Robin Is A Total Mess--Our Poor Baby

Rita, I have been flat out at work and unable to check GreyTalk much. I have been thinking about Robin and you, though, and was just checking for an update. Your poor, poor boy. I see you are now waiting for the result of the culture. I hope you get some answers soon :(:grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Here is our latest update. Yesterday was bad. Robin didn't want to eat. The entire day he ate only 1/4 cup of the venison/potato food. :(

This morning I fed him breakfast and he refused it.

Our vet said we needed to find out if he had no appetite at all or if he just hated the venison/potato food. So we offered him his regular food for lunch, and he scarfed it down! And he ate his dinner tonight, again with gusto, and he ate 1/2 raw hamburger patty too. So we were happy he ate.

His skin looks slightly less red and a little more whitish/pinkish to us. Instead of having new open red craters, it looks more like dry skin flaking off. Maybe this is wishful thinking on our part. And we still don't know what's causing it. Vet wants to try him on duck/potato food. Luckily since the royal canin venison/potato has a money back guarantee, I'll get a full refund on that and use it toward the duck/potato which also has a money back guarantee.

Most importantly, Robin acted happy today! He was back to carefully choosing a toy out of his toy basket before he'd go out to the backyard (a cute quirk he has), and this afternoon when the boys came home from school he was waiting at the door for them with his football in his mouth. So I think he's feeling better. He still looks awful but we hope he's at least not as miserable as he was. And of course we really need to find out what caused this. So please keep those prayers and good thoughts coming!

Robin this afternoon: Still bald of course but maybe not quite so red?

robinskin0902004.jpg

robinskin0902001.jpg

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

So glad to hear he's feeling like playing, at least. He seems such a cheerful dog -- can imagine how worried you've been to see him down in the dumps. All fingers and toes crossed that you and your vet can get to the bottom of his skin problem.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I DO think it looks better! Have you put Revolution on?

No because she said next time he needed his dose of heartworm preventative med he'd have to switch to revolution but I had only given him a dose of heartgard about 10 days or so before all this started happening so he's not ready to get flea stuff again yet.

Edited by fsugrad

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Glad to hear that Robin is a bit perkier today :) That is so cute, choosing a toy to take outside. Fritz does that every day, except he just grabs whatever toy is nearby :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm so glad to hear he's feeling better! It does look a bit less red and angry, doesn't it?

When Sid had his gut flora wiped out by a strong antibiotic and the vet put him on a special food + probiotics, he ate it fine for a while and then just flat out refused. I rang and told them he'd gone on 'hunger strike' and I had a call back pretty quickly! She didn't want to believe it at first but I homecooked the proteins she wanted him to have and he was back to eating in two seconds flat. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest TeddysMom

I know this will probably sound silly to some but I have a non-grey that has the worst skin issues I have ever seen. She has been on every medication you can think of and had more skin scrapes and tests than I can count. I think she allergic to everything in the environment so she ends up with infections, sores, fungus and everything else. Someone suggested that I start spraying her with Listerine everyday and although I didn't think it would do any good I figured it wouldn't hurt her, I tried it. She is so much better, is not always scratching and her hair is actually coming back in better than it has in 8 years. She will never have clear skin but at least she is not red, inflamed and nor on antibiotics and antifungal meds all the time now.

Guest Energy11

He DOES look MUCH better! Really!

Cari, our VERY finicky dog, LOVED Royal Canin Duck and Potatoe when I worked at the vet in Florida! She didn't "need it" for anything, but loved it! I have a feeling Robin will too!

Good Luck and continuing good thoughts!

So here is the latest update. We still don't have any answers as to what is causing Robin's skin problem.

Culture came back negative--if that's the right term for it. He doesn't have mange. He doesn't itch. The crusty bumps he used to have, have for the most part gone away. The only place he still has a few crusties are on the tips of both ears. His ears are pretty bald and he has bald patches on his both sides of his face and around his eyes. The bald skin has gone from red with bumps to white/flaking off to now pink.

He is still on cephalexin 4 pills per day and is taking prednisone every other day now.

He's eating like a champ, as usual. He refused to eat the venison and potato food but he likes the duck and potato food. We are still plodding forward with this whole food allergy thing, which I have a hard time believing but when every other test seems to come back negative, what else is there? He is going for a thyroid panel this week. Our vet said she will ship it to (I think) Michigan State Univ as she is pleased with the thyroid feedback she receives from them.

So while he's very comfortable and personality wise is back to his old self, we still have no idea what caused this reaction. :(

Here are pictures I took today. I'm so tired of not knowing what exactly is wrong with our beautiful boy. :weep

robinskin0911004.jpg

robinskin0911001.jpg

robinskin0911002.jpg

I'm so glad he's going in the right direction towards healing. But how frustrating to not know what it is/was and how to keep it from happening again. Hugs to you.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Well, I'm glad he seems to be feeling okay, but I'm bummed that they can't figure it out.

Have you explored the possibility of an autoimmune disorder like lupus? It primarily presents with issues with the toenails and the nose, but some dogs have skin issues without the other stuff. When I first got Pinky, her skin on her face was irritated looking like that. She'd never had the scabby bumpy type things you describe, but the skin around her eyes was reddish/dark pink. She takes a lot of supplements to help - vitamin E, fish oil capusues, Niacinamide (NOT Niacin), and she also takes tetracycline.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Well, I'm glad he seems to be feeling okay, but I'm bummed that they can't figure it out.

Have you explored the possibility of an autoimmune disorder like lupus? It primarily presents with issues with the toenails and the nose, but some dogs have skin issues without the other stuff. When I first got Pinky, her skin on her face was irritated looking like that. She'd never had the scabby bumpy type things you describe, but the skin around her eyes was reddish/dark pink. She takes a lot of supplements to help - vitamin E, fish oil capusues, Niacinamide (NOT Niacin), and she also takes tetracycline.

Is this something that can be found out through doing a biopsy? Because that was another possibility that has been mentioned.

Guest kelli123

Sorry they haven't found out the cause yet. But he does look so much better. Robin knows you are doing all that you can to make him better, So good thoughts for all of you and keep up the good work. He does really look allot better from the first pic you posted.

Guest LindsaySF

I'm still thinking Staph infection. Glad he's on cephalexin. I would try chlorhexidine shampoo and spray as well. If the bumps come back once the meds are done he probably needs to be on them for longer. Good luck! He does look better. :)