7/20 Albi Update

Nancy, you might want to ask your vet about methocarbamol. It's a muscle relaxer, and it comes with much fewer side effects than NSAIDS have.

Normally, muscle relaxers aren't useful for arthritis, I think. But apparently, spinal arthritis is a different situation, perhaps because the back pain encourages the dog to tighten up on muscles along the spine trying to cope with the pain twinges. At any rate, Sam on methocarbamol is a whole different animal--tossing his stuffies and playing happily. I save the meloxicam for real pain (if he's yelping when he gets up or lies down) because this drug comes with a whole sheet of small-print cautions (mostly stomach). The methocarbamol isn't as complicated or risky, I think; Sam gets one in the morning, one at night, doesn't get woozy or dopey, and seems to feel much better. (For Sam, one symptom of discomfort from his arthritis is that he does a wet-dog shake to try to loosen up his back. If he does it often, he needs a methocarbamol. If he starts to shake but "clamps down" on the shake right away, it's time for the big guns of the meloxicam.

Maybe Albi can do methocarbamol instead of gabapentin, with the gabapentin in reserve for really achy days.

P.S. My vet didn't suggest the methocarbamol. It was recommended by a chiropractor Sam saw. When I suggested it to my vet, though, he agreed. It may just be my impression, but I don't think it's something vets think of right away.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nancy, you might want to ask your vet about methocarbamol. It's a muscle relaxer, and it comes with much fewer side effects than NSAIDS have.

Normally, muscle relaxers aren't useful for arthritis, I think. But apparently, spinal arthritis is a different situation, perhaps because the back pain encourages the dog to tighten up on muscles along the spine trying to cope with the pain twinges. At any rate, Sam on methocarbamol is a whole different animal--tossing his stuffies and playing happily. I save the meloxicam for real pain (if he's yelping when he gets up or lies down) because this drug comes with a whole sheet of small-print cautions (mostly stomach). The methocarbamol isn't as complicated or risky, I think; Sam gets one in the morning, one at night, doesn't get woozy or dopey, and seems to feel much better. (For Sam, one symptom of discomfort from his arthritis is that he does a wet-dog shake to try to loosen up his back. If he does it often, he needs a methocarbamol. If he starts to shake but "clamps down" on the shake right away, it's time for the big guns of the meloxicam.

Maybe Albi can do methocarbamol instead of gabapentin, with the gabapentin in reserve for really achy days.

P.S. My vet didn't suggest the methocarbamol. It was recommended by a chiropractor Sam saw. When I suggested it to my vet, though, he agreed. It may just be my impression, but I don't think it's something vets think of right away.

Thanks for the info about the methocarbamol, I will do some research on it. Albi is definitely hunched up in the back end. His back legs don't seem to work right and he chews on the base of his tail at times. Also there are times when he's laying down and then jump up like something is after him. I asked Dr. L about Metacam and he decided on the Gabapentin which he said was good for phantom pain. Albi's regular vet said if the Gabapentin wasn't enough she would put him on Prednisone. I'm not sure I want him drinking and peeing excessively. The Gabapentin has helped (he's not crying when he sits but still looks uncomfortable when he does) but I don't think it's enough. He had been on Tramadol for pain but he seemed stoned on it.

For those of you that have asked, we aren't doing chemo at this point.

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

I'm glad Albi is feeling a little better, but like you, I thought he'd be doing better than this by now. I don't know about phantom pain, but metacam has been a blessing to my puppers when they needed relief. We have not have the tramadol results most have had. If the gabapentin isn't getting the resluts he needs, do ask about the others. Sounds like you have docs with differing opinions.

I don't remember... how old is Albi now? In my mind he's still a youngster :)

Sending lots more hugs,

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

I'm glad Albi is feeling a little better, but like you, I thought he'd be doing better than this by now. I don't know about phantom pain, but metacam has been a blessing to my puppers when they needed relief. We have not have the tramadol results most have had. If the gabapentin isn't getting the resluts he needs, do ask about the others. Sounds like you have docs with differing opinions.

I don't remember... how old is Albi now? In my mind he's still a youngster :)

Sending lots more hugs,

Definitely too many doctors involved, I feel like this :headwall I feel like they don't hear what I'm saying, I know him better than anyone. I have a call into Albi's regular vet about something additional (she mentioned Prednisone)

Albi is young, he'll be 8 on Nov. 25, but age 7 to 8 seems to be the time osteo likes to show up. Marvin had just turned 7 when we found out he had it. Marvin was on Metacam and did well on it. Ramm was on it for arthritis in his hips and did well on it until his last couple of days. Albi's mother, Sundae, a Borzoi, just turned 15 in April, I really thought we would have him around for a long time.

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS