Larry Is Not Crossing The Bridge Today

Guest Adrianne

Adrianne,

I'm so sorry you had to let him go, but I'm glad he had all of you in his life. You gave him a reason to try to fight to hang on as long as he did.

Best wishes to all of you. You'll be in my thoughts.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, no. I came here first this evening, wanting, wishing, hoping, WILLING that there be an improvement, any improvement, to give Larry more time to revel in your love. Thank you for putting him first, foremost and always. He was a handsome guy, beautiful soul and he touched so many of us here. Will pray that his spirit will help heal your heart. Please give Ollie some extra lovin' from us. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Adrianne,

I too was hoping this was just a temporary setback. I'm so sorry it was time. Everything you did for him was out of your enormous amount of love for him. I wish I could say something to comfort you, but words just seem so inadequate. I will miss his stories, his handsome face, and his pictures. Rest well sweet Larry, I'm sure no one could have loved you more these last few months and you will be missed a lot.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am so very sorry to hear about his passing :( :( :( I had so hoped he would turn around :( :( :(:cry1 :cry1

sending gentle hugs to you, Adrianne :grouphug :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I don't have words. Bless you for loving Larry. This is utterly heartbreaking, and I just scared my hounds with my howl. Please let me know if there's anything at all I can do. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Oh no! I came here to see if he had improved more and was stunned. I'm so very sorry. Godspeed Larry.:(

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I can't believe that Larry is gone. My heart is broken for you and your family. Bless you for giving him lots of love and comfort in his last months.

Poor little Ollie-how she will miss her big brother as we will all miss him here. Godspeed Larry, you were loved by and touched everyone who read even a single

sentence about you. I, for one, will never forget the pictures of your sweet face.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Houndie

Oh, no, I am so sorry to hear this sad news! My heart is breaking for you and your family. Thank you so much for giving this dear, sweet boy a wonderful home and soooo much love. It's hard to believe this sweet pup is gone -- but even more amazing to think of how many people loved him from afar. Thank you, thank you for sharing darling Larry with all of us. You and your family continue in my prayers.

Guest greymama002

Run free most precious beloved Larry. Your sweet face will always be remembered.

Adrianne, thank you for filling Larry's heart with joy and for sharing him with us. Wishes of peace & comfort to your family & Ollie.

Thank you everyone.

I have to tell you that on Thursday, we had doubt about letting Larry go, and I don't regret our decision to try the steroids. I would have wondered for the rest of my life if we had done all we could for him. His improvement Friday seemed to bear this out. This morning, there was not even a shadow of a doubt that it was time and that we would be giving him a gift by letting him go. I have peace in my heart on that front.

Larry came to you because you needed him and he needed you especially for this moment and we'll all miss him terribly with you.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest Adrianne

I have been asked what happened with Larry between yesterday and today. Because I don't want to include this in his Remembrance, I'm going to post it here.

Larry had a very restless night last night. He didn't seem to be stressed, just restless. But neither one of us got any sleep until close to 5:00. He kept acting like he wanted to get up, but when I'd bend down to help his hind end, he'd flop over like a fish. He did that many times last night.

About 5:45, he cried to get up, and Jamie got up and was able to help him stand. It was obvious his front leg was hurting, but his hind end didn't seem to be working right either. He really struggled to make it outside.

I went to bed from about 6:00 until 8:00 and then came & laid on the couch. Jamie said Larry had gotten up a couple times, but it was a major struggle to get up and to take even a step. His back end was falling sideways, and he could barely step with his front leg.

At that point, he was lying beside the couch, and I went to sleep beside him. When I woke up about 10:30, he was lying in the exact same spot and had not moved even a muscle. I was afraid he was paralyzed in his hind end. He indicated a couple times that he'd like to get up, but then he would flop again when we tried to help him. (I didn't find this next part out until tonight. Jamie didn't tell me earlier because he didn't want to upset me.) Jamie checked his hind legs and found that Larry's paws were ice cold. He felt there was no circulation, and he too believed he was paralyzed. A couple minutes later, though, he moved one of the hind legs.

Something was going on....either with his spine or hind end. I don't know what happened, but it came on fast and furious

Jamie got him up while I was in the shower, but, again, it was so obvious that he had deteriorated big time since yesterday. I came into the living room, and saw him struggling just to stand. He tried to take a step, but his legs just wouldn't work. It was the most pitiful sight I have ever seen, it is burned in my memory, it broke my heart, and I knew at that moment all hope was lost.

We were supposed to reevaluate on Monday, but that would have been punishment for him. I began calling mobile vets to see if someone would come out on a Saturday. I couldn't reach the vet who saw him Thursday, so I called two others with no success. Jamie and I discussed our options and what Larry would be able to bear. We knew to make him suffer in his condition even one more day was out of the question, so I prepared to call the e-vet. I hated, hated, hated that option, so I tried one of the mobile vets numbers one more time. Hallelujah--the vet herself answered the phone. She lives in our town and was just coming back into town from a clinic and said she could do it.

I am so thankful it was her. She was kind and loving to Larry both before and after. She was gentle, and it was such a peaceful passing for him.

I'm so sorry it had to end this way, but I'm glad his passing was a peaceful one surrounded by the people who loved him the most. You and Jamie gave him the most wonderful life possible and I'm absolutely sure Larry knew how much he was loved.

I'm also sure Wilbur was there to welcome his brother and now they are both running free with the wind and without pain.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Guest Energy11

Wow... I can "see" what happened in your every word. You write as well as you make pictures!

You DID do the right thing(S), and I respect you for this ... both giving Larry a chance, and for knowing when to stop ... knowing when ... to listen to Larry, and ... your heart!

The peace of the mountains awaits ... Dee and The Five

I am so sorry for your loss. Larry was a lucky boy to have had the time he did with such a loving and caring family. You tried all that you could for the boy - but made the only fair decision and, of course, the hardest one. I hope you can find comfort in knowing that the caring you give to the seniors is something so special. He left for the bridge looking into the faces of love.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest 4dogscrazy

So sorry to hear about beautiful Larry. :weep His story will be remembered and you were his angel when he needed to heal from his owners passing. Thank you for taking such good care of him.

Yes, he will be remembered. :cry1:brokenheart

He came to you after being left behind when his beloved owner passed -- most assuredly totally bewildered, sad, lost and sick at heart. You gave him a sweet love, and a reason to go on; and helped to heal his heart & soul so he would know joy at the end of his life.

Hugs to sweet Ollie. She knew, didn't she - in those pictures, she knew.

Be at peace, sweet Larry. :angelwings

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

Oh, gosh ... it reminds me of what happened with our little Jack. We - like you - tried so hard to save him but in the end it was obvious that he wasn't going to recover. Many hugs to you, I've been there and done that, and it's very painful, isn't it? But as you say, in the end you have peace in your heart because you know that this is the right choice.

I'm so sorry that you and Larry had to go through this, but he was a very, very lucky dog to have you both. You clearly loved him dearly and did exactly what you thought was right at every step. Nobody can do more, and no dog can ask for more.

My deepest sympathies. :bighug Rest in peace, Larry. :f_pink

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I am so sorry Larry had to leave. You did everything possible but it clearly was something that could not be healed. What you did heal was Larry's broken heart when you gave him a new home and life where he felt loved and cherished. That was an incredible gift.

Please know we are all thinking of you, your DH and Ollie. Such a sad and heartbreaking time.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest IrskasMom

Adrianne,once again I am sitting here crying my Eyes out,this Time for Larry. You gave it your all and it was time for Larry to leave.Lots of Hugs for you , DH and sweet Ollie.I am sooo sorry. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug