Update-Dexter Has Osteosarcoma

Guest BradyzMommy

Guest BradyzMommy

Dexter jumped on the couch about 3 weeks ago and hyper-extended his left front leg. He immediately started limping, but had no problem running, jumping and being his usual self. In the last week, it has gotten much worse. X-rays don't show a clean break. X-rays show some shady areas around the socket/joint. The x-rays are being sent to a radiologist to read. We probably won't have final confirmation until Monday. He had a sedative yesterday so that they could take the x-rays. I knew that he would be in pain simply from that, but was not expecting what we have now. I was up all night with him because he wouldnt stop crying and "screaming" everytime he moved. He is also vomiting now and our vet suspects that is from the amount of pain he is in as opposed to a reaction to the sedative. I'm not sure what they used. The bottom line is that he is in horrible pain and we have no answers. DH is taking him right now to get an injection of a pain med. Has anyone here used injectable pain meds? If so, which

Edited by BradyzMommy

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about Dexter!

I would say, a shot of Metacam would be good, BUT, he is on Pred. Once off the Pred, you could try Metacam.

You could ask the vet about giving regular Metacam. It comes in a good-tasting liquid form, with an easy-dosing syringe (you give it by mouth). This really helped a good friend of mine's Greyt, who had Osteo. MIGHT be the ticket for Dexter. Tramadol is just a painkiller, whereas Metacam is a Non-Steriodal Anti-Inflammatory Drug.

Sending lots of hugs and prayers. I hope whatever the vets gives him, helps his pain!

Guest BradyzMommy

Well, our boy is at the vet now and is getting injections of several strong pain meds. I only remember that one of them is a small dose of valium. At this point, he wont even try to stand on that leg and just cries continuously. I really hope they figure this out soon.

Thanks for the advice.

Guest BradyzMommy

He was given a small dose of acepromazine and buprinex. I know that there can be sensitivity to the Ace, but he is with the vet instead of at home which makes me feel a little better. They are going to keep him all afternoon in the hopes that they can give him a break from the pain. I HATE seeing my pups in pain and really wish they could talk.

Guest BradyzMommy

We are waiting to find out the first available appt for a bone biopsy. Does anyone know what that involves?

I'm working with a migraine here, but I'm thinking "bone biopsy" is not good.....hopefully they're talking needle biopsy. JaVae had a bone biopsy done on Rio when he had his bone cancer and it weakened his leg (they took a piece of bone out to biopsy). The leg swelled up and he was miserable the week between the biopsy and the time she had him PTS.

If it were me, I would not do a bone biopsy.

eta: goodluck.gif that it's not bone cancer. Call me or Sharon later if you need to. grouphug.gif

Edited by greypuppyluv

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I've also read that a biopsy will weaken the bone and make it more susceptible to breaking.

Prayers for your sweetie.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

A fine needle aspirate is much less evasive and has a good result most of the time. (not as good as a bone biopsy). But it is nowhere as bad as doing a biopsy.

Onyx needed stitches last night and she was given an injectible pain med. The vet said it was similar to Novox (rhimadyl). It held her over all night.

I hope you get good news.

Oh no, your poor baby :( I hope they can ease his pain and figure out what's wrong in a hurry

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest tricolorhounds

Oh! No! Steph... I'm so very sorry to hear that Dexter is not doing well.

Good thing he is at the Vet, we gave Bonky a dose of Ace when he had his stitches... didn't calm him down at all, in fact, he had a delayed reaction (8 hours later) and started screaming like he was dying (in the car of course, on the way home from Dr Lewis') and then he passed out. I threw the rest of the bottle away!

Will be keeping Dexter in my thought :grouphug and for you and Steve :grouphug

Don't do a bone biopsy. Do a fine needle aspirate. What did the radiologist say?

Also pass on the NSAID shots -- they have the highest rate of nasty side effects if he is going to have a side effect. Many vets underdose tramadol.

Rob Roy was in extreme pain after his altercation with Austin. It took acupuncture & chiropractic treatment to relieve his pain.

Has he been tested for Valley Fever?

Sending many prayers.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I've also read that a biopsy will weaken the bone and make it more susceptible to breaking.

This is what happened to Rio. The biopsy weakened his leg and it broke. sad.gif JaVae was not aware that this could happen or she would not have had it done.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Can you have Dr. Couto look at the x-ray asap? Have you heard back from the radiologist?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but, with that much pain and the cloudness seen on the radiograph you might expect bad "C" news. I would most certainly try to get the pain under control (I know you're trying)--nsaids, tramadol and Gabapentin is a good combo. Buprenex works well with some dogs but, unlike in cats it can't be given orally it does need to be injected (Im or SQ)in dogs. Do not have the bone biopsy done--a fine needle aspirate is preferred with Greyhounds. If your vet is not comfortable doing the FNA I'm sure he/she can call OSU for advise.

Sorry you are going through this--I'll hold a good thought for your both.

When we were dealing with this, Dr. Couto told me that he never recommends bone biopsies for greys. I strongly recommend that you have the vet send the xrays to Dr. Couto and his team for help interpreting and diagnosing. They can also help your vet with the next steps, including pain management.

Good luck, and I'm very, very sorry.

Edit to add: couto.1@osu.edu

Edited by CMoon75
gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

You are getting good advice from people who know more than I do. I can only say I am sorry you and Dexter are going through this.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest BradyzMommy

We've decided that we do not want a bone biosy. I can only imagine how much more pain that would cause and if it is cancer, it would only weaken the bone. We are going to ask for the bone aspiration instead; less invasive. Our vet took the x-rays, didnt like what he saw and sent them out to a radiologist to read. She was the one who recommended the bone biopsy immediately. We have an appointment tomorrow at ACCIM/VSS in Tustin. They have really great vets and are extremely helpful and honest. We are also going to have him checked for Valley Fever because I know that looks similar to cancer in an x-ray. We are hoping that we come home with good news tomorrow, but are prepared for the worst case scenario. Right now, he is on acepromazine and buprinex at night for the pain. It seems to be working and it calm him down enough that he can get some sleep. For some reason, the Tramadol only caused more anxiety. Who knows? Maybe its just some weird shadow that means nothing. Well, anyway, thats what I'm hoping for. Thanks for all of the greyt advice!

Ah, your poor boy.....I'm so hoping that it is not bad news, and keeping you both in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so sorry you and Dexter have to go through this. Hoping for the best outcome from your doctor's visit tomorrow.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds