7/20 Albi Update

Guest mommyx5

Gracious, Nancy. A Double Crisis...

My grey Sofi took after a deer on the evening of 5/26/11 (still missing) and my grey Rocket did the same thing Albi did on Sunday, 5/29/11.

She shattered her hock horribly and it was beyond anything ER could do other than soft splint and pain meds.

Saw my ortho surgeon first thing this morning -- he took one look at the x-rays and said, "osteo." They are operating on her this afternoon.

Searching for one, nursing another...

I think I know how you feel. Not any consolation for you, but it consoles me to know someone out there is having the same misery I am.

The dual crises... Ramm and Albi.

I realized yesterday that amputation might come up and I needed to prepare for that decision. I contacted a childhood friend of mine that recently had a terrible accident and, while in a medically induced coma, his mother had to make the decision to amputate his leg.

His response:

"I have never once doubted amputation was the right thing. If the vet leans that way, amputate and don't look back even once.

A good man can have a great life with one foot and a good dog can have a great one with three."

I hope his words give you some comfort.

Are you going to do chemo with Albi?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad Albi is back home and will assure you, he will be on the mend soon and doing well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Man, what a nightmare! Poor you and poor Albi! I hope everyone gets on the same page and gets your boy taken care of properly. Prayers for quick healing for Albi.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

:(

Sending prayers this is the last of it, Nancy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, how incredibly stressful and frustrating. Poor Albi! Hope things turn upward from here. Going through a smaller version of post-surgical complications with Beth I have just the tiniest taste of how upset and worried and angry you must be. :(

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Oh, Nancy. I am so sorry to read that things are not going well for Albi. I think your blessing is that you have been through this before and you know how it should go. I would be lost at this point.

I sincerely hope that today is the last surgery Albi has to have and the healing process begins. I know it is stressful as a mom. :(

Sending lots of big hugs and white light for Albi,

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

I'm so sorry to hear of Albi's struggles. I hope that he's on his way to healing now & this will be his last surgery. (Nothing worse IMO than keeping a sick dog at the vet for hours - I HATE THAT. angryfire.gif)

I believe I've heard that infections at the amp site often mean a better outcome. If the body puts up a fight against an invader, it shows the immune system is stronger & will help not only with the amp healing, but the cancer too. I hope that this is what's going on for Albi & that all your efforts will keep him with you for a long time. Best wishes for your beautiful boy. grouphug.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

When I went to OSU for Diamond's amp, she also ended up with an infection. They started her on a general antibiotic and cultured the wound. It wasn't healing and after the culture finally came back they found it resistant to the general antibiotic and started her on another one that works on that particular bug.

She cleared up once put on the 2nd antibiotic.

Have they cultured the area? Is he on antibiotics?

Oh yeesh! :( I'm so sorry to read of Albi's and your continuing trauma! :( It does sound like there are a lot of vets in this, but maybe that has the advantage of many eyes, many opportunities to catch mistakes?

I'm changing my Albi chant to address this mess!

*Muscle tissue, clean and strong, lifting Albi up health and full strength. Immune system like a superhero, throwing off invaders, squashing wild cancer cells, faster than a speeding bullet. super-hero-150x150.jpg *Muscle tissue, clean and strong, lifting Albi up health and full strength. Immune system like a superhero, throwing off invaders, squashing wild cancer cells, faster than a speeding bullet. super-hero-150x150.jpg *Muscle tissue, clean and strong, lifting Albi up health and full strength. Immune system like a superhero, throwing off invaders, squashing wild cancer cells, faster than a speeding bullet. super-hero-150x150.jpg *Muscle tissue, clean and strong, lifting Albi up health and full strength. Immune system like a superhero, throwing off invaders, squashing wild cancer cells, faster than a speeding bullet. super-hero-150x150.jpg**

Repeat as necessary!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

What a horrible ordeal for both of you. Prayers this fixes everything so all heals nicely and soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Dude had the same complications after surgery and I was so frustrated! I just wanted him BETTER and to get on with his treatment. After two more surgeries - first to debride the wound and place a wet-to-dry bandage, daily changes at the e-vet, then another debridement placememnt of a drain. After three weeks we finally had a mostly closed and healed wound. It was torture, on top of the cancer.

We'll be thinking of you and hoping this leads to something good.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:grouphug What an emotional roller coaster, poor you. Keeping you and that gorgeous Albi in my thoughts. Hang in there, you guys.:goodluck

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh Nancy, this sucks! Hoping for the very best and you and Albi are in my thoughts. It isn't fair that so much can happen at once. :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Aw, crap. Crap crap crap crap. And words to that effect.

Keeping your sweetest boy in my prayers, Nancy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am sorry this is happening Nancy. Sending more prayers for Albi.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Nancy, have you contacted OSU? Maybe they can offer some insight into the critters/antibiotics. More good thoughts for Albi. goodluck.gifclover.gifhope.gifgetwell.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis