Robin Is A Total Mess--Our Poor Baby

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aw, poor Robin! It does sound like a serious allergy, but could be autoimmune, too sad.gif

When Sugar was on a restriced diet, the vet told me I could make treats for her by slicing the canned food thin, putting it on a cookie sheet, and putiing it in a low over (200-250) until it dried out (about 45 min) and use that as a treat. It was a pain to make, but gave her some variety. She was on potato & vennison also.

Poor guy. It sounds like scabies almost to the book, but I am sure that's been ruled out. I really hope he feels better soon.

I believe that things like scabies are so highly contagious that with Toby and Robin frequently swapping beds and coming into close contact with each other that if one had it the other one would be pretty likely to catch it too. At least that's what I read online. Don't know if that's correct or not.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Oh, poor Robin! :ohno I'm only just seeing this. It sounds miserable for him, poor boy :(

Sending lots of good thoughts, let's hope they figure out what it is asap. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

My resident dogs never get scabies from strays- they have stronger immune systems. And it takes weeks or months before the mites get "desperate" enough to try a human. They cannot complete their life cycle on a human. That said, Revolution takes care of scabies, as does a high than normal dose of ivermectin... so it's easy to rule it out without having to do a scraping.

And it takes weeks or months before the mites get "desperate" enough to try a human. They cannot complete their life cycle on a human.

This seems to be true of dog scabies, but there is a human variety - I caught it once myself. The stuff they painted on me was wicked. Talk about burn!!

But yes, if the dogs live together and share beds, they can certainly catch it from each other very easily. :nod

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Our son is on his way to the vet to pick Robin up. He's going to be on prednisone and an antibiotic (I think she said it was cephalexin but am not sure) for the next few weeks. And starting venison and potato food. The venison and potato food he's starting is royal canin but that is horrifically expensive...$53 for a 16 pound bag. I can't afford to feed him this on a day to day basis. I am wondering if any potato and venison food would work and if so, do you guys have recommendations on a less expensive brand? I sure hope he's feeling better. I'll take some pics of him when I get home so you can see what we're dealing with. The vet said the shot he received today and the meds he's started today will make him feel better so no shampooing or topical stuff is needed.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Natural Balance makes a limited ingredient Sweet Potato & Venison food. It's @ half that price (or @ the same price but for a @ 30 lb bag). Here the Petco's carry it. ..... When Zema was on her most restricted diet I made oven-baked potato chips for her -- slice raw potato very thin, put on cookie sheet in oven @ 350 until dry and crisp; they shrink a lot. Doesn't work with sweet potatoes -- too much sugar.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Natural Balance makes a limited ingredient Sweet Potato & Venison food. It's @ half that price (or @ the same price but for a @ 30 lb bag). Here the Petco's carry it. ..... When Zema was on her most restricted diet I made oven-baked potato chips for her -- slice raw potato very thin, put on cookie sheet in oven @ 350 until dry and crisp; they shrink a lot. Doesn't work with sweet potatoes -- too much sugar.

Thanks so much for the info!!

Many prayers....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest caiteag

The Natural Balance Vension and Sweet Potato food is what Choo is on with her food sensitivity issues and she has done great. That being said, her issues are digestive, rather than skin based... but it is a very good food. My fingers are crossed for poor Robin... whatever is causing this, it can't be fun for the poor dear.

Guest freightsmom

I'm going through somewhat of the same thing with Freight, skin issues that his dermatologist can't even straighten out. We were already feeding Natural Balance Lamb & Rice and have switched over to the Venison & Sweet Potato, which is more expensive...yikes! The good thing about NB is if you buy at Petco, once you buy 10 bags, you get a coupon for a free bag of food. Plus, there are often coupons at Petco's site online to bring the cost down a few bucks.

Hope Robin's problems are solved soon, I know how frustrating this is for you.

how horrible for him and for you :( :( :( :(

sending many prayers for your sweet boy. :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:goodluck that the pred buys relief, and that the food change does the trick.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Poor Robin. My favorite cowbaby boy.

Ollie had some skin issues and tummy issues. Once we changed to raw, it all went away... just saying! he is the only one of our 5 that eats total raw. And he eats duck.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I just saw this thread and skimmed through the responses so apologies is this has been covered - have scrapings or whatever sample is appropriate been taken and cultured? Might help? Hope the treatment and new diet give your boy some relief - the medicated shampoo also sounds hopeful if your vet approves.

Sending healing thoughts for Robin, and will now be watching for updates.

I am trying to remain calm, but inside I'm freaking out. The vet called me on my way out of the office. She said it wouldn't hurt to give him a bath with oatmeal shampoo. I know I feel better when I've had a bath so DH and I loaded the moose into our tub--which he barely fits into--and bathed him.

Before I gave him a bath, I took some pictures. These are not for the squeamish. Look at how horrible this is. I am totally paranoid that he has some horrible condition like the one that poor Ranchie had.

Right cheek and face:

robinskin001.jpg

Left ear:

robinskin003.jpg

Left eye area:

robinskin004.jpg

Hard to see but some of the bumps he has on his chest and inside of his legs

robinskin005.jpg

Left ear close up:

robinskin008.jpg

Right ear close up:

robinskin010.jpg

After he had his bath and we dried him very gently, he didn't come when I called him for dinner. I brought his venison and potato food over and he still wouldn't eat it. So I hand fed him piece by piece and after a while he was taking a few pieces at a time out of my hand and then he transitioned over and scarfed down everything in his bowl.

Then I gave him 2 cephalexin and 1 of his prednisone bills. Oh, and earlier I'd posted that he had a prednisone shot for quick relief earlier in the day but it's actually a cortisone shot that he had. I am hoping and praying that this condition starts turning around soon. Some GT'ers had suggested pimphigus (sorry if I didn't spell that right). Our vet said that that could be diagnosed if he ends up undergoing a biopsy. I am really hoping it doesn't come to that but we will see. Right now he's sacked out next to me asleep in front of a fan (which he loves) and I'm sitting here crying. :weep.

Poor bumpy boy :( . Be forewarned, prednisone is liable to make him drink and pee more, at least for the first 5-10 days. So don't be surprised if he has a few "I just couldn't hold it, mom" accidents. Not his fault. Glad he ate for you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

holy cow, rita! i am just seeing this now. i am so sorry to see what robin is going through. we will think good thoughts for your boy and hope this condition improves. poor doggie. poor rita. :(

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan