Wilbur Back To The Vet

Guest Adrianne

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greysonly

Please don't feel like you failed him. You didn't know. You have given him nothing but love and he knows that. I am so sorry for you to get that bad news of Cancer. :cry1:grouphug It is so hard getting that news. My heart goes out to you.

Oh Adrianne, please don't beat yourself up. I know how this feels and I also know that we make the best choices we can for our babies out of love. You are doing the absolute best you can for Wilbur and we can all see just how very much you love him and want the best for him. And as for not knowing about OS-I think it's something we either don't know about because he hasn't touched us or don't want to know until we really have to. I thought we'd never be touched by this disease and now I feel so naive.

Please know that I am sending prayers, healing thoughts and many hugs your way. I sent a little prayer up to my Smiley asking him to watch over you and Wilbur. Remember, if you need anything at all, I am here.

I am so very sorry!

I really hope that you are able to let go of the feeling of failing him because that just is not true.

Many prayers coming from here

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

You haven't failed Wilbur at all. You've given him the absolute best thing....love and care. Remember Wilbur doesn't think you failed him. Look in his eyes and you will see the love. Many prayers for you both. Keep making the memories. You still have time.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I've been following Wilbur's ordeal too. I'm so very sorry it came to this. You have given him such wonderful care - you did not fail him - please enjoy him more than ever. Hugs to you.

Guest Energy11

You DEFINITELY haven't failed Wilbur! Instead, you;ve done everything for him that is humanly possible! Now, just lots of love, love, love, and pain managment, of course! Many hugs and prayers coming your way.

Guest IrskasMom

First of all Adrianne , I want to give you some Hugs :bighug By all means don't be so hard on yourself. You could not know and you have cared for Wilbur wonderfully.This News is breaking my Heart. Please give Wilbur some extra gentle Hugs .Hope you have some quality time with him for a while to come.

Guest mountain4greys

Sorry the news wasn't good. Please don't beat yourself up. Just spend all the quality time you can with him. Prayers to you and Wilbur.

With all due respect to your vet but, why wait until Feb 1st? He needs to be x-rayed now. Osteo is so painful, IMO waiting till the first is unfair to your boy.

I had this thought too. unsure.gif

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Adrianne

With all due respect to your vet but, why wait until Feb 1st? He needs to be x-rayed now. Osteo is so painful, IMO waiting till the first is unfair to your boy.

Good question.

To be fair to my vet (and I do want to be fair to him, because he's been very good. We've taken Wilbur back to him numerous times since his surgery, and he hasn't once charged me for an office visit. He's called several nights and weekends to check on him, and he met us there yesterday even though the office was closed), he would go ahead and do the xrays if I pushed on that. However, we are hoping that his pain and discomfort yesterday was due to infection. He's had a very calm, peaceful, and relaxed day today, and he's more like himself. So, hopefully, the Clavamox is doing its thing. We are to take him back in at the first sign of pain and discomfort.

Xraying Wilbur will require sedation; it's just a fact. Removing the rod from Wilbur's leg will require sedation; another fact. I don't want to have him sedated twice in ten days unless I absolutely have to. My vet believes that extra week leaving the rod in will give the bone just a little bit more of a chance to heal.

There's one other reason I'm not pushing for xrays today, and I may get flamed for this but I'm going to say it anyway. I have another week with Wilbur where I can hope and believe that he's going to get better and be the dog that beats the odds. And right now, as long as he's not hurting, I need to hang on to that hope and belief. smile.gif

No flames here at all and shame on anyone who even thinks of it. Do what you feel is best, I would also be concerned about sedating him twice in such a short period of time, especially since he's not 100% and hasn't been for a while. Wilbur and you are in my thoughts and prayers. By the way, he has one of the best names ever. Wilbur!!!! :bighug

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

You did not fail Wilbur and even if it does turn out to be bone cancer you made the best decision you could with the info you had. I'm sure they took films to tell you it was broken and if there had been VISIBLE cancer on those films or during his procedure any good vet (and yours sound like a wonderful vet from all you've had to say) would have informed you immediately before you put Wilbur and your credit card through all that painful and intensive work.

Underlines for emphasis are the important things for you to Always Remember, no matter what!

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

You know what is best for Wilbur in your heart, better than any of us. :grouphug Follow your instinct. Wilbur is a VERY lucky pup.

:nod Exactly. Hang in there Adrianne! Hugs to Wilbur!

You did not fail Wilbur and even if it does turn out to be bone cancer you made the best decision you could with the info you had.

Exactly.

It's very hard to remember this--I know, because I've been through it--but it's true, and you'll drive yourself nuts if you don't keep it in mind.

I hope the antibiotics prove the doc's fears wrong. :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I can tell you from experience, I don't think there is anyone here, who has gone through a serious illness with their hound, who hasn't second guessed themselves. We all do what we think is best at the time and that's all we can do. We all make decisions based on the information at hand and that's the best we can do. Trust me, it took over a year of beating myself up over Emmy and Andy to finally come to this realization.

You've done all you can for your boy and you've done it out of love. No one can expect any more than that. Your boy loves you no matter what and he knows he is loved unconditionally and that's all that counts.

My heart goes out to you. I've been following this thread and am still praying for you and Wilbur. I truly hope you receive good news.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greymama002

My heart breaks for you and your sweet Wilbur for all you have been through. Never doubt that you have taken the best possible care of him and that he has felt your great love. I send may hopes & prayers for you both, for painfree joyful times together. :hope:hope:candle:candle