I Heard Back From Dr Couto's Team

Wonder

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry Kari. That was exactly where my Jack's tumour was. We had a good long time after diagnosis together. I hope you do too.grouphug.gif

How long did you have?

I realize each case if different but I'm thinking it's going to be soon. :(

I had 6 months with him after diagnosis. We were very lucky. He was on Tramadol and Meloxicam.

I started him back on Tramadol on Friday and added Meloxicam last night. He also started gabapentin on Friday.

I'm letting him eat whatever he wants. I made 2 pot roasts last night and some chicken.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest bigorangedog

I sent you an email, but wanted to respond here too. I remember clearly getting that email from them when my Tanner was diagnosed. He was the first hound we ever lost, and I loved him more than moon and stars. The most gentle boy. His journey was so much like Sparks. Thought he had LS for months. Took him in for acupuncture, and the holistic vet's x-rays revealed the tumor in his hip. Tanner was unbelievably stoic, and just wanted to be near me and have things be the same as always. By the time we found the tumor, the whole bone was basically destroyed. I said the same thing as you're saying: "How did this happen to my boy??" I replayed every vet visit, every limp and fall, wondering why I didn't know sooner. Wondering whether I could have done anything to stop it.

But you just can't. For some reason, loving them with all your heart and soul is not enough to make them well. I still can't fathom why there is no magic healing power in it. Because I loved my boys, and I know you love Sparks, so fiercely that I would have done anything for them.

The email from OSU takes away that last thread of "maybe it's not THAT after all," and it takes your breath away. I have to say that when I saw Sparks' xrays, my heart sank. But I'm not a vet, and I too thought "maybe it's not that, maybe I'm wrong and the holistic vet is wrong and Dr Couto will make it right." I just hate this whole thing. Hate it.

I hope that you and Sparks have some beautiful time left together, full of all of Sparks' favorite things. Take pictures and remember every good moment. Like you said, every dog is different. I've had months of time post-diagnosis, and I've had days. Just depends on how pain-tolerant he is, whether you can find the right cocktail of medications to keep him comfortable, and how far along the osteo is. There are a lot of meds to try, and you know him best. If you think one med is taking away his 'Sparks-ness' then try something else. Acupuncture may still help him too. And massage - I know a doggie massage therapist with reasonable prices who comes to the house.

Let me know if I can do anything. We'll be sending tons of love to your sweet boy.

I sent you an email, but wanted to respond here too. I remember clearly getting that email from them when my Tanner was diagnosed. He was the first hound we ever lost, and I loved him more than moon and stars. The most gentle boy. His journey was so much like Sparks. Thought he had LS for months. Took him in for acupuncture, and the holistic vet's x-rays revealed the tumor in his hip. Tanner was unbelievably stoic, and just wanted to be near me and have things be the same as always. By the time we found the tumor, the whole bone was basically destroyed. I said the same thing as you're saying: "How did this happen to my boy??" I replayed every vet visit, every limp and fall, wondering why I didn't know sooner. Wondering whether I could have done anything to stop it.

But you just can't. For some reason, loving them with all your heart and soul is not enough to make them well. I still can't fathom why there is no magic healing power in it. Because I loved my boys, and I know you love Sparks, so fiercely that I would have done anything for them.

The email from OSU takes away that last thread of "maybe it's not THAT after all," and it takes your breath away. I have to say that when I saw Sparks' xrays, my heart sank. But I'm not a vet, and I too thought "maybe it's not that, maybe I'm wrong and the holistic vet is wrong and Dr Couto will make it right." I just hate this whole thing. Hate it.

I hope that you and Sparks have some beautiful time left together, full of all of Sparks' favorite things. Take pictures and remember every good moment. Like you said, every dog is different. I've had months of time post-diagnosis, and I've had days. Just depends on how pain-tolerant he is, whether you can find the right cocktail of medications to keep him comfortable, and how far along the osteo is. There are a lot of meds to try, and you know him best. If you think one med is taking away his 'Sparks-ness' then try something else. Acupuncture may still help him too. And massage - I know a doggie massage therapist with reasonable prices who comes to the house.

Let me know if I can do anything. We'll be sending tons of love to your sweet boy.

All of this is so very true, very well said.

Kari, I hope you have a lot of quality time left with Sparks. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am so sorry Kari. I will be thinking of you and Sparks.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Kari, so sorry to hear your diagnosis confirmed. Gypsy only managed a month and 2 days after her diagnosis. I used tramadol, rimadyl and gabapentine for her pain. I truthfully don't think she was ever totally without pain from the day she let loose with the GSOD to the day we had her euthanized. It is so hard, they can't tell you their pain level; you just have to try and pray you are doing the best you can. God, I hate cancer.

yes Kari lots and lots of pictures. Make each and every day a lifetime. Spoil him and even through the terrible grief try , try to find a way to to enjoy every good minute because you will replay those in your heart for a very long time.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I am so very sorry for this diagnosis, sending hugs and prayers your way. :grouphug:grouphug

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Kari, I am so sorry that the news wasn't better. It's so hard. I lost my first grey, KC, to osteo in 2003. I just hate it!

Edited because it posted twice.

Edited by nancy14

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Oh Kari! I am soo sorry! It was a year ago yesterday that we put Brooke to sleep due to Osteo. She was a week short of 12 when she DX. And she made it 9 months with the cancer. We spoiled her rotten.She was started on Dermaxx right away. And then about a month after we found out she had cancer, we started her on Tramadol for pain. We also put her on a grain free diet. The only thing she would eat for the last 6 months we had her was hamburger and rice with some grain free Fromm's mix in. Weather that helped her last longer? I don't know. But from what I've read it that grain is a food for the cancer to feed on.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

*angry face* :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Oh Kari! I am soo sorry! It was a year ago yesterday that we put Brooke to sleep due to Osteo. She was a week short of 12 when she DX. And she made it 9 months with the cancer. We spoiled her rotten.She was started on Dermaxx right away. And then about a month after we found out she had cancer, we started her on Tramadol for pain. We also put her on a grain free diet. The only thing she would eat for the last 6 months we had her was hamburger and rice with some grain free Fromm's mix in. Weather that helped her last longer? I don't know. But from what I've read it that grain is a food for the cancer to feed on.

I'm sorry about Brooke :(

Sparks is only eating raw and has been for a good 6+ months.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

:(

{{{{{{{{{{Kari}}}}}}}}}}

{{{{{{{{{{Sparks}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest azlorenz

F!#$%&*.. cancer, I HATE IT!!!!!!! Kari I am so very sorry, you know I will keep you and Sparks in my prayers.

I whole heartedly agree with this!

I'm sorry that it was confirmed. I dearly hope you have many more good days with Sparks. As has been said, make memories, enjoy each other and stay in the moment for as long as you can. Give Sparks a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.