Larry Is Not Crossing The Bridge Today

Guest Adrianne

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigorangedog

Hope that Adrianne doesn't mind me saying so, but I know y'all are worried about Larry! I got a message from her that he is doing better. Still can't get up on his own, but just needs a bit of a boost, and is not screaming in pain anymore. She feels that they may be on the right track now. I'll leave the rest of the details for her when she has time to update here. I don't think she's had much sleep!!

Hope that Adrianne doesn't mind me saying so, but I know y'all are worried about Larry! I got a message from her that he is doing better. Still can't get up on his own, but just needs a bit of a boost, and is not screaming in pain anymore. She feels that they may be on the right track now. I'll leave the rest of the details for her when she has time to update here. I don't think she's had much sleep!!

thanks Jen

Guest Adrianne

Thank you, Jen, for updating. I am trying to grab sleep while I can.

There is improvement, and I do see a difference in Larry. Before the shots, he had just given up on getting up. He showed zero interest and wouldn't even try. When we did get him up, it was a two man job and he would SCREAM in pain. Once on his feet, the weight had to be held off his front left leg for a minute or two while his circulation got going. Since the shots, he does still need a boost from behind to get on his feet. But just a slight boost. And there is no more yelping once he's up, and he's mobile almost immediately. He is interested again in getting up and is letting us know he wants to be up. The swelling in his leg is slowly going down; I know that will take time.

I slept in the living room with him last night. He went out at 8:00 and then slept til 1:00. We went out, and he came in and laid down. Fifteen minutes later, he decided he wanted to lie in a different spot, so I got him back up. He readjusted and slept the rest of the night. My hubby woke me at 5:30, and I went to bed for a bit of good rest. About 8:30, Jamie brought Larry back to the bedroom; he said he had been looking for me. Later I found out that Larry had come back to the bedroom on his own before that looking for me. I take that as a good sign.

I know we have a long road ahead of us with the underlying issues, but I'm very encouraged by what I've seen thus far.

Oh, I have to add this. Yesterday my mail was delivered yesterday at precisely 4:30--no exaggeration. In the mail was a package of goodies from Camp Greyhound. Instead of crying over the irony of something arriving right after Larry's death, I instead had the pleasure of doling out treats.

:yay :yay :yay

I'm so happy to hear that Larry is feeling better. I hope that he continues to improve.

Prayers and good thoughts are still coming your way.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Guest GentleHugs

Thank you, Jen, for updating. I am trying to grab sleep while I can.

There is improvement, and I do see a difference in Larry. Before the shots, he had just given up on getting up. He showed zero interest and wouldn't even try. When we did get him up, it was a two man job and he would SCREAM in pain. Once on his feet, the weight had to be held off his front left leg for a minute or two while his circulation got going. Since the shots, he does still need a boost from behind to get on his feet. But just a slight boost. And there is no more yelping once he's up, and he's mobile almost immediately. He is interested again in getting up and is letting us know he wants to be up. The swelling in his leg is slowly going down; I know that will take time.

I slept in the living room with him last night. He went out at 8:00 and then slept til 1:00. We went out, and he came in and laid down. Fifteen minutes later, he decided he wanted to lie in a different spot, so I got him back up. He readjusted and slept the rest of the night. My hubby woke me at 5:30, and I went to bed for a bit of good rest. About 8:30, Jamie brought Larry back to the bedroom; he said he had been looking for me. Later I found out that Larry had come back to the bedroom on his own before that looking for me. I take that as a good sign.

I know we have a long road ahead of us with the underlying issues, but I'm very encouraged by what I've seen thus far.

Oh, I have to add this. Yesterday my mail was delivered yesterday at precisely 4:30--no exaggeration. In the mail was a package of goodies from Camp Greyhound. Instead of crying over the irony of something arriving right after Larry's death, I instead had the pleasure of doling out treats.

Oh Adrianne..... thank you so much for taking the time to update us on Larry's progress. I know it's been difficult for you and Larry, too.

This update about Larry made my day today! :clap:colgate He's showing signs of improving little by little but baby steps are far better than the other.

You go Larry! :confetti

Honestly, I think all of this started with that cat incident and when Larry is doing much better, I'd go have a talk with that neighbor if you haven't already.

Guest Houndie

It is wonderful to have the update, and to have it be such encouraging news! I love that Larry went looking for you.:wub: What a sweetheart! I'm glad you're getting some rest when you can, and that Larry seems able to find a comfortable spot and position to sleep in, as well. Thank you again for taking such loving care of this sweet guy. Continued prayers for you all.

Good news, the steroids are working. If he's not too uncomfortable, see if you can't get him up every couple of hours, just a short walk say to the kitchen for a cookie or something like that. The longer he lays the more he will tend to swell. It doesn't take much, just getting up and switching positions is doing something. I'm glad to see he's improving!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Adrianne

Good news, the steroids are working. If he's not too uncomfortable, see if you can't get him up every couple of hours, just a short walk say to the kitchen for a cookie or something like that. The longer he lays the more he will tend to swell. It doesn't take much, just getting up and switching positions is doing something. I'm glad to see he's improving!

He is actually letting us know about every two hours that he wants to get up, so that has been a good thing.

It was my plan to get him up more during the night, but I was wiped out from lack of sleep and emotional distress and didn't wake up unless he did.

Steroids all but kept one of my babies alive for 3 years so I say - go steroids!!! Fingers crossed for Larry.

Edited by larock

What wonderful news! I am so happy for all of you and that treat story just touched my heart, as does Larry's sweet face.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Oh Adrianne, that is very encouraging! All of Larry's fans will be awaiting each update over the weekend. Sending the most powerful healing white light. Larry :kiss2

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Larry, I'm just checking in now and so happy that you are feeling better :clap It sounds as tho the more you can get comfortable the more you are able to heal. Wonderful news. Hope this continues, Adrianne, and you all can get some much needed rest. :grouphug We are keeping the light on here for you, buddy. :dogcookie

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

He is actually letting us know about every two hours that he wants to get up, so that has been a good thing.

It was my plan to get him up more during the night, but I was wiped out from lack of sleep and emotional distress and didn't wake up unless he did.

Your night sounds exactly like how it's going with Sparks. I had to make him get up twice today to pee otherwise, he doesn't want to move :( I had to help him the first time up but the other time, he got up on his own without any screaming. I need to remember to ask the vet if I should be making him walk some so that he doesn't get so stiff.

:grouphug

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest Adrianne

Your night sounds exactly like how it's going with Sparks. I had to make him get up twice today to pee otherwise, he doesn't want to move :( I had to help him the first time up but the other time, he got up on his own without any screaming. I need to remember to ask the vet if I should be making him walk some so that he doesn't get so stiff.

:grouphug

I can only tell you my experience. When Larry quit getting up so much, he started swelling. The more he swelled, the more painful it was for him to get up and the less he wanted to get up. Once this started, he swelled pretty quickly, and then it was horribly painful for him and became a two-man job to get him on his feet.