Miss Rose - Don't Roses Bloom

rycezmom

Miss Rose came into this house and into my heart in early September 2009, shortly after being bounced back into the adoption kennel after being in a home for seven years. She was a tiny little thing, nine years old and seemingly no bigger than a minute. Her eyes seemed to be too big for her face and she had a funny little snaggle tooth. She was, none the less, as all hounds are, a little beauty. She was delicate of size and frame and was dwarfed beside Gustopher P. He took one look at her as she came through the door that day and scowled at me as if to say "What?!?! Another girlie to wear on my last good nerve?" After a few good sniffs his countenance seemed to soften and melt into one of an enamored teenager.

Gustopher P, who has always been the loner of the pack, seemed to take Miss Rose under his wing, soon becoming her protector and self appointed guardian. One to never share his sleep space or his man-cave, Gus became her constant companion in the house, allowing her to enter his immediate space. He would move himself to the living room beds if that is where she wished to rest. He would occasionally let her share his bed of the moment, moving over to make room for her tiny little self to join him. She had him wrapped around her little toe, allowing him to fuss over and protect her. My big man has always had a spot in his heart for the little girlies in his life.

Miss Rose came to me with a seemingly endless list of small and worrisome medical problems. We dealt with them as they came up and Gus continued to care for her as if she were his own prized possession. He seemed to know before anyone else when she was not feeling well. When my vet called me to tell me that he had found a tumor on her chest x-ray my heart sank and my world tilted a little off its axis. After much discussion, soul searching and many sleepless nights, I made the decision to keep her as comfortable as possible and let her live out her time, however long that may be, happy and unmarred by large invasive and painful surgical procedures. And this she has done.

Her symptoms and behavior have changed over the last few weeks and I have watched her with a pain in my heart, knowing that my time with her was drawing to an end. Gus has stayed close to her and deferred to her needs over his own. He stood in the kitchen this morning and watched as she turned away from her favorite food. His face was one of sadness as he kissed the side of her face where her lip sagged slightly. He licked her eye gently where, overnight, it seemed to have quit seeing or blinking.

I said goodbye to my tiny waif child this morning. It was, as always, difficult. My heart hurts, not only for me, but for my big man of the house who has cared so lovingly for her over these many months. Gustopher seemed to know when I came home without his precious Rose, that she would not be returning back to him. He wears her collar on his big strong neck along with his own. He is staying close to me, I think to console me as well as himself.

I will not mourn my soft sweet and tiny little waif child. I will celebrate her life. Another blessed hound who was loved, adored, cared for and cherished. Another special hound who was given a couch and a family of her own. And I am doubly blessed to have had the opportunity to love, care for, cherish and adore her. Gus and I will truly miss our little Miss Rose.

R-1.jpg

R-2.jpg

R-3.jpg

R-4.jpg

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry you and Gus had to say goodbye to her. I have no doubt that if anyone asked her, she'd say, "That last home of mine? It was the stuff dreams are made of."

Godspeed, precious little girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a beautiful tribute...I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Aw, I'm so sorry that Rose is gone. Hugs to you and Gus P and your pack.

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest 3greysinPA

What a touching beautiful tribute to a adorable little girlie.... thank you for sharing that with us.. it was very moving. :cry1:grouphug

God Speed Miss Rose :f_pink

What a wonderful tribute--what a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry. :f_pink

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Guest wmlcml6

I am so sorry your Rose is gone. What a beautiful remembrance post. You and Batmom both made me cry.

HUGS to you, Lesley. Maybe you could pass one along to GPJ from me, too.

What a lovely, eloquent tribute to your special little girl. I'm so glad she was able to spend her last months with someone who loved and understood her so well. Though her time was way too short in your home, she will be in your heart forever.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Rose.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest greyt2love

What a lovely tribute, Lesley. I'm sorry Rose had to leave you and Gustopher, but while she was there she knew what love meant. She was a lovely lady !

I hope Miss Rose can find my Rex at the Bridge. I just lost him on Tuesday evening and I'm sure he's still a little lost and lonely. He was used to having all "his girls" to look out for, and I know he will do an excellent job of looking out for your Rose. Gustopher can trust Rex to take over for him .

Hugs to all of you!

deb

Oh Lesley, I'm so very sorry. What an amazing tribute to such a beautiful girl. I'm so glad you had the time you did together. Give Gustopher P a kiss for me and tell him I'm so sorry he's lost his special girl.

Godspeed Miss Rose. :f_red

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thank you for sharing your beautiful tribute to Miss Rose. Her looks and personality were a prize given to you from above.

Take comfort in knowing you sweet girl is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind. We all share your sorrow.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Once again, your words reach through to my very soul. I am so sorry she had to leave so soon, and I will say a special prayer for you and for Gus, her guardian.

God speed to you baby girl, for you truly know how very much you are loved and will be greatly missed.

Please watch over those who love you and are left behind with broken hearts

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless