Could I Get Some Good Thoughts For My Boy?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hope Feel better Jake...the foot looks really inflamed but if the bruising started in his armpit it could migrate...glad the fever is down maybe the inflamation what ever it is... is starting to subside.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Oh, Jake, that paw looks so tender! No answers, just "feel better" thoughts, prayers, and white light.

Let us know how he's doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

The Metacam seems to be working. Jake refused to go out front and hobbled to the deck and down the steps. He managed to come up without help too. He finally ate a few spoonfulls of tuna, some dehydrated liver and a couple of cookies. He refused water all day, so I've syringed it into him much to his disgust. There's a solution to that big guy, DRINK! He's sleeping soundly now.

Thanks for the good thoughts, they always seem to help.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

We all slept well. He is putting more weight on it and no panting this morning. Temp is 101.6, so down 2 degrees since yesterday.

I wish he could tell me what happened.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Janet I am so sorry that Jake is feeling so bad. Has your vet ruled out any kind of bleeding disorder?

Hugs,

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

I'm glad he's starting to feel better. I hope he continues to improve quickly.

My reaction is the same as Batmom's: I wonder if he could have gotten that leg caught on something or bumped into something. Not sure why his temp would be up though.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I think sometimes the temp can go up when they are stressed/distressed.

Hope he's feeling a lot better today :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

deck and down the steps.

Does he have access to the steps when you aren't home? Do they have open backs?

As you can see, now you've got me going nuts trying to figure out what happened. Anyhooooooooo, hope he continues to improve.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just seeing this now, Janet. Hope he is continuing to feel better today.

BTW - sure looks like a scrape to me as well.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest HeatherDemps

This may sound silly, but could it be allergies at all? My iggy has this problem and his feet and upper inner front leg area will start to get particularly irritated (I'm sure his licking doesn't help). When the allergies are really bad, he won't let me mess with his feet.

deck and down the steps.

Does he have access to the steps when you aren't home? Do they have open backs?

As you can see, now you've got me going nuts trying to figure out what happened. Anyhooooooooo, hope he continues to improve.

Welcome to my world. :lol

He is moving around better, thank you Metacam. We are still going to the vet to get their take on it. This is episode # 6 of limping, swelling and two other times the bruising. The symptoms have hit a total of 3 legs, each one twice. I'm going to check but at least one time he's had a fever. We've done antibiotics 3 times the last being a 4 week course. Blood work in June was perfect, and the joint tap unremarkable. Tick tests are negative, he is a low positive Von Willebrands. Dr Couto has no idea as everything he recommended has been fine.

After the joint test, our vet gave me a good supply of Metacam and said to ice, rest and medicate the next time it flared. It did and the treatment worked. This one is more complicated as there is that odd fever. His foot is really swollen today, even his dew claw toe is fat.

Let's see what this vet says, she hasn't seen him yet, fresh eyes could help.. Everyone else in the practice has seen Jake and his fat legs at least once. :rolleyes:

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Well we are home, and as usual no clear answer. Jake has a bacterial infection, with no known entry. She told me I had done all of the right things, his temp was within normal limits today and he is mobile. Likely without the Tramadol and Metacam yesterday he would have been a mess today. We have a course of Cephalexen and will continue with the Metacam for a couple more days.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Janet, I'm curious to know how your vet diagnosed the bacterial infection. Was there some sort of blood test or smear she could do?

Bless Jake's heart and yours too. It is so worrisome to see clearly that something is going on but not to be able to figure out what it is.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.