I blew one that was all fluff in your memory.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Thanks, EmbersDad and Patsy. :grouphug:

I sewed up Wabi's coat for the pillow last night. (Stabbed myself once, and managed to wear a cut into my thumb, 'cause I'm such a pro.) I need to get stuffing. I'm egging my husband to paint me a picture of a dandelion, in his own loose style (which I can't come close to). I got a brass heart pet tag engraved like this:

Wabi

Thank you

Eat the

Dandelions

It's now on a silver chain around my neck with two other heart tags (for my first dog, Hobie, and for Happy, our broodie who died two years ago).

300581_10150299904217687_527372686_8420029_1893048594_n.jpg

The tattoo idea is on hold. I found an artist who does amazingly painterly work, but she's expensive (as she should be), she's in NY (I'm in Washington state) and she hasn't answered my email yet, so ......

I'm still in that memento phase, that wanting some THING to see, touch, hold onto that will feel like or remind me of Wabi, hold all the memories and sorrow for me, and somehow bring her back. The impossibility of that is the absurd and terrible part, and my awareness of that awful fact through it all.

:(

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

[/left]

I'm still in that memento phase, that wanting some THING to see, touch, hold onto that will feel like or remind me of Wabi, hold all the memories and sorrow for me, and somehow bring her back. The impossibility of that is the absurd and terrible part, and my awareness of that awful fact through it all.

:(

Xan, I haven't known what to say to express the loss I feel since learning this news. I understand so much the wanting to hold on to something in hopes it will bring them back. :cry1 Wabi changed the way I see dandelions. Everytime I saw them in my yard they would bring a smile to my face as I thought of how much she would enjoy them and now every summer they will be a reminder of this very special little girl that touched so many hearts.

Wabi, are you trying to play tricks on me? What's a dandelion in "fluff stage" doing on my berm last night--October 14th--in North Dakota, no less! PRICELESS!

Hugs to you, Xan, and DH.

I don't know who to thank for adding such a sweet note to Wabi's Greyhound Data page. I just saw that this morning, and it got me sobbing all over again. Thank you, kind person!!

Loved, spoiled and cherished by the family she adopted and adored by the Greytalk community. - September 1, 2011 - Wabi has gone. Remember the lessons of Wabi: take joy in every little thing, every day, despite any obstacles or physical constraints.

cry1.gif

Xan, I haven't known what to say to express the loss I feel since learning this news. I understand so much the wanting to hold on to something in hopes it will bring them back. :cry1 Wabi changed the way I see dandelions. Everytime I saw them in my yard they would bring a smile to my face as I thought of how much she would enjoy them and now every summer they will be a reminder of this very special little girl that touched so many hearts.

:bighug That's my girl! :wub:

Wabi, are you trying to play tricks on me? What's a dandelion in "fluff stage" doing on my berm last night--October 14th--in North Dakota, no less! PRICELESS!

Hugs to you, Xan, and DH.

Aw, Patsy, how neat. I'm glad it gave you a Wabi moment. :) Thanks for sharing it with us.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

• 5 years later...

Wabi, honey, our first dandelions are out and I just wanted you to know that you are still missed and your message still shines. I never see dandelions without thinking of you!

Edited by Patsy

"Some animals...leave a trail of glory behind them.
They give their spirit to the place where they have lived,
and remain forever a part of the rocks and streams and the wind and sky."

- Marguerite Henry

:beatheart

Remembering dear Wabi with love. :beatheart

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Truly a very special girl and the dandelion is perfect for her. Bright and cheerful.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 2 weeks later...

Wabi was a very special girl... I'm sorry I never got to meet her in person

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge