I Need Some Serious Prayers!

Guest littlesyd85

Your poor baby girl. :( Hoping she has a quick recovery and sending lots of prayers and light her way. :hope:heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:goodluck that OSU can get her well on the road to recovery.

I'm so sorry about Lena.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Sending lots of prayers your way, poor Monarch.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Maybe you and Dr. Bill and OSU can brainstorm a bit about the physics of things -- what do you have to immobilize so that that wound will -1- hold stitches, and -2- heal? Suspect you'll want a sling for her if you don't have one yet. (That sounds self-evident and stupid, I know ... but ... there might be some ways of bandaging that don't directly address the wound but that help keep surrounding skin from stretching so as to pull the stitches out again. Might make her mucho uncomfortable for the 6 weeks but any port in a storm ....)

Sending lots of prayers for your beautiful pup.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, how horrible for you all! I am so sorry. :cry1 So sorry that you lost Lena, that is bad enough, but now poor Monarch is going through this... :bighug

You're lucky to have Dr Bill as your vet, and have the resources of OSU at your disposal. If anyone can save her, they will.

Random thought - sometimes dogs do better if they can be helped to be mobile - as long as the wound situation is under control. I wonder if it would be worth looking into a front end cart for her, temporarily, while her shoulder and elbow heal? Maybe there is one somewhere you could borrow? :dunno I would worry about atrophy of the muscles during a long healing process, since she's a tripod to begin with, and it might help to keep a little movement in that limb while preventing her trying to weight-bear too early. Talk to the vets?

I hear you on the tripod thing. Sid (rear leg amputee) fell while running in the snow a few weeks back, and slid for about ten feet, screaming all the way. He's okay, but my heart was in my mouth, and in that moment I realised that for a tripod, life is indeed that fragile at times. If he'd hurt that other rear leg, we'd have been in the same position as you.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Still thinking of Monarch ... and I wondered if you knew about the Tripawds forum? You might get some further help and insights there. It's purely for amputee dogs and their owners, so there's a lot of knowledge and experience.

Edited by silverfish

First a grouphug.gif for your loss of Lena. I'm so sorry about this. Sending lots of white light candle.gif and healing thoughts hope.gif for Monarch.

I wish I had advice... but I'm sending many, many prayers and hugs to you!

Oh I did think of one thing... I've heard that Manuka honey will help heal the wound... It can't hurt to try!

I'd like to second this about the Manuka honey. Recently Nadir got a terrible infection from a splint he had to wear. When the vet cleaned out the wound he was left with a large open wound that was about an 1-1/2" in diameter and 5/8" deep, which was coincidentally at his elbow also, that could not be held with stitches. I used a healing Manuka honey with a UMF of 15. I applied the honey to a sterile telfa pad and put that over the wound and wrapped his elbow/leg up with the stretching type bandaging to hold in place. The tricky thing was not to wrap it too tight so as to impair circulation. Anyway the Manuka honey did a beautiful job of healing this wound and he is only left with the tiniest of scars from this, considering how large the wound was.

I'd like to second this about the Manuka honey. Recently Nadir got a terrible infection from a splint he had to wear. When the vet cleaned out the wound he was left with a large open wound that was about an 1-1/2" in diameter and 5/8" deep, which was coincidentally at his elbow also, that could not be held with stitches. I used a healing Manuka honey with a UMF of 15. I applied the honey to a sterile telfa pad and put that over the wound and wrapped his elbow/leg up with the stretching type bandaging to hold in place. The tricky thing was not to wrap it too tight so as to impair circulation. Anyway the Manuka honey did a beautiful job of healing this wound and he is only left with the tiniest of scars from this, considering how large the wound was.

Yes, me too - I'll second the Manuka honey. I gave some to my 88 year old mother to help an ulcer on her shin and it healed completely within a couple of weeks. It's wonderful stuff, but do get the medical grade, otherwise you risk introducing bacteria into the wound.