Dodge-osteo-post Amputation

Guest VirginiaGreys

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diane, you do so much for everyone---all the time! You know that's true. :)

So just know for sure that we are here for you. And you know THAT is true!

You and your sweet boy are in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Hoping you have a wonderful weekend and better news than you expect on Monday.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Well....the lung x-rays didn't show anything...they were clear when the vet saw them. They are then doing the blood work and the vet didn't expect that to be a problem. If there is a problem..they will call me to come back. At this point..the amputation will be done this afternoon.

On Mother's day...I visited my mom and when I came home...Paul had told me about Dodge going out in the back yard and started screaming. When I came home...I just thought the leg was hurting more...since I wasn't here to hear him or see what happened. Well..that was also when he became more lame and started going downhill so quickly. I just thought that the Osteo was eating away and becoming more painful. On mother's day evening..was also when I emailed my reg. vet ...to put things in motion about amputation...and that's why this past week...I was so upset that nothing was moving fast enough with my current vet. I could tell that the leg was bothering him more...and then it also began to swell over the last week. Now we know why. Dodge most likely broke it since the last x-ray 2 Fridays ago! Most likely on Mother's day when he was screaming. Poor guy has been in more pain this whole last week. The only thing that thankfully helped was the tramadol that he was already on and finally the duramaxx. I wished that I had been here when it happened. Not sure if I would have known that it was a break though. It only broke the one bone that was probably already being eaten away by the Osteo...but still...my heart aches for him. I got the feeling after seeing today's x-ray ...that the vet felt that we were doing the right thing too...and that what Dodge has is most likely osteo. Before she saw today's x-ray...there was some doubt in her mind. Also...the fracture meant that the only thing to do was amputation or to put Dodge to sleep now. :(

Please keep Dodge in your thoughts and prayers and I'll update when I hear back from the vet. Thank you for all your prayers thus far.

:hope

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Sending prayers out for Dodge today. How awful for him to have had a broken leg on top of everything else. I'm sure the pain killers helped him though. :candle

Tin, Michael and the zoo

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Sending positive thoughts!

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

Guest dwolfe711

It's good you're pushing to get this done - even though it is a hard decision - you know Dodge and how he can handle things - so don't second guess yourself after today. I've never had an amputation here but I've read lots of stories - he will need your attention and love and help for a few weeks. I hope all goes well with the surgery and that he heals quickly - and that you get some needed rest and stress relief - you've had a lot to deal with lately - we are thinking of you and Dodge and family and keeping you in our prayers.

How old is Dodge?

Donna

It's good you're pushing to get this done - even though it is a hard decision - you know Dodge and how he can handle things - so don't second guess yourself after today. I've never had an amputation here but I've read lots of stories - he will need your attention and love and help for a few weeks. I hope all goes well with the surgery and that he heals quickly - and that you get some needed rest and stress relief - you've had a lot to deal with lately - we are thinking of you and Dodge and family and keeping you in our prayers.

How old is Dodge?

Donna

Donna, she told me that he's 8 years old. He looked good on Saturday - before he broke his leg. :(

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Dodge will be 8 on June 17th....actually Donna B...you saw him with a broken leg. :weep He broke the bone on Mother's Day..not yesterday. :( He limped around for a whole week on a broken bone. :weep:o

Guest VirginiaGreys

Just called for an update on Dodge...and they started surgery about 15 minutes ago...so far so good.