Wabi Has A Mouth ... Tumor?

Xan

:(

We have an appointment with the vet, but this is moving so fast.

Excuse the rotten phone camera pics, but you get the idea.

w-bump2-8-19.jpg

w-bump1-8-19.jpg

w-bump3-8-19.jpg

(Wabi is a very deformed little thing, in case you don't know who she is, and her jaw is normally - for her - undershot, since her upper jaw is very short and curved off to her right.)

I first noticed a spot bleeding on her gum, and just thought she bumped it. Over the next few weeks, it grew into a smooth red swelling, so we took her to the vet. After discussing the fact that she arrested under anesthesia (during her spay), we decided to treat it as if it were an infection, with antibiotics, and watch. (We brush her teeth, and she hasn't had a dental since we got her because of our fears.)

There was no improvement. In fact, it has continued to grow. The vet was away for a week, and here we are today. It's gotten sort of rough-textured, and is now involving a much larger area. It doesn't bleed anymore, and doesn't seem to bother her, but I have bad thoughts in my head! unsure.gifunsure.gif It looks pretty much like the pictures of fibrosarcomas. unsure.gif

Looking on *a* bright side, if she should have to have a mandibulectomy (and survive the anesthesia!), she wouldn't have those exposed teeth getting all candy-corn-like.

But, boy, I'd miss her Very Special Look. :wub:

Waah!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ack!!! Well, we all knew there's nothing average/normal/routine about The Wabster . . . . but that said, she's on the ND nightly candle.

Perhaps Essence of Dandelions until you see the vet? :colgate

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

A linky for more info with pictures. And another link. Xan, I believe arlosmom had a non-greyhound with a mouth tumor.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Praying it's just some tissue overgrowth.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Urk! I'm not sure if I feel better or worse after looking at the links, Ducky! :P But, seriously, thanks. I hadn't found those two in my semi-obsessive searching. blush.gif

They do show a lot of different types of tumors that - to my unpracticed eye - look like Wabi's, so I guess we'll just have to wait for pathology.

Just talked to the vet's office about a biopsy. We have an appointment, but not 'til next Friday. I wonder how big it will be by then! I think we need to stream-line the process, if possible, do a more comprehensive surgery, and then send the mess to pathology after, to avoid having her go under more often than necessary. I've just called back and asked to talk specifically to the vet (rather than the receptionist/tech(?))

Bleh.

Thanks for the support!! We've all been on both sides of that, and know how helpful it can be! :bighug

Oh, and she's still hunting the dandelions every day! :lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

THIS is NOT allowed!...........just sayin'

You know our girl is in my prayers. She will be fine!!!!! I insist!

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

:candle and :hope for Wabi.

I will be in Blaine next weekend - I might stop by to see how she is doing. B)

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

Personally, I would not want to wait another week with this.

It seems to be rather aggressive-- certainly resembles fibrosarcoma. Sure your vet can't fit you in for a wedge or punch biopsy (if she's a good girl a local block might be possible) and chest rads sooner?

:hope for Wabi and hope it's nothing too serious for your dandelion girl.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I have been a bit pain, calling them back, trying to get her moved up, getting my concerns across, etc.. Next Friday is earliest. So, y'all cross your fingers with me, 'kay??

And, the vet did say she really felt we should do a biopsy first, rather than a more invasive removal, so we know just HOW invasive we need to be. I get that. I'm just ... anxious about multiple anesthesia events, not to mention the time spent possibly letting it grow.

Money is going to be an issue. I hope they will let us pay in a few installments!

Adrienne, absolutely stop by! Email/message me, and I'll give you my phone number. :)

Photo0259.jpg

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

{{{Wabi}}}! Just seeing this, Xan. I can imagine how conflicted and anxious you must be feeling. I'll hold you and Wabi in my thoughts. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest BrianRke

Daytona had something that looked very similar. We went to the vet and he removed it then and there. I cant remember what he called it but he said it was fairly common in older dogs and that it was benign.

Just seeing this! Poor Wabi and poor Xan! I am sending a ton of good thoughts your way. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Please keep us posted! :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Checking in on Wabi & Xan. Praying for the best possible outcome.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Prayers for Wabi!

On a side note, a few years ago Sammi had 2 Histiocytomas~ one on her belly and one in her mouth. They are scary to observe because they act so aggressive (and look it, too!). They are red, ugly and mean looking.

We didn't know what they were at first, the vet biopsied them and then removed them, sent both the biopsies and the tumors themselves to path. Came back as those lil copycat buggers, Hystiocytomas.

Praying this turns out ot be something as simple.

Daytona had something that looked very similar. We went to the vet and he removed it then and there. I cant remember what he called it but he said it was fairly common in older dogs and that it was benign.

Prayers for Wabi!

On a side note, a few years ago Sammi had 2 Histiocytomas~ one on her belly and one in her mouth. They are scary to observe because they act so aggressive (and look it, too!). They are red, ugly and mean looking.

We didn't know what they were at first, the vet biopsied them and then removed them, sent both the biopsies and the tumors themselves to path. Came back as those lil copycat buggers, Hystiocytomas.

Praying this turns out ot be something as simple.

From your typing fingers to the health-gods' ears!

Thanks for all the well-wishes, my friends! Wabi continues unconcerned, and is even getting used to me touching her bumpy gum, which I hope will make dealing with it easier for the vet, and therefor for Wabi.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg