Wilbur Back To The Vet

Guest Adrianne

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Adrianne

Thank you for checking on my sweet boy.

He's had a couple of quiet, relaxed days. The draining has stopped, and it's wonderful to see a dry hip and leg. He has just a touch of edema around his hock, but I still give him light leg massages. My husband was trying to adjust a boot on Wilbur's foot last night, and he got nipped a couple of times. I took that as a good sign; Wilbur's toes are obviously sore from being drug because of the knuckling. At least I know there's feeling in that foot.

This hump or mound or whatever it is on his hip bothers me; it's about the size of my hand from fingertip to wrist and about as wide as my hand too. It doesn't seem to be painful to him. I've rubbed it, scratched it, applied a little pressure to it and I don't get a reaction from him.

We're counting down the days til Monday and focusing only on the bright side. We have talked about our course of action if we get the news we don't want, but we're hoping for good news and trying to keep all negative thoughts and energy at bay. Monday is the day the rod comes out of Wilbur's leg! That's what we say when we talk about Monday.

I just want to thank everybody again for the thoughts, prayers, encouragement, advice, and love for Wilbur. You've gotten me through these last seven weeks, and I don't know where we'd be without you. (Wilbur would probably be covered in duct tape, and I'd have all my hair pulled out. lol.gif ) Thank you so much. We don't have an adoption group, so I kind of consider all of you our adoption group.

Edited by Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

Thank you everyone for thinking of Wilbur. I can hardly believe the day is upon us. We're still trying to keep only positive thoughts and energy around us.

The last few days have been quiet and peaceful for him. He still has a bit of edema in his leg, and there is a swollen spot on his leg. I assumed a couple days ago that it would open and start draining, but so far it hasn't. He finished his round of Clavamox and is now only getting only 1 75mg Deramaxx daily. I see no evidence of pain or discomfort. He does whine a little bit sometimes when he's lying down, but I don't know if that's because he's hurting or because he's trying to figure out how to manuever his leg.

Here's a photo taken today. My husband cooked him a steak, and he loved it!!! You can see in the photo how he curls the back of his body around when he's standing and walking; this seems to help him get his good leg centered under his body. You can also see the foot of his broken leg, and he is still not using it at all and keeps the foot either knuckled under or on the tips of his toes.

IMG_3889.jpg

He feels good today. Besides the steak, I took a small bucket of water and bathed his leg real good. He still has draining from the rod opening, and I wanted to clean him up. That really seemed to pep him up.

We'll be at the vet first thing in the morning--8:00 a.m. sharp. Please keep him in your thoughts and hope for good news.