Dodge-osteo-post Amputation

Guest VirginiaGreys

Guest VirginiaGreys
I'm so sorry to hear of Dodge's OS. I hope his surgery was uneventful and he recuperates quickly! Previous comments about getting a good night's sleep before he comes home is good advice - first few days can be rather rough.

I haven't been on this site much lately, but my 11 yr old boy Chase was dx'd with OS on 2/24 and underwent amputation on 3/3/09. The one thing I wish I would have thought of beforehand was to ask more about pain meds before he came home. He came home with a Fentanyl patch for pain that lasts 3 days, Previcox (like Deramaxx) and Tramadol. However, his patch wore off when the vet's office was closed. I had called the e-vet and they did tell me I could give him more Tramadol. I called them 3 times during the night because he was in pain (panting heavily with a scared look in his eyes). I had read - may have been from here - that some greys get great relief from Gabapentin. My vet wasn't familiar with it, but I insisted and she finally looked into it and called a script into Walgreens (it was only $6!). It helps with nerve pain, is frequently used by humans for shingles. With the addition of the Gabapentin, we were able to greatly reduce the Tramadol and he still felt good.

Anyway, some dogs don't have much problem with pain, but they're all individuals and react to different medications differently. I just wish I would have been more prepared so that my boy wouldn't have had to suffer through that miserable night. So, if you get a chance perhaps ask your vet what to do if your dog experiences an increase in pain. I've also heard of some dogs feeling panicky, or ill from some medications - sometimes an adjustment is needed. I also learned a lot of helpful information on Circle of Greys.

Prayers and good thoughts for you and Dodge.

Melinda, Chase, Amber & Max

I was wondering about the pain meds...after visiting with Dodge this evening. He was panting so much...but the tech said that his heart rate was fine...that it was a sighthound side affect with morphine.

I'll ask about the Gabapentin...thanks so much! This post came just in time!

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VirginiaGreys

He was a bit stressed last night the e-vet said. They also noticed a bit of blood in his urine. So they are running some tests to find out the source and what's causing it.

I'm going to head up there soon and take him some chicken soup and venison ...to see if I can get him to eat at all.

Hi Diane - sorry you're going through all this with poor Dodge! Hopefully he'll have a fabulously quick recovery - and fairly easy on you...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Diane, don't know if you've seen him yet. Are you squeamish about surgeries like that? If so, I'd prepare yourself for the worst, and maybe you'll deal with it better than you thought. It won't be pretty---there is a lot of soft tissue trauma, and there is that BIG incision. But he doesn't know he looks different, so just act like he's your Dodge. Because he is!

Keep us up to date with his progress, and we'll keep you both in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Prayers for a smooth recovery. Hope he will eat a bit for you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest VirginiaGreys

No long post I hope...I'll try to keep it short

It was a long day though at the surgery center. Dodge was not coming out of it like the vet thought he should. The blood in his urine was very red this AM. Not sure what caused it. May never know what caused it. I was there until almost 3PM....and he did show signs of improvement...so the plan was to bring him home...see how he does...if he gets worse..take him back. He's still not eating...will try some other tasty food if need be...but did try Costco's rotisserie chicken..to no avail so far.

He's home now...and sleeping comfortably...time will tell though if he will pull himself out of this or not.

Not trying to be pessimistic... but don't want to say that he's fine either...not yet. He's just not out of the woods yet. He may never be...the cancer can and might come back...it's more than likely somewhere else already in his body...but we just don't know where.

More good thoughts for Dodge, I hope he pulls through okay and that he starts eating for you soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest vahoundlover

Your not being negative, you're worried :grouphug:grouphug

Keeping Dodge in my prayers with some extra *please eat* on the way. :candle:hope

Guest TurnerMiller01

Dodge is in my prayers...

Praying that he heals quickly and that there is no more cancer in him.

Also, praying for him to eat and drink a little bit...

Come on Dodge.. pull thru... get better Dodge... You can do it Dodge...

Many positive thoughts your way...

and many prayers...

:getwell

:hope:hope:hope

Praying for Dodge. Please eat something for your Mom, Dodge.

Tin, Michael, and the zoo

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest EmbersDad
No long post I hope...I'll try to keep it short

It was a long day though at the surgery center. Dodge was not coming out of it like the vet thought he should. The blood in his urine was very red this AM. Not sure what caused it. May never know what caused it. I was there until almost 3PM....and he did show signs of improvement...so the plan was to bring him home...see how he does...if he gets worse..take him back. He's still not eating...will try some other tasty food if need be...but did try Costco's rotisserie chicken..to no avail so far.

He's home now...and sleeping comfortably...time will tell though if he will pull himself out of this or not.

Not trying to be pessimistic... but don't want to say that he's fine either...not yet. He's just not out of the woods yet. He may never be...the cancer can and might come back...it's more than likely somewhere else already in his body...but we just don't know where.

mcdonalds hamburgers and vanilla ensure worked for ember after her amputation and chemo treatments. good luck dodge, and hang in there!