Robin Is A Total Mess--Our Poor Baby

:grouphug is about all I've got for ya, hon. We'll be hoping real hard that things get better fast for Robin and you!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor guy. Hope the meds make a difference and he's feeling better by tomorrow.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest mcsheltie

Like I said in my earlier post... Did he do a scraping, check it under a microscope and do a culture? If this is bacterial, yeast, fungus, ringworm and not an allergy, Pred will make it worse...

Guest kelli123

First off I'm so sorry Robin has this so bad and maybe we can help each other out.

My girl is developing the same symptoms around her eye. She was treated when she was in the prison program with something only referred to as a eye infection. I have been trying to get information on what they used to clear it up but cant get any help. in her prison letters just states eye infection treating and it had cleared up. Well now its back acouple weeks ago it rared its ugly head. I am hoping it wont spread. It seems to be itchy some times. It has gotten a little better in the last couple days i have been using peroxide on it. here is a couple pic of her eye. she is also a cow doggie.

100_0565.jpg

100_0567.jpg

whole body pic

100_0455.jpg

IF any one knows how to get prison records of there vet visits maybe we can help each other on this .. We will be praying for Robin . Kelli

Guest mbfilby

I didn't see this mentioned so forgive me if I missed it.. The pictures look very much like mange to me. Have they done scrapings and ruled that out?

Like I said in my earlier post... Did he do a scraping, check it under a microscope and do a culture? If this is bacterial, yeast, fungus, ringworm and not an allergy, Pred will make it worse...

Yes, a few weeks ago they scraped and tested for mange--not mange, and today she scraped for ringworm but said it would take a week to get that culture back.

First off I'm so sorry Robin has this so bad and maybe we can help each other out.

My girl is developing the same symptoms around her eye. She was treated when she was in the prison program with something only referred to as a eye infection. I have been trying to get information on what they used to clear it up but cant get any help. in her prison letters just states eye infection treating and it had cleared up. Well now its back acouple weeks ago it rared its ugly head. I am hoping it wont spread. It seems to be itchy some times. It has gotten a little better in the last couple days i have been using peroxide on it. here is a couple pic of her eye. she is also a cow doggie.

100_0565.jpg

100_0567.jpg

whole body pic

100_0455.jpg

IF any one knows how to get prison records of there vet visits maybe we can help each other on this .. We will be praying for Robin . Kelli

OMG it does look like your poor cowgirl may have something similar. Keep a close eye on it because in 3 days, Robin's spread and worsened like crazy. I am so sorry you're having to go through this too. Hope you get an answer very soon.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest kelli123

They said they had got it cleared up when she was at prison. but i don't know what they used. If I We could find out some how what they used or diagnosed this as maybe it could help both of us . Its not ring worm or mange that has been ruled out on Dove. So that is prob not what is causing Robins problems either. Does his eye run? Doves runs and then the rash or what ever it is has developed? This is awful for you guys Robins is awful i Hope we can get answers and help .

Poor baby boy, I hope you get some answers soon! I could be way off base but some of it reminds me of Lupus (systemic, not discoid)

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Looking at those pics I couldn't agree more with Julie!! I would do a scrape and a skin cytology asap. I'll be honest- I can't really believe that wasn't already done.

Oops -- posted too soon - just read that an earlier scraping was done-- I sure would scrape again!

Edited by tbhounds

Looking at those pics I couldn't agree more with Julie!! I would do a scrape and a skin cytology asap. I'll be honest- I can't really believe that wasn't already done.

Oops -- posted too soon - just read that an earlier scraping was done-- I sure would scrape again!

They scraped again today. Waiting on culture results.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest mcsheltie

Fungal cultures take 10 days. Even at day 8 the color can still be changing and the diagnosis at that time would be incorrect. He's been on a Cepha drug twice already and it hasn't cleared it up. So I wonder why she is doing it a third time.

As far as the food goes, you will have to take a CLOSE look at ALL the other ingredients. If the fat source is one he has had before, or any of the ingredients are the same, then this may not do the trick. This especially hard to do with dogs you have not had from birth. Non-veterinary limited ingredient diets usually use chicken fat and other common ingredients. That is why the truly limited ingredient diets are so expensive. With the diet your vets is prescribing there are only four ingredients to react to, potato, venison, canola oil and salmon oil.

The other alternative is feeding a protein source he has never had exclusively for thirty days. This will not be a balanced diet. But this is a true elimination diet. And it will not create any problems short term.

Fungal cultures take 10 days. Even at day 8 the color can still be changing and the diagnosis at that time would be incorrect. He's been on a Cepha drug twice already and it hasn't cleared it up. So I wonder why she is doing it a third time.

As far as the food goes, you will have to take a CLOSE look at ALL the other ingredients. If the fat source is one he has had before, or any of the ingredients are the same, then this may not do the trick. This especially hard to do with dogs you have not had from birth. Non-veterinary limited ingredient diets usually use chicken fat and other common ingredients. That is why the truly limited ingredient diets are so expensive. With the diet your vets is prescribing there are only four ingredients to react to, potato, venison, canola oil and salmon oil.

The other alternative is feeding a protein source he has never had exclusively for thirty days. This will not be a balanced diet. But this is a true elimination diet. And it will not create any problems short term.

Yep, the vet and I had this same conversation. She really implored me to keep him on the royal canin for several weeks (she said I could buy it wherever I wanted, doesn't have to be from her) because the royal canin venison and potato has a more controlled group of ingredients than some of the other venison and potato formulas. One online site I saw even requires a vet rx to buy this food. And the alternative she told me was to feed him a totally diff protein source as you mention...she'd suggested ostrich or rabbit. So we'll stick with the Royal Canin for several weeks and see what happens. Robin is sleeping soundly right now and that makes me happy because when he's asleep he's not licking.

Robin, we are sending hugs, kisses and healing thoughts your way. Hope you feel better real soon

Maddie and her hooman amy

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest freightsmom

100_0455.jpg

Kelli, was the prison program 2nd chance at Life? If so, contact me and I'll be more than happy to help you.

Could be a staph infection - they are really hard to get rid of. Riley had it for years, it would go away with abx and steroids, but then come back. If it is staph, get Chlorhexiderm shampoo and bathe him every other day for a week, then as needed. After getting this shampoo, I never had to put Riley on meds again and eventually it went away forever.

My guess is staph too. Lucy got me using that shampoo on Shanti and it cleared up. For us we think the high predisone and imuran knocked her system down so far she got it. The Chlorhexiderm will make your pup so soft!!!

The Girls

When Shanti had staph, she had blisters, crustys and her fur fell off. She actually shed off all the fur and a lot of skin on her tail. I learned the hard way that it was VERY painful! They did confirm it with a biopsy.

Hope they get you answers soon!

The Girls

Guest Greytluv

My Piglet had demodectic mange. It took months to get rid of. The first picture isn't very good. She had open wounds and lost most of her hair. This is an extreme case.

Piglet003.jpg

Piglet217-1.jpg

And here she is now wub.gif She hasn't had an outbreak again and it's been 2 years. I just love this little girl :inlove

DSC_0155-1.jpg

Jim had demodectic mange, too - he was pink and hairless over half his body when we adopted him. But if it were demodex, it would get dramatically worse when prednisolone was given, because pathogenic demodectic mange in dogs tends to be immune mediated and when you suppress the immune system with pred, the demodex gets the upper hand and goes crazy.

Poor girl. I would say 'gentle scritches' but that's probably not the best thing to suggest right now! I hope you find the cause soon.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop