Neck Injury--Ruby

Anyone up for some MORE good news?

Last night, while I was out, my DH went to the basement to put away some tools. He forgot to pull the door shut [we've only been leaving it open a crack, enough for the cat to get through, since Ruby got hurt]. Well, he turned around, and there were Rascal and Ruby! Ruby went down the steps BY HERSELF! :yay

He said she and Rascal then followed him back up, then down again! (He always gives them treats downstairs, hence Ruby's motivation. :lol )

AND last evening she ate every bit of her dinner--1 cup of kibble with a bit of spaghettios and some canned dog food!! GO RUBY!!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the best news ever. GO RUBY!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OK, I think it's safe to say that our dear Ruby is 99% BACK. Last night she followed DH relentlessly, begging for treats. This is remarkable, because that's her 'normal' thing to do :lol . I say 99%, because her hind end still wants to swing around to the side when she's moving quickly, but that's OK. Perhaps next week's trip to the chiropractor will help that, but even if it doesn't, I don't care.

She can now:

--go potty without assistance

--walk

--trot

--EAT!! She is eating ONLY dog food now, hooray!!

--go up and down steps

--beg Daddy for treats like before

And to think that three weeks ago, we didn't even know if she'd make it through this....I call her "Ruby the Wonder Dog". :wub:

What is perhaps even more remarkable--and sort of scary in a way--is that JACK is now much, much more 'normal'. His behavior seems to be directly proportional to Ruby's recovery. Now that she is eating normally, he is too. He is not hiding in the bedroom nearly as much, he plays before dinner like before...it's amazing. I say scary, because I do fear for the day when Ruby is gone...she and Rascal will be 12 next week, so it's not like Ruby is a young'un.

Edited by rascalsmom

That is such happy news! How wonderful for all of you! confetti.gif

I don't remember if you ever found out what exactly happened to Ruby - stroke, FCE, injury?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

glad to hear she's doing so well!!! :yay :yay :yay :yay

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

That is such happy news! How wonderful for all of you! confetti.gif

I don't remember if you ever found out what exactly happened to Ruby - stroke, FCE, injury?

There was never any doubt. She injured her neck when she tried to go through the screen door.

Thank god. Keep on keepin' ON, Ruby!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

WHEW!! I missed this from the start, and just had to skip to the last page to see how she made it, and WOW! What a relief!! I'm sure you're all just beside yourselves with joy.

:confetti: :confetti:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Time enough to worry about tomorrow when it comes. Just enjoy Ruby the Wonderdog and today. Go, Ruby!

her hind end still wants to swing around to the side when she's moving quickly, but that's OK.
Every girl needs a little swing on her back porch.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

wow ... I don't know how I missed this thread, but my heart fell when I read the opening post, and its just been miraculous reading what's happened with Ruby over the past 3 weeks.

What a strong girl -- congratulations on your recovery sweetheart!

Guest leemc

Great News!!!! What a wonderful Mother's Day gift for you!!!! Sending love from my Ruby to yours and from my family to yours xoxo

The most wonderful thing is that she AND Rascal are still going to be around to celebrate their 12th birthday next Thursday! What with Rascal's cancer, and Ruby's accident, I had doubts that either one would make it to their 12th!!

Guest leemc

The most wonderful thing is that she AND Rascal are still going to be around to celebrate their 12th birthday next Thursday! What with Rascal's cancer, and Ruby's accident, I had doubts that either one would make it to their 12th!!

Happy 12th Birthday to the both of them!!!! And Happy Mother's Day to you!confetti.gif