Merlin Was Attacked

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell Merlin to send Freagle out to get us and Rex will send the magic bus for those closer to Maine. We'll all go over with you.But do you think Ekko will fit on Freagle? We'll need her cuz she's big and very scary

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest SoulsMom
Please tell Merlin to send Freagle out to get us and Rex will send the magic bus for those closer to Maine. We'll all go over with you.But do you think Ekko will fit on Freagle? We'll need her cuz she's big and very scary

:lol:lol

Any updates on Merlin and the neighbor?

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest greyt2love

Freagle has carried multiple houndies for our adventures, so I bet he cann handle Ekko. Merlin can verify that if need be ! As soon as Merlin and Kerry say the word, we will pool together to see that the troops are delivered !!!

Rex

Freagle has carried multiple houndies for our adventures, so I bet he cann handle Ekko. Merlin can verify that if need be ! As soon as Merlin and Kerry say the word, we will pool together to see that the troops are delivered !!!

Rex

Thank you Rex, we're armed and ready to go

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

So sorry not to have updated you sooner. DH and I went round to the woman's house on Friday evening with a copy of the e-vet bill. She paid up - gave us a check. It was too late to go to her credit union at that time, but we went there and cashed the check first thing Saturday morning.

When we went to get the check she apologized, said it was all her fault and that Merlin was such a good dog and she was sorry. I gave her some names of professionals she could call or consult regarding dog-aggression.

Yesterday we found out that this woman takes her kid to the day care my MIL runs. Is that MESSED UP or what. :omg Welcome to Maine... everyone either knows each other or is freaking related to each other....

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Glad you got it taken care of! Curious, are you still filing the report with AC? No idea whether I would or not, truly just curious.

Either way, Merlin is healing and you guys got paid! :yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am so glad that she stepped up the the plate and took responsibility for her babes actions. Kiss Merlin for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Cris_M
Yesterday we found out that this woman takes her kid to the day care my MIL runs. Is that MESSED UP or what. :omg Welcome to Maine... everyone either knows each other or is freaking related to each other....

The good part about everybody knowing each other or being related is that people don't get away with stuff like not paying. Well, they don't get away with it and still have a good name. It's like that here, too. At first I didn't like it. Now I consider it great insurance.

Meanwhile, give Merlin some scritches for me. Let us know what you're going to do with the money since you probably already had your own earmarked for Merlin's bill. :lol:lol:lol Maybe some collars? :blush

Guest greytloves

Wonderful ending to a scary incident! Sometimes, people surprise you and do the right thing on the first go around. I hope she is able to work with her dog.

Glad you got it taken care of! Curious, are you still filing the report with AC? No idea whether I would or not, truly just curious.

Good question. I haven't dropped off the report yet, and after A) her heartfelt apology and prompt payment, and B ) finding out that she knows my MIL, I am feeling the pressure to move on and not file an official report. It's kind of against my principles not to file it, to be honest... what if it happens again? The attack would be considered his first, and I will KICK MYSELF. DH is thinking we should just leave things as they are right now. I haven't decided yet, but time is running out and I have to admit that I'd feel better about reporting her if I'd got the impression that AC would actually DO something about it. But I didn't... quite the opposite, in fact! I mean, if I'm going to tick her off by reporting her, at the very least it should be for a result - not just a telephone conversation from the ACO involving a lame "oh do be careful from now on, ma'm." :angry:

Wonderful ending to a scary incident! Sometimes, people surprise you and do the right thing on the first go around. I hope she is able to work with her dog.

I hope she is willing to work with her dog. I gave her the names of two trainers who might be able to help, and I insisted she come and see me if I could help in any way or suggest other behaviorists. She is not an ignorant person, and apart from the fact that she bought the dog from a puppy mill (which makes my blood boil) if I'd met her in different circumstances I might even have liked her. She teaches biology at a local high school and is very much into environmental stuff, as am I...

Weird!!

As for the money - no collars for Merlin!! it's gone straight into our checking account to fill the large hole the original e-vet bill made... we had not planned to pay for it with our own money at all, since we have insurance and that would have covered most of it.

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

we had not planned to pay for it with our own money at all, since we have insurance and that would have covered most of it.

If you mean you have pet insurance, you should still file a claim with them imo. That money would cover any follow-up costs you'll incur, so you don't have to go back to your neighbor, or if it's more than that, I'd chalk it up to emotional damages. Maybe some would disagree, but I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that - you pay for your pet insurance.

I *think* I would probably drop the AC claim if I felt like she was going to follow through on some training, or at least has learned her lesson and will be more careful as a result. It's tough though if you're not sure she'll do that because like you said, what if another dog gets injured. I really don't know what I'd do - tough call.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Does your pet insurance have an annual maximum? If so, I wouldn't submit any of the bills from this attack to them.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I am not going to file a claim with the insurance company... I got my expenses covered, that's all I was after really.

DH is now thinking we should file a report anyway... I met another dog owner who lives on the same street as that woman this morning, and he told me his step-son saw the attack and that "yes, Toby (the dog who attacked Merlin) does get loose sometimes"... What do you mean, sometimes?? It's happened before?

I really hope the $437 bill she got was a wake-up call... I am really, really torn right now. I just don't know what to do. :(:riphair

I think it's time to move on... IMHO.

We have a dog around here like that who has attacked while "accidently" running loose. The last victim was a 110 pound chocolate lab that was totally brutalized. I cringe to think what kind of damage that could have done to one of my babies. Totally cringe. She too paid the bill and said she would "really try".

You got what you wanted from here. Hopefully, like you said, it was a wake up call. Please make sure whoever is walking Merlin is prepared with something to deter an attack. It's scary Kerri- I totally understand.

On another note, can you appeal to her as a friend. Now that you are back to the beginning, (Merlin is better and she paid up) write a letter with your fears and concerns and why you are feeling this way. Maybe if she wasn't ignorant to our breed, she would give it a little more thought?

I don't know. I am just trying to make a win win for all. Once we corner someone or get nasty it's hard for the other person to see what we are trying to explain. They are just defensive so nothing good comes of it.

Does this make any sense to you?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest BlackandBrindle

File the report.

It has nothing to do with how quickly she paid the bill or how apologetic she was. Her dog obviously gets out, if not frequently, enough to be noticed. This is a danger to you, Merlin, and every other dog that gets walked in your neighborhood.

This dog needs a bite record. It needs to be documented.

It is the responsible thing to do.

The people who own the dog who attacked Spud had to be some of the nicest people I've ever met. I still called animal control and they got cited. Now they are working with a behaviorist with Buddy.

There is a line that is drawn between the world and my dogs. It is my responsibility to keep them safe. I don't care if the neighbors think I'm a raving looney as long as my dogs are happy and healthy and safe.

Of course, you need to do what you feel is right, but that's how I feel about it.

Hugs to Merlin.

Guest greyt2love
The good part about everybody knowing each other or being related is that people don't get away with stuff like not paying. Well, they don't get away with it and still have a good name. It's like that here, too. At first I didn't like it. Now I consider it great insurance.

Speaking of a small world...my mother lives in Rome, GA ! She moved there from PA. I've been there a couple times. It's a nice area.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. Just noticed where the poster was from !

Edited by greyt2love