My Jack

Jackandgrey

Five years ago last September, I set off on a two day drive on a stomach turning adventure. I had only ever met three greyhounds and I was going to get my very own. What was I thinking? There he was! My Jack. My greyhound. He was a black boy which I had asked for. And he was beautiful which I had hoped for. But he was so shy; so scared. I was too. We made our way back across the country from Calgary to Winnipeg the both of us scared to death.

I had no idea what I was doing and was so afraid I was going to ruin him. With help from my group, from friends in our local greyhound group and lots of patience and so much love, my sweet boy blossomed. At least at home. And he and his Grandma bonded over their lunchtime chicken soup and other illicit treats. Away from home, unless he was with his grey friends, the world was still a scary place for him.

Two years later his dear Grandma was dying. She was in a palliative care unit and desperately missing her Jack. I knew how scared he would be but she needed him. So one evening shortly before she died, I took him into this strange building, onto an elevator which he had never done before and then down the long hall into her room. She had saved him some food from her supper. My heart dropped. This ritual had always been so important to her but Jack would never take any food outside his own home, ever! I thought my heart would break with her disappointment. But my boy walked up to her, put his head on her bed, and took the piece of ham she offered him. My good brave boy. I loved him even more and was grateful for that gift he gave her, more than I can ever say.

After his Grandma died, we made the trip back to Calgary to bring his sister Jilly home. She provided a buffer for him from the world and gave him more confidence. He loved having a sister. He even got brave enough to lie down in his own backyard! The world never got to see his silly self. Flinging stuffies in the air. Chasing me down the stairs into the living room and pouncing. Giving me a huge smile as if to say I got you mum. He loved the night time and going for walks in the dark. I guess he thought no one could see him.

Then this May the limp. The diagnosis. The monster. Jack decided that he needed to stay around for longer than I hoped and dreamed. We had a wonderful summer. There were days when I couldn't believe he was sick at all, that there must have been a mistake. But as the summer wore on and his world got smaller, no more walks, no more car trips and his leg got shakier, it was very apparent that it was real. But he never really was in any pain till one day at the end and he was always happy. In his final months, he even forgot to be afraid. It was like he couldn't be bothered with that nonsense anymore.

His last evening he lay in my arms on his own bed in his own house with his sister and brother lying beside him and left us, peacefully, to be healthy once again. Where no one will stop him from running and his leg won't hurt.

Jack I will never forget how you would bound across the field to me when I opened my arms and called to you. I will be forever humbled by the trust you placed in me to keep you safe. I won’t forget how you would cruise in sideways like a docking boat for a cuddle. How you loved the girl dogs. How you would lie across the room and just stare at me like I was special and worthy. I will never forget your sweet white face that just begged to be kissed and that will live in my heart forever. You came such a long way my special boy. You were the best and most perfect dog. I was blessed with you. Thank you. I will love you forever. Nite nite sweetheart.DSCF6600.jpg

Mysweetheart.jpg2008_0808_101957.jpgsoverybeautiful.jpg

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a beautiful boy. Those photos of him are precious. Rest well sweet boy, rest well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Susan what a beautiful tribute for a brave and special boy.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

That was a wonderful tribute for a very special boy. I am so sorry.

Jack, you look out for momma now and send her a sign to let know you reached and crossed the bridge. She will worry until she knows you are safe and sound there.

He'll never forget you either Susan. He's there in your heart and in the world around you, all you have to do is pay attention.

:f_red

Jack, we love you. Run with the angels, don't let Foxy boss you around too much. Some day we will meet and you will get a kiss on that beautiful white face. Godspeed.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

You can bet he's still got some adventures in line for you...and he's right there...snuggled in your heart, to guide you through the rest of your life.

There's something special about a greyhound named Jack. :beatheart

Guest SoulsMom
In his final months, he even forgot to be afraid. It was like he couldn't be bothered with that nonsense anymore.

Oh Jack, what a beautiful and important part of our world you were. Thank you for sharing yourself with us :kiss2

Susan, we're all grieving with you. I know nothing can take away your pain, just please know that you are not alone :grouphug

Oh handsome Jack, how does one describe your presence? I don't have the words, but know this my friend, you are loved by so many. You were your mom's special boy, and nurse Jilly's special brother, and always will be. And you know that all your Unruly friends will watch over your family.You run with the angels Jack, and have a good time, for you so deserve it.You remain in our hearts forever, until we can one day meet. I hope that my boys and my girl get to meet you Jack. Run free of pain my friend :gh_run And please watch over those you love you

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

What a beautiful tribute to your handsome Jack. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours at this time. Run free, Jack.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest multigrey

That was one of the most lovely tributes I have ever read.

What a special dog he must have been.....and what a wonderful mom he had.

Godspeed, Jack....what a lucky boy you were to have been so loved here on earth.

f_yellow

A lovely and moving tribute to a truly special soul. Jack, your dignified and gentle face will always be remembered and missed. Watch over your mom who loved you so dearly.

:f_pink :f_pink :f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Farewell, Jack. Your mum had to let you go, but you will live in her heart and mind forever. The bond you shared can never be broken... it is much, much stronger than death.

We will never forget you, Jack. Thank you, Susan, for sharing him with us for a time. Please know that we are here for you :grouphug

:gh_run2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest vahoundlover

What a beautiful tribute. I'm glad you had this summer to make lots of memories together. :grouphug Jack was such a handsome special fella, keep the love you shared close to your heart and he will always be with you.

Run Free Jack, you will be missed by many :f_red

I can barely see through my tears. He was a very special boy and will be missed by many. I am so sorry.

God Speed Jack.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project