Dodge-osteo-post Amputation

Guest VirginiaGreys

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dwolfe711

Diane - you know we've lost four to osteo and one to hemangio on an ankle - we opted not to amp in all cases - but our babies were from 10.5 - 14.5 when diagnosed and none was a candidate for amp. We've often discussed what we would do if our younger ones got osteo - it would depend on the pup and the circumstances of the cancer - but with Dodge being only 8 he's still young and I hope all goes well for all of you and that he will be up and about after a few weeks of healing. Keeping you in our prayers - :bighug - wish we were there to give hugs in person!!

Donna

Lots of good wishes being sent from here :candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Any news on Dodge? I just saw the post about him breaking the leg. Oh, God, Diane, that is your worst nightmare---thinking that it would shatter, and you'd have to get him to the vet ASAP. But your brave and stoic boy actually walked on that leg. Bless his heart. Hey, he's kinda like Doug---he walked on a broken femur for a week after his hip replacement! :eek Not really funny, but it might make you smile. (Doug is my DH, by the way, for anyone who doesn't know.) He's pretty stoic too. :lol You can't always tell when these guys are hurting!

I'm actually trying to make myself laugh too, because I was getting tears in my eyes just thinking about what you're going through. That waiting to hear if everything is okay....I know how you feel.

I'm sending lots of "be well" thoughts out to Dodge, and prayers for both of you. You absolutely did the right thing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sending more prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Holding your baby boy in my prayers, surrounded by healing light. May the surgery and recovery be smooth and uneventful. :hope:heart Get plenty of rest before he's released to come home. ;)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Dodge is out of surgery...so far so good. :) He'll be transported to the building next door (connected) that is the e-vet for this area. He'll be there at the e-vet for one night...then hopefully home tomorrow. I might go see him tonight...but maybe where he can't see me??...I don't want him thinking that he's coming home tonight and get excited ...then let down. I'm just so relieved that this part is over....and now we can get him to the next step.

It really helped me to read everyone's posts. Sometimes when this happens...one feels so alone...like no one cares....but I didn't feel that way when I read everyone's caring posts on GT, my own group's forum, PawsUp4Greys website, facebook, etc. etc.. :)

Nancy...you did make me laugh...and I'm glad that you could smile and stop crying. I've had my share of tears today...especially after finding out that my baby boy walked/limped around for a week on a broken bone caused by the OS. I was told when we started suspecting that Dodge could have Osteo, that he could just stand up and the bone could break...and this really hit home this week. :( On Mother's day (when the break probably happened) though...we hadn't gotten the dx from OSU yet...we were still waiting for them to see the new x-rays that I expressed mailed to them on Friday.

I tried to be as aggressive as I could to get him help and a dx...once I saw that Dodge wasn't getting better on meds like he had before after pulling muscles...but I felt that I was banging on doors that no one was listening (my local vet). I haven't decided for sure what I'm doing in that regard...but high on my list...is changing vets...which may be in vain...since I hope to be moving out of the area soon. Anyway...that's another subject for the rant section. <_<

Thank you everyone! :grouphug

Diane, I just saw this. You and Dodge are in my thoughts and I hope he's home soon :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest vahoundlover

I am so glad to hear Dodge came through the surgery OK!! My thoughts and prayers are with both of you :grouphug

Guest crazy4greys

Glad to hear the surgery went well! More prayers :hope:candle and good thoughts for Dodge and a :grouphug for you!

Sending more prayers and lots of hugs!!!!!!!!! I am very happy to hear the surgrey went well!!! :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Glad to read that the surgery went well. All good thoughts for a full and speedy recovery.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest KRKWMU

Just now seeing this... :(

I'm so glad that the surgery went well and Dodge is on his way to a great recovery. :yay We'll be thinking about all of you. :grouphug

Guest Chasems

I'm so sorry to hear of Dodge's OS. I hope his surgery was uneventful and he recuperates quickly! Previous comments about getting a good night's sleep before he comes home is good advice - first few days can be rather rough.

I haven't been on this site much lately, but my 11 yr old boy Chase was dx'd with OS on 2/24 and underwent amputation on 3/3/09. The one thing I wish I would have thought of beforehand was to ask more about pain meds before he came home. He came home with a Fentanyl patch for pain that lasts 3 days, Previcox (like Deramaxx) and Tramadol. However, his patch wore off when the vet's office was closed. I had called the e-vet and they did tell me I could give him more Tramadol. I called them 3 times during the night because he was in pain (panting heavily with a scared look in his eyes). I had read - may have been from here - that some greys get great relief from Gabapentin. My vet wasn't familiar with it, but I insisted and she finally looked into it and called a script into Walgreens (it was only $6!). It helps with nerve pain, is frequently used by humans for shingles. With the addition of the Gabapentin, we were able to greatly reduce the Tramadol and he still felt good.

Anyway, some dogs don't have much problem with pain, but they're all individuals and react to different medications differently. I just wish I would have been more prepared so that my boy wouldn't have had to suffer through that miserable night. So, if you get a chance perhaps ask your vet what to do if your dog experiences an increase in pain. I've also heard of some dogs feeling panicky, or ill from some medications - sometimes an adjustment is needed. I also learned a lot of helpful information on Circle of Greys.

Prayers and good thoughts for you and Dodge.

Melinda, Chase, Amber & Max

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

OH Diane, I am just seeing this. Many Many prayers to you and your boy. I wish I could say I don't know how you feel, but I do. If you have any questions at all or just want to chat about Dodge or anything else for that matter, you call me. Hugs to you.

Guest KyGrey

I'm just getting a chance to really get on here today. I have been stuck in homework mode all day. I'm glad to see that he has had the op and is on the road to recovery as I write. You and Dodge have been in my prayers today. I know this was a big quick decision to make. I'm sorry you didn't know about his broken leg. How could you have known? Don't beat yourself up over that. You didn't know.

:bighug