Larry Is Not Crossing The Bridge Today

Guest Adrianne

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news, the steroids are working. If he's not too uncomfortable, see if you can't get him up every couple of hours, just a short walk say to the kitchen for a cookie or something like that. The longer he lays the more he will tend to swell. It doesn't take much, just getting up and switching positions is doing something. I'm glad to see he's improving!

He is actually letting us know about every two hours that he wants to get up, so that has been a good thing.

It was my plan to get him up more during the night, but I was wiped out from lack of sleep and emotional distress and didn't wake up unless he did.

Your night sounds exactly like how it's going with Sparks. I had to make him get up twice today to pee otherwise, he doesn't want to move :( I had to help him the first time up but the other time, he got up on his own without any screaming. I need to remember to ask the vet if I should be making him walk some so that he doesn't get so stiff.

:grouphug

I can only tell you my experience. When Larry quit getting up so much, he started swelling. The more he swelled, the more painful it was for him to get up and the less he wanted to get up. Once this started, he swelled pretty quickly, and then it was horribly painful for him and became a two-man job to get him on his feet.

That's what I'm worried about. His leg does look swollen but it's not getting worse and the bruise isn't spreading. I did call my vet and she said to keep him quiet this weekend and if he only wants to get up 3 times a day, don't fret.

I also asked about heat or ice (it's his back causing the problems with his leg/walking) and she wasn't sure since this is a few days old already.

I just emailed my reg vet who is out of town about the ice/heat and acupuncture - have you thought about that for Larry?

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Wonderful news :clap

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Sending the warmest of good wishes for Larry. How is Ollie doing with all the upset and stress?

Edited to add: Just saw Cute and Funny post with the beautiful Ollie and Larry pics. Thanks for posting them.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest BleuDog

Sweet Larry wants to make sure his Mama does not run off on him!

I hope the household sleeps well tonight, and more progress is seen in the A.M.......

HUGS.......and always White Light shinning down on Sweet Larry.....

Its wonderful to see that there has been this improvement in Larry. Steroids were a miracle for Hobbes at a time we though we were going to lose him. We found it helped to think of his progress in terms of "baby steps". Slow, steady, and gently moving forward. I'll be sending all my goods thoughts and prayers for continued recovery to sweet Larry.

And hugs to you as well. You must be exhausted!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I know when I'm on steroids for respiratory issues I don't not sleep well and am more anxious or restless. Perhaps it's just the steroids making him a little more restless and I hope he did settle and you all got a good night's sleep.

Many thoughts and prayers will be coming your way for this sweet, sweet boy.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Checking in on Larry this morning and sending gentle scritchies to himself and his nurse Ollie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I know when I'm on steroids for respiratory issues I don't not sleep well and am more anxious or restless. Perhaps it's just the steroids making him a little more restless and I hope he did settle and you all got a good night's sleep.

Many thoughts and prayers will be coming your way for this sweet, sweet boy.

This.

Hope Larry had a good night afterall - and that you got some sleep!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:brokenheart

CandleLarry.jpg

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.