Dodge-osteo-post Amputation

Guest VirginiaGreys

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding my good thoughts, prayers and hugs.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

sending many healing hugs and prayers Dodge's way!!! :hope :hope :hope :hope :candle

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest VirginiaGreys

Dodge was home for the night. I managed to figure out the IV's (changed them out and everything) and give him the antibiotics by IV...learn something everyday. I'm tired...my eyes did shut for 5 minutes...only to find Dodge on his feet trying to lick out the ice chip bowl. He was also laying down sleeping...so I stepped into the kitchen to clean out the cat water bowl and Dodge unplugged his IV and came to visit me. I think he was wanting to pee outside...but that wasn't an option last night. Went through all my pee pads that I bought yesterday.

I took him back to the vet today...he'll be on IV today too...hoping to flush out the nasty drugs that caused this problem. He hasn't had any tramadol since 1 AM on Wednesday ...and yet he's not showing that he's in pain. Could be that there's still morphine in his system? OR...he just can handle this pain? :dunno

He continued to allow us to pick him up while he laid on the dog bed...so that tells me that he's not back to normal. However...he wanted to go outside and pee...so they took him out at the vet's office and he peed like a man...ummm...dog there.

They will repeat the blood test this morning and this evening...hoping those numbers come back to where they should be. I don't know how long it will take to get the numbers right. He still isn't interested in eating...and today I could see that he's losing some weight. :(

Other than the numbers thing (which I have no experience of) it really does sound like he's doing well and is exactly where I'd expect him to be and I'm sure that some of the others who have amputee experience will say the same. I hope that will make you feel a little better :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

More prayers said for Dodge. It does sound like he is coming around.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Not sure how long it takes morphine/tramadol to get thru a greyhound. It does take Joseph a couple days to recover from any anaesthesia, whereas Zema is back to herself same day, so clearly dogs differ.

Is he currently on any type of pain meds?

You're doing yeoman's work there. Hope Dodge is well on the road to recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest vahoundlover

Sounds like Dodge is handling the amp part pretty good. Continued good thoughts and prayers coming your way

Guest VirginiaGreys

Someone told me that it only takes Morphine a few hours to get through the system. So I'm not sure what the heck screwed up his system (maybe just the surgery itself?)...but it's about all flushed out now. He's on IV again today...the tech said that the vet likes to run the IV's for 3 days straight...so I'm not sure if he'll be on them again tonight...but I'm headed to bed soon...just in case..either way I'm zonked.

Dodge and I cuddled last night...and I think I got a couple of winks of sleep. At least with cuddling...I know when he has moved and may have to go potty, etc...

It's definitely looking up though. :):bounce1:yay

Another successful night. Dodge is steadily improving. Last night he decided that chicken was what he liked...and that was decided after he started licking my face after I had eaten my dinner. I decided that this time...is wasn't a kiss...but what's for dinner mom?! Not too much..but he got some. He kept me on my toes and close by last night. He's feeling well enough that he would rather pee upright...which caused a few accidents in our little "vet area" of our home...but nothing that couldn't be washed or sprayed. :rolleyes:

Dodge you are our inspiration. Keep on getting well! :yay

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Just wanted to thank everyone for their words of encouragement! THANK YOU! Dodge seems to be getting better each day. He will probably see the vet on Tuesday I expect to see where his blood values are. He's no longer on IV's as of Friday evening. I got to take the catheter out this morning per the vet's instructions. That went well too.

He is eating chicken...which is his favorite thus far. He is also eating mac and cheese and some scrabbled eggs too. I'm boiling some eggs right now to see if he'll want that later.

He hasn't had a bowel movement yet...but lots of flatulence, so hopefully it's soon?