Wabi Has Blown Away Like A Dandelion

Xan

Guest madredhare

From all the stories I have read about Wabi, I think the dandelion tatoo would be perfect! I been considering a tatoo myself, but can't come up with something unique. Go for it!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dragontearz

Go for the tattoo! I plan on Getting a silhouette of Guinness with his typical one ear up, one folded over since before he passed, and one day when I have extra money I will.

:grouphug

What do you think of this for a tattoo?

tattoo002.jpg

I've been thinking of putting it right over my heart (or, you know, just above the chest pocket region). Not big. Just a couple inches. I don't even know if he can do it like this; sketchy and loose.

Or, maybe I'm going to get cold feet, and be satisfied with the drawing by itself! blush.gif

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I know what you mean about the tattoo. I got Frank's pawprints from the vet after he passed and I am debating (pretty sure I am going to do it!) getting one tattoo'ed over my heart. Or on my shoulder if it won't look right there. I need to find the absolute right artist to do it though.

Guest jade1046

Haven't been on GT in a while and am just seeing this. I'm so very sorry about dear sweet crooked little Wabi. :grouphug I remember when you first got her and were contemplating the perfect name - "Wabi" was it, although I don't recall the meaning ...

She was such a special girl, loved by so many. Godspeed sweet Wabi. :gh_run:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Oh, Xan :cry1 Wabi was such an amazing girl---truly one-of-a-kind, in so many ways. I am so sorry she had to leave you :weep

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Xan.. I am so sorry to hear about Wabi... And you will be getting a Tattoo.. :) I think your design is great and we will make it very special for you..

<b>These of course are just my humble opinions and in no way express the thoughts or ideas of the management, staff or members of this or any other board.. </b>
James River Greyhounds, Richmond VA
Homer, Gunnar and Scarlett,... Bridge Kids, Belle, Toby, Tanner, Pumpkin, Dimples and Tyrone, Willis, Duncan, Clea,Cable and Gracie

I know what you mean about the tattoo. I got Frank's pawprints from the vet after he passed and I am debating (pretty sure I am going to do it!) getting one tattoo'ed over my heart. Or on my shoulder if it won't look right there. I need to find the absolute right artist to do it though.

:grouphug: Yes: where? Who? IF?? I know that inner debate!

Haven't been on GT in a while and am just seeing this. I'm so very sorry about dear sweet crooked little Wabi. :grouphug I remember when you first got her and were contemplating the perfect name - "Wabi" was it, although I don't recall the meaning ...

She was such a special girl, loved by so many. Godspeed sweet Wabi. :gh_run:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

That sent me on yet another definition hunt, since the meaning is not easy to translate or simple. I found this page, which really puts it so beautifully. Here's what it says specifically about the word "wabi" (as separate from the term "wabi sabi", which the page defines so nicely):

Wabi stems from the root wa, which refers to harmony, peace, tranquillity, and balance. Generally speaking, wabi had the original meaning of sad, desolate, and lonely, but poetically it has come to mean simple, unmaterialistic, humble by choice, and in tune with nature. Someone who is perfectly herself and never craves to be anything else would be described as wabi. Sixteenth-century tea master Jo-o described a wabi tea man as someone who feels no dissatisfaction even though he owns no Chinese utensils with which to conduct tea. A common phrase used in conjunction with wabi is "the joy of the little monk in his wind-torn robe." A wabi person epitomizes Zen, which is to say, he or she is content with very little; free from greed, indolence, and anger; and understands the wisdom of rocks and grasshoppers.

While I would say that she was not "free from ... indolence," ;) she had the rest of this down in her own way. Even balance, in her own off-center way. :wub:

I love this first paragraph on the page:

Pared down to its barest essence, wabi-sabi is the Japanese art of finding beauty in imperfection and profundity in nature, of accepting the natural cycle of growth, decay, and death. It's simple, slow, and uncluttered-and it reveres authenticity above all. Wabi-sabi is flea markets, not warehouse stores; aged wood, not Pergo; rice paper, not glass. It celebrates cracks and crevices and all the other marks that time, weather, and loving use leave behind. It reminds us that we are all but transient beings on this planet-that our bodies as well as the material world around us are in the process of returning to the dust from which we came. Through wabi-sabi, we learn to embrace liver spots, rust, and frayed edges, and the march of time they represent.

Xan.. I am so sorry to hear about Wabi... And you will be getting a Tattoo.. :) I think your design is great and we will make it very special for you..

Thanks, Gil! :kiss2

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

OK, I'm not a tattoo person but I'm wondering if *just* the dandelion would be "better" than the heart surround. The location of it would make the dearness clear no problem.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Wabi.......the lessons they teach us in the short time that they are in our lives never cease to amaze me...

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

OK, I'm not a tattoo person but I'm wondering if *just* the dandelion would be "better" than the heart surround. The location of it would make the dearness clear no problem.

Hmmm. I'll look at it that way, too. But, I'm kind of consistent with putting frame-shapes on things, even if the things then stick out of the frame. I get what you're saying, though. I did want it to have a little sort of water colory or pastel-like background to it, if it works out with tattooist to do get that effect, and for that I'd want the border. Also, the bit of red sets off the green well, I think.

Still trying to jump-start my brain and get some painting done! I have a deadline, and it's looking pretty impossible right now. blink.gif

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

It's been a week, tonight. Still finding ourselves suddenly overcome. Still learning how to skip big parts of our routines, how to not look for the third dog, how to not hear her breathe at night, how to step over the dandelions without noting where the best ones are.

The worst has come, and gone, but it will be a cold cold winter.

Thanks for this outlet, and for the caring.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I am just seeing this Xan -- completely undone by seeing her name here. I am so sorry, so very sorry.

I followed her story and was so deeply impressed by the way you named her and how she lived up to the name.

She filled my heart with joy. Absolute strangers have heard about the meaning of Wabi's name, and about her dandelions.

I named one of my pets in WoW after her, and told my British friends (who I play with) about her special perfection, and about her dandelions.

I remember my little lion faced cat, who died many years ago and think of Wabi because his name was Dandelion.

Bless you for sharing her with us; her lessons cannot be forgotten.... they are the kind that get engraved upon the heart.

Thousands of us, who have never met her, will carry her in our hearts for the rest of our lives. Sending hugs and big huge sunshiny meadows full of white light :weep

Guest greytmiles

I'm so sorry for your loss. Wabi sounds like a very very special puppy. :grouphug

I think the dandelion and heart would look beautiful as a remembrance tattoo. :wub: That sketchier, watercolor-y look can absolutely be achieved, but imho you should find someone who can show you prior examples of similar technique.

I am just seeing this Xan -- completely undone by seeing her name here. I am so sorry, so very sorry.

I followed her story and was so deeply impressed by the way you named her and how she lived up to the name.

She filled my heart with joy. Absolute strangers have heard about the meaning of Wabi's name, and about her dandelions.

I named one of my pets in WoW after her, and told my British friends (who I play with) about her special perfection, and about her dandelions.

I remember my little lion faced cat, who died many years ago and think of Wabi because his name was Dandelion.

Bless you for sharing her with us; her lessons cannot be forgotten.... they are the kind that get engraved upon the heart.

Thousands of us, who have never met her, will carry her in our hearts for the rest of our lives. Sending hugs and big huge sunshiny meadows full of white light :weep

:bighug

Thank you for this. It makes my heart glad to think that her wonderful, quirky little self has had such a wide reach. You've made the (good) tears come again.

:bighug

I'm so sorry for your loss. Wabi sounds like a very very special puppy. :grouphug

I think the dandelion and heart would look beautiful as a remembrance tattoo. :wub: That sketchier, watercolor-y look can absolutely be achieved, but imho you should find someone who can show you prior examples of similar technique.

That's a good point. I'm still waiting to hear back from Big Dave about his opinions on this design. I'll ask him about the style, particularly.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest brandi007

Ohhh Xan, I'm so sorry. I hardly come on here anymore but this is just heart breaking. What a blessing for her to be with you though, not nearly long enough - but then again, it never is. Sending lots of warm thoughts to you and Wabi.

Thanks. No, it never is long enough, is it? :(

I've been washing and sorting through her stuff (coats, pajamas, collars, booties, sweaters) to send to the Galgos, and there's this one plush fleece coat that neither DH nor I can let go of. I'm thinking of ... I know this sounds morbid ... filling it with stuffing, and having it as a pillow. Am I totally around the bend, or have I come up with a neat idea??? I'm doing it, either way! blush.gif

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Oh, Xan ... I have only just seen this. I am so sad for you. The 'special' dogs really do make themselves comfortable inside our hearts, don't they? You must miss her dreadfully. :bighug

In time you'll be able to be glad for her that she passed so quickly without having to grow old or suffer a long illness, but for now it's perfectly OK for you to feel sorry for yourself. And no, it's not morbid or odd to want to stuff a coat and hug it - I think it's a lovely idea. Take things slowly. You'll need time for it to sink in.

So sorry.

:f_pink

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

*snuffling* Thank you.

You're right; I do feel ... well, "glad" isn't the right word, but I know it saved her a lot of longer term suffering to go so quickly, and while she had been able to enjoy her life right up to the last couple hours.

Meanwhile, Pogo is trying to climb up in my lap, wagging and snuffling his wet nose in my face. He's very distracting! ;)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Xan, I am so glad I got to meet Wabi (not just once but twice) in person. It was such a privilege.

There is nothing morbid about making a pillow out of one of her coats.

Dave will do a great job on the tattoo.

:grouphug

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer