My precious Hollywood...

grey14me

She was perfectly fine yesterday. This morning she tried to get up and was very wobbly and then just laid back down on her bed. Her eyes were perfectly alert and focused and she was obviously not in any pain. She was not in a panic state which seemed unusual with her condition. She generally doesn't like help in any way and so it seemed even more alarming that she allowed us to carry her downstairs in a blanket and into the car. Our vet was nice enough to let us bring her in first thing, before he had to perform surgery on another dog. He is running blood tests and doing xrays and will call us as soon as he re-assesses her after his other surgery. It is obviously neurological in nature...she can't stand and doesn't even try to move her feet back into position. She lost control of her bowels while we were at the vet's and she didn't seem to notice or care. I won't know anyting for at least two more hours, but please, please keep her in your thoughts.

Holly was a rare greyhound...pretty much fearless. So easygoing and quirk-free. Loud noises didn't bother her...fireworks, no big deal. She had such a sense of curiosity. We'd be walking and a kid would come skateboarding around the corner, right at us, and she'd look up at him as if to say 'cool wheels, dude', turn her head back forward and start trotting.

That was another thing...Holly didn't walk, she trotted. She would have to be real tired to just walk. Holly peed like a boy. I've actually seen her rest her leg on a tree while peeing.

Holly was happiest upside down, all four legs in the air. I smiled every time I walked in a room and saw her like that...she just seemed so blissful. If you were walking into the kitchen, she would move her head so that her eyes followed you, but she'd stay upside down until she was sure there was something yummy coming her way...then she'd just slowly let herself tip over and stretch her head out for a treat.

She loved her stuffies. If you'd just gotten home, she would run grab one out of her basket, bring it up to you and just shove it into your stomach. The stuffie bump is what her dogsitter called it.

Holly was not a drama queen. She never cried wolf. She once got her shoulder opened up by another dog and I didn't even know until she calmly walked up and stood in front of me, just looking at me and waiting for me to notice the blood. If you accidently stepped on her and immediately said 'oh, I'm sorry sweetie', she would just wiggle and wag and act like she didn't know why you were giving her all this extra attention but she was sure happy to get it.

Nothing bothered her...except going to the vet. And that is the only good thing I can say about losing her this way. She seemed to be unaware of where she was. The vet said it was most likely a blood clot/stroke. She felt no pain. Amazingly, she was very calm. She deteriorated quite rapidly though. She had no movement below the neck at all when we took her in and by the time we went back to the vet, she was losing control of her tongue and her left eye was beginning to wander. I am not even sure that she recognized us...but we were there for her. Her head was resting on my arm and we talked to her and it was very peaceful.

And while I've always said that Bailey was my heart dog...Holly has always been my joy. You could not be with her and be sad. She was an extremely special girl and I will always miss her.

tn_gallery_2175_3003_14090.jpg

med_gallery_2175_3003_86994.jpg

tn_gallery_2175_3003_39644.jpg

tn_gallery_2175_3003_9383.jpg

Edited by grey14me

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Com'n Holly! You'll be FINE!

Mich-keeping you both in my prayers.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Sending prayers for your girlie and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Adding prayers and hoping for the best. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

oh no! sending many prayers for Holly! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh no......sending healing thoughts your way. :hope :hope And a couple of :grouphug :grouphug too.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound