Harmony Is Very Sick - **final Update** Post 1

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom
This sounds exactly like what happened with my Maxx - off his food, the protein loss, low red count, "angry spleen", etc. We spent nearly 4 weeks with our vet testing for everything. In desperation, I emailed Dr. Couto at Ohio State. They sent the babesia test to NC State, but decided they didn't have time to wait for a definitive result and removed the spleen after 2 transfusions on Monday. Maxx's red count rebounded almost immediately, even with the post-surgical blood loss.

If you don't get an answer soon, try contacting the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at Ohio State - they provide free consultations for retired racers.

Thinking good thoughts for your pup.

Thanks for the advice. The vet is pretty much stumped at this point. She's not getting better, she's not getting worse. Her body doesn't seem to be creating or destroying blood cells. She may be coming home tomorrow if she's still stable b/c there's not much they can do there that we can't do here. The doc did say a spleen biopsy would be the next step. I didn't ask him b/c we'd already been there so long and I don't even know if that's a bridge we'll have to cross, but would it be better to do a biopsy or just remove the spleen? I mean, if they can't find anything else wrong.... :(

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw the new update. Come on Harmony...hang in there baby! Sending lots of prayers!!

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Continued prayers.

Come on, little girl, hang in there until the docs can figure it out!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Mustering up as much good mojo as we can.

Prayers that they find something soon that is fixable

:hope :hope :hope

Heather, I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending healing thoughts her way. I hope she's feeling better in no time. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh no! Lots of good thoughts coming for you and for Harmony. Please feel better soon!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Oh I was so hoping for good news. Many more prayers that they find the problem and have a fix for it. How is Melody doing without her?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

White lights and healing thoughts for Harmony. Hugs for you Heather.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

When you speak to Dr. Vilar, you may want to mention Maxx's case, as well as an article written by Dr. Jim Bader on hypersplenism in the greyhound. It was published a few years ago in Celebrating Greyhounds magazine, and I know that Dr. Couto has already spoken to Bader and has a copy of the medical records of a greyhound Bader worked on with similar problems. I have not met Dr. Vilar, so it's possible he is not familiar with Maxx's case or Couto's work so far.

Also, if you need someone to talk to or ask questions of, please do not hesitate - I'll send you my phone number.