Merlin Was Attacked

Guest paulamariez

Poor, sweet Merlin. My heart goes out to you because I know how you feel, since my tiny little 70 lb. boy Bueller got attacked by a hulking Mastiff at the park this past May. These people with their unleashed dogs are out of control. I can't even walk my dogs down my block because I am afraid that someone's unleashed, unsupervised dog will run out to the street and attack us! Even if they don't attack, the hounds still might find the approaching dog as a possible threat. The people up my block think that it's ok to let their dogs run loose because they're on "their" property. But what's to stop them from running into the street when they see another dog go by? Nothing will stop them, and poor Merlin is proof. I am very glad that Merlin is on the road to recovery, but I do know from experience that it will be a long, stressful recuperation for Merlin's mom. Many days are ahead of giving meds, cleaning wounds, keeping Merlin from licking and lack of sleep from watching and worrying during the night! I will keep you and Merlin in my prayers for a quick and uneventful recovery! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Merlin some get well doggie kisses, extra ones from Bueller because he said, he's been there! We too, had close to $600 worth of vet bills which we presented to the Mastiff's owner. He paid up without a peep upon immediate presentation of the vet bills. Hopefully your ignorant neighbor woman will do the same!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest md7nd

I agree with everybody,

To sum it up,

Dont take Merlin, take bill and witness and get payment, but do what BlackandBrindle said, that way you have something to show that she at least knows about it, and ect. This will help you when/if you have to go to court.

I hope that she will do whats right and you guys can get some rest tonight.

Best wishes and thanks for updating when you can!

Matt

Guest paulamariez

With Bueller, we took the bill immediately over to the Mastiff's owner and he wrote out a check right away. Then we went and deposited it right away as well. That way the guy didn't have time to think about not paying us or anything. We got the first check before we contacted the AC. We took a a second bill over to him though, and he did pay us with a check for that one too. And neither one bounced, which we were afraid might happen also. Our AC here in Washington County Wisconsin has much better laws regarding dogs and leash laws. It is illegal here for any dog to be unleashed unless it is in a fenced yard (although no one seems to enforce this much around people's homes). Anywhere in public, dogs are to be on leashes. If a dog attacks another dog here, it is treated the same as if they attacked a person. The dog could possibly be taken from the owner and put down if it's deemed vicious or if it attacks dogs or humans multiple times.

Restating what everyone else said...

Go immediately, do not wait for AC

Do not take Merlin

Take a friend/neighbor whomever

Take photos, it's important to have them in case she says "oh the wound wasn't that bad...." show her it WAS that bad

Take a copy of the bill, and present her with that first and ask for payment in the form of a check....wait for her reaction

-she may or may not have the funds available to pay you, if not listen to what she says and come to an agreement

Make sure she understands you expect her to pay any subsequent bills (BTW, the vet shouldn't charge you for suture removal IMO)

If she refuses to pay or begins to act sketchy, then you should ask her to sign a statement saying she received the bill and refused to pay. Make her give a reason in writing. Give her the benefit of the doubt first though....if I was intending to pay a bill and someone starting pushing all these "documents" in front of me to sign, I'd shut the door and close the shades and hope they went away....let her do the right thing first before making other demands.

Make sure you document your conversations with AC as well, you might need those if you have to go to court.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. Feel better soon, Merlin.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I am hoping she will hand over the money or check or make payment arrangements right then with no fight. If it were my dog that did it, I would have secured the dogs, house, kids and bailed to the vet your dog was taken to to make sure it was fine and cover the costs. I guess all people think and act differently.

We wish you all the good luck and best wishes for getting the bill paid easily and quickly. We wish all the good healing thoughts to Merlin and you. :grouphug

The Girls

Guest greytloves

I'm not sure about ME's laws, but if she gets angry she is unlikely to sign anything you give her. Take a neutral witness and if at all possible or legal in your state, take a recording device. If she begins to act up, whip it out and start recording. Don't start off like that or it may just tick her off.

Also, if she does pay, that is as good as an admission to her lack of responsiblity, don't you think? So, if anything later comes to bear on this you would be able to show she thought she had some sort of responsiblity or why did she pay?

Photocopy the check before you cash it.

Oh, and hug that boy Merlin!

Just checking in to see how Merlin and his humans are doing. Have any of you gotten any rest.

I think all the advice you've gotten is very good. I would just add that most homeowner's policies cover dog bites. It might be worth asking the woman if she has coverage, as long as she is paying the premiums it would at least be worth a call for her to check on her policy. Unless she has had several similar claims, her annual cost shouldn't go up based on one claim.

Please keep us posted on how Merlin is doing.

Guest MAXNAV
So many posts! Thank you all for your concern, for your thoughts, for your advice. I'm sorry I'm only updating now but I was utterly exhausted, and fell asleep for a few hours after I finally managed to get Merlin to get some sleep.

I understand that sometimes dogs get loose. What makes me crazy in this case is that this woman adopted a really casual attitude, and left both doors ajar when she KNOWS and ACKNOWLEDGES that her dog is dog-aggressive. If you have a dog like that, and you can't be bothered to consult a behaviorist, at a minimum you should make sure that the dog is not able to get out and hurt other dogs. In this case that should have involved confining the dog with a pet gate or putting him in another room, so that he could not get out, since she had both doors slightly open. And why was she not supervising her child?? :angryfire

I was able to get Merlin to eat around 10am. I gave him a tablespoon and a half of wet food with a cup of kibble (I don't have any meat in the house, nor dairy, and DH has the car today so can't go to the store) to make it more appetizing. Then I gave him his antibiotics. He has been pacing all day, getting up and moving, unable to get comfortable. Finally, a couple of hours ago, I managed to get him to lie down on his good side, and he has been sleeping in the other room. I think I am going to ask the vet for some pain meds when I go there tomorrow.

Animal Control came round and told me that Maine Law requires that I confine my dog for 10 days. Technically speaking that means no access to other humans or dogs, until they have confirmed that both dogs have up to date rabies vaccinations (well, I know Merlin is up to date and can prove it). But the ACO told me I can walk him around the neighborhood as long as I restrict access to other dogs. So it seems rather vague to be honest :huh

We have to fill in a form, and DH has to write a report, and then we are to drop the forms off at the police dept. Once he has them - tomorrow - he will make contact with the owner of the dog. From the conversation I had with the ACO, I am not brimming with confidence, to be honest. I doubt she'll even get a warning. :angry: Another really off-putting thing was that the ACO kept saying "it" all the time ("it shouldn't do this" and "it should do that"), and I couldn't figure out what on earth he was talking about, until I realized that he was talking about Merlin! Oh that's right, dogs are just things aren't they? :angry: I felt like saying, He has a name you know, it's Merlin, and he's just a tad more important to me than my lampshades. <_<

Oy! Kerry, I just remembered that in Maine, a dog owner is not liable for anything a dog does while on the owner's own property; so if Merlin was in the dog's yard when it attacked, there may not be any liability to the "psycho dog"'s owner. Do a Google on dog bite Maine and you should hit it. Something to keep in mind when making the official complaint.

No, DH was walking on the street, Merlin was nowhere near the woman's property. She told us that apparently her dog has gone nuts before when he saw Merlin from a distance. You'd think that might have made her secure her doors, since we walk down her street on a regular basis.

I might have missed it but what antibiotics is he on?

Definitely talk to animal control before going over to the neighbor's house. When you go to the neighbor's house, don't go by yourself. Witnesses are always a good thing.

The e-vet gave him Amoxitabs. 400mg x 7 days. I am pretty sure it's what he got the first time we went to the e-vet clinic a year ago for stitches on his tail, so he's had it before.

So now I have a dilemma regarding payment, and I need your advice again! I wanted to go give her the bill this evening, and get a check from her today. When I mentioned yesterday that I was sending her the bill, she didn't say anything, but she didn't seem to object either. On the other hand, chances are that she will be really pissed off when she's contacted by Animal Control. I am worried that this will make her not want to pay the bill. However, some people have suggested that I let Animal Control speak with her first, and THEN ask for compensation, because that way I would have the weight of the law behind me (some weight...), and she might feel she had to pay or else have to deal with being hassled by Animal Control (not that this is true, really, because if she refuses to pay the next step will be small claims court - Animal Control have nothing to do with it).

So what do you all think? At the moment, I am thinking I should go give her the bill and ask for a check TODAY. What if she gets mad afterwards and refuses to cough up? I WILL take her to court, but I don't need the extra hassle. If she gets mad after she's paid, I don't give a toss, as long as she stays the hell away from me and keeps her dog away from Merlin. And if she is so mad that she then refuses to pay for the second vet bill I will get when the stitches come out, so be it. I doubt that will be a big bill anyway.

So I need your advice lovely GT peeps! Thanks!

kerry

Here's what I personally would do. I would go to her with the bill and ask for payment. I wouldn't wait for AC to contact her. If she does indeed pay, be sure to let her know that this is only part of the vet bill, and that Merlin will be needing additional visits to the vet for stitch removal, etc. Just cover yourself in case she thinks that this is the only money you want from her. Document on paper, everything that transpires when you meet with her, especially if she becomes difficult, in case you need it later. Make sure you go armed with pepper spray or something, in case the dog is out. Be careful!

Oh, if I remember correctly, the AC (worked with the AC in my town) has to write up a report on his visit to her house, right? Get a copy of the AC's report and keep copies of what you fill out, so you have what you need, in case you do have to go to court. Hopefully the owner will pay up. If she does, make a copy of the check before you cash it.

Glad to hear Merlin ate something today. Tramadol works really well for pain, and I got it at the pharmacy for my dog. It was not expensive at all.

Sorry, maybe I'm being a little too over-the-top with regard to keeping copies of stuff and documenting conversations, etc. but I worked for the Feds and we kept copies of everything, and all conversations were documented on paper for court cases.

Edited by MAXNAV

Thanks for all the advice. Sadly, we paid three visits to her house this afternoon/evening and no one was home. Very frustrating - was really hoping to put this matter to bed tonight. Well, at least the matter of covering my costs...

I'll let you all know what happens! As for the recording device, great idea... actually I took my cell phone and set it up so that all I would have to do is press one button to start recording the conversation. Will do the same tomorrow... I am just hoping that she hasn't left for a long w/e or something... :riphair

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Thanks for all the advice. Sadly, we paid three visits to her house this afternoon/evening and no one was home. Very frustrating - was really hoping to put this matter to bed tonight. Well, at least the matter of covering my costs...

I'll let you all know what happens! As for the recording device, great idea... actually I took my cell phone and set it up so that all I would have to do is press one button to start recording the conversation. Will do the same tomorrow... I am just hoping that she hasn't left for a long w/e or something... :riphair

I hope you catch this loser. And more important, I hope Merlin has a comfortable night

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Poor boo....I probably wouldn't be too hungry either after a night at the e-vet. I'm glad you took him. Once I saw the pictures with the stitches, I realized how nasty those bites were. I hope he continues to get better and better and is back to his self soon!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

If she can't write you a check for that amount, tell her that y'all can give her a ride to the e-vet, and they can put the bill on her credit card

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Kerry, how is Merlin feeling today? (and how are you doing as well - this is a very, very stressful situation for you). If Merlin is still feeling uncomfortable from the stitches, you could try some Metacam or the Tramadol (which seems stronger) from the vet. The Metacam has worked wonders for our greys and doesn't seem to affect their stomachs. If his appetite is off a bit, try some bland food - boiled chicken or ground turkey added, that might perk him up a bit. Both Zeke & Fiona had wounds this year from Tasha nipping them that we've had to deal with so I know how hard the first few days can be. Hope things begin to feel better and everything is resolved for you soon.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest doggiehappiness

I'm just reading now about the updates -- I'm glad Merlin is home and hope he continues to eat. Poor pup. Take care, I've been thinking about you guys for the past few days and hoping that a peaceful resolution (i.e. neighbor pays bill and doesn't get cranky about it) will happen soon.

Hi Kerry!! So so sorry this happened to poor Merlin! Go easy on your DH... I've been in that situation & it happens SO fast & is so SHOCKING that your brain isn't working right!! When Cody got bitten (repeatedly 'cause I couldn't TOUCH the dog that was circling her & biting!!), I think I was just screaming at the top of my lungs!! It's frustrating for the one holding the leash because you really CAN'T do anything to stop it!

Hope he's feeling better!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest MAXNAV

Too bad you didn't catch up with her. Just a note of caution.... legally, you may not be able to use a recording of your conversation as evidence if needed. In some states, it's illegal to record a conversation without the other person's consent.