Harmony Is Very Sick - **final Update** Post 1

Guest KennelMom

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom
When you speak to Dr. Vilar, you may want to mention Maxx's case, as well as an article written by Dr. Jim Bader on hypersplenism in the greyhound. It was published a few years ago in Celebrating Greyhounds magazine, and I know that Dr. Couto has already spoken to Bader and has a copy of the medical records of a greyhound Bader worked on with similar problems. I have not met Dr. Vilar, so it's possible he is not familiar with Maxx's case or Couto's work so far.

Also, if you need someone to talk to or ask questions of, please do not hesitate - I'll send you my phone number.

Thank you so much. At this point, they are leaning away from her spleen being the culprit. They did talk about Maxx's case a little. Your boy's spleen was extremely enlarged and Harmony's isn't really enlarged. Dr. Vilar and Dr. Presley (her local vet) were both having a hard time reconciling her symptoms with anything specific. I think Dr. Couto may be calling tonight or tomorrow to talk to Dr. Presley (or the on call doctor) in more detail to compare/contrast details of the cases). Right now the tentative diagnosis is IMHA with vasculitis.

We just got home from visiting Harmony and her doctor. He's a really, really great guy and I couldn't ask for a more motivated or dedicated vet to be taking care of her. He's taking her case very personally...Harmony has a way of wrapping men around her little velvet paw. :beatheart Harmony looks...very sick. :( Dramatically different from yesterday. But she still wagged her stubby tail when she saw her daddy. Her PCV has dropped to 16% and they were starting a blood transfusion as we left tonight. The next 24 hours will be very important. She's starting to get a little fluid in her abdomen...another concern.

Just when I think I can't cry anymore, I do.

:grouphug:candle

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

you know I'm here for you!!!

I wish I had an answer, a reason a solution something but all I have to offer is my ears to listen, my eyes to cry with you and my heart to ache right along with you.

:grouphug :grouphug for you, Ken and Harmony

Sending white light. :grouphug

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

You and Ken and Harmony will be wrapped in the gentle but powerful prayers of GT while you work through this and get a diagnosis. :candle

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending more prayers for Harmony and her family. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thinking many good thoughts for you and Harmony!! :hope

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Oh, I'm so sorry you and Harmony are going through this. Sending prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

sending lots of hugs and more prayers..... Come on Harmony baby you have to get better..... :grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Sending our thoughts and prayers to Harmony and her family.

We are the family of the Aussie that Houndtime referred to back on Page 1. Our boy, Donovan, was in Intensive Care for 6 days at the hospital. At one point his PCV had dropped to 10%. He had 4 blood transfusions over the course of a week. It was a roller coaster ride of ups and downs. He came home yesterday (with many meds) after his levels finally stabilized. He was up to 26%.

All of his tests for causes had come back negative also. X-Rays and ultrasound were also neg. The only thing the ultrasound revealed was a slightly enlarged spleen. Our internist was not overly concerned about that as it is a side effect of prednisone. Keep in mind that, depending on the meds, they can take anywhere from 3-7 days to begin to suppress the immune system. Right now, he is on prednisone and cyclosporine to shut the immune system down. Also Carafate and Pepcid to reduce the intestinal side effects of the prednisone, and aspirin to reduce clot formation (a common complication of IMHA). Hopefully, he will continue to improve.

We are praying that Harmony also will begin to respond to her meds. We know what you are going through. Although it is hard, please continue to be positive. Encourage Harmony to keep fighting and let her know that you are doing everything you can to help her. We will continue to pray for you and Harmony.

Guest KennelMom

Thanks to everyone for your support and prayers...I fear we are making our last stand here. Dr. Presley has driven to Auburn to get imidocarb as a last ditch effort. Harmony's PVC has dropped back down to 16%. They have started a second transfusion which will take about 6 hours. By that time I should be home and we can be there when they give her the imidocarb. I don't know how much more our poor girl can take :(

Posting from my phone so pls forgive typos...

Oh Heather, I was so hoping for better news. More prayers headed your way. Come on Harmony, we're all pulling for you sweetie!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Sending white light and prayers. :grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest PhillyPups

Heather my prayers and thoughts are with you all. Please keep us posted. :bighug to you.

So selfless you are, making a run with your girl so sick, to help hounds get to their homes. Kudos to you lady. :bow