Brucie

Guest KnightRider

Guest KnightRider

Although I am new here, I wanted to tell my boy's story.

Brucie came into my life in the fall of 2001. He was a race school flunkie and not even a year old. Brucie was one of the quirkiest greyhounds I had ever met in my life. He would hide under tables at meet-n-greets, growl at people when they went to pet him, skulk in the back of his kennel when adopters came to visit, and just overall exhibited an anti-social personality. After he'd been in the kennel for two months and with no prospective homes in sight, I decided to foster this boy. He knew me and so the change from kennel to home wasn't as traumatic as it could have been. Within a week, Brucie became an entirely different dog. He was a nut! He smiled, he bounced, he barked, he played. Where had this creature come from?!?! He was going no where but straight into my heart!

In 2004, I lost several of my greyhounds due to a house fire along with enduring a brutal divorce. Brucie was one of the survivors. He was patient and resilient during our time of separation while I found a new home and he (and my other survivors)was in temporary foster care. When he came home to me, he was the same Brucie; silly and goofy and one of the few remaining constants in my life.

Several weeks ago, Brucie began to exhibit some discouraging signs. He started having days when he wouldnt' eat, he began to trip and stumble, and generally didn't act like himself. The eating didn't worry me too much because it wasn't unusual for any of my dogs to pout about their food some days. However, the skipped meals began to happen more and more. Brucie had also developed a lick wound on his leg that just wouldn't heal and seemed to trigger endless licking episodes. A trip to the vet resulted in yet another round of antibiotics, anti-inflamatories, and pain meds. After coming home, Brucie seemed to perk up and ate like a horse. However, it was short lived. By the next evening, he had lost all use of his back legs and my daughter and I had to physically carry him into the living room. My husband was working third shift that night and a trip to the ER Vet was impossible. Brucie was a BIG male and my daughter and I struggled to get him to the living room. Trying to get him to the car was out of the question. She and I stayed up with him all night and as soon as my husband was home he loaded him in my car. I knew this wasn't good.

The vet did x-rays and a thorough exam and diagnosed him with a rapid progressing spinal cancer. I know he said some technical terms but all I could hear was that my boy was dying and in pain. There was nothing to be done. It was time to say good-bye and my heart was (and still is) in pieces.

I have since remarried and my husband is still learning about the greyhounds. I told him that there is just SOMETHING about these dogs...something special that is above all other breeds. Its as if God put a special touch on the greyhounds. For those of you who have lost a beloved hound recently or at some point in the past, I understand your pain and hurting heart. I know in time it gets easier but they sure leave us with an empty place when their gone.

Angie Knight

post-23458-0-71477600-1296714247_thumb.jpg

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. Brucie sounds like he was just wonderful, and my heart goes out to you. I do know it hurts, as I lost my Harley on Monday, and he was another of our goofy boys. God bless you for taking Brucie into your home, and your heart. He needed his own patient and kind human, to feel safe, relax, and enjoy life. And, that he certainly did with you.

I would like to think Brucie was met at the Rainbow Bridge by all our hound angels, Harley included. They are pain free, and happy as can be while they run in the fields.

Please accept my most heartfelt condolences during this sad time. Brucie was blessed to have you, and you were blessed and meant to have him in your life.

Godspeed Brucie, handsome boy. Run free now.

:gh_run

I lost my first grey to spinal cancer, and my heart breaks for you. Brucie clearly thrived in your home, and I'm so glad that he trusted you to give him a fabulous life, and as a result you & your family were able to see the wonderful boy that was hidden behind all of the fear. Thank you for taking a chance on Brucie, and hugs to you all as you cope with the hole that he's leaving in your hearts.

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Brucie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm sorry he had to leave you.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So sorry for your losses - what a tough, but very endearing story. He sounds like a wonderful guy.

We have a Brucie also - Doe's Bruciebaby was his racing name. He's a goofy one, too, and glad to hear he lives up to his namesake's precedent.

Run free with the angels sweet guy.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I'm so sorry Brucie is gone. I think I remember reading about your horrid fire years ago. It's hard to hide greyhound news.

It's almost unbearable to lose a heart hound. I still cry over my Pearl, her 1st year anniversary is this saturday.

I hope time helps to heal your heart.

I'm so sorry for your loss. They take huge pieces of our heart with them when we lose them......

Your boy, Brucie, sounds like a wonderful character who provided you the "constant" in your life when you needed it most - in a way that only our four-legged companions can do.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

It's so clear that you and Brucie were meant to be together. You were each other's angels.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious boy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

God Speed Brucie :(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project