Merlin Was Attacked

Guest BlackandBrindle

Just wanted to add, I told the neighbors that it was absolutely not personal. They understood and didn't hold it against us.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest luckydog

Please file the report. If not for your dog, for the next dog that her dog will attack.

Just keep this rhetorical question in the back of your mind: How many times would a dog have to attack another dog before it needed to be reported?

Guest LindsaySF
File the report.

It has nothing to do with how quickly she paid the bill or how apologetic she was. Her dog obviously gets out, if not frequently, enough to be noticed. This is a danger to you, Merlin, and every other dog that gets walked in your neighborhood.

This dog needs a bite record. It needs to be documented.

It is the responsible thing to do.

I agree. :nod

Guest FullMetalFrank

Can you file the report but include in it that the woman willingly paid the vet bill; and ask that no fines be issued? I don't know how that will work out with animal control but at least you would be making it clear that you don't want any punitive actions, just maybe a warning or a record placed on file? Does anyone know if you can even do that?

Guest Dillymom

I agree that the attack needs to be recorded. For all you know this dog has bit others and it's never been reported. It's the right thing to do to have it on record.

I agree also - if the dog is aggressive enough to go after a dog and attack and gets out regularly, I think she has proven that she is either unable or unwilling to be responsible about it. And while I bet right now, having just paid the bill she will try harder, I think it will wear off quickly. And imagine if he goes after a toy breed dog next, he could easily kill it from the sounds of it.

It doesn't really sound like AC will do anything anyway, but as suggested you could ask them to just put it on record since she paid the bill.

Guest LindsaySF

If it is the first (recorded) offense, most ACO's just give a warning anyway, especially since she paid the bill. But you do want it on record, in case it happens again.

Guest MAXNAV

I would file the report. Does this dog only go after other dogs? What if it's a child next time? It needs to be on record, even if the ACO doesn't do anything about it. At least you'll have a clear conscience that you've reported the incident, if it should happen again to someone else.

when Holly was bitten by the neighbor's dog, I later heard from two other neighbor's that it had bitten them (people)...but since no one reported it, she was able to do it again and again. I reported it because it isn't fair to the next person or dog that happens along.

how would you feel if a month from now if you heard that this dog was out and killed another dog?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest bobandpolly

I would file the report as most others have said, but I would be sure to include in the report that the woman was cooperative and paid the vet bill promptly.

Also make sure your account of the actual attack is written very matter of factly, I'd avoid saying that Merlin was attacked, but rather that he was bitten by the other dog. Changing the tone of the report isn't going to change the action of AC, but avoiding terms like vicious dog, or attack will likely go a long way of maintaining the neighborly spirit.

I am so sorry, I am not sure how I missed this maybe because I was not on a lot last week due to my father n laws illness. I just want to say I am so so Sorry you had to go through this, I am so happy you stayed strong and did all the right things and I am happy Merlin is starting to feel better and you were able to get the expense back. I know this must have been a really horrible experience. :bighug :bighug :bighug :bighug :bighug (lots of hugs for you, Merlin and your dh)

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest suzye

I'm so sorry that Merlin was attacked, but I'm glad he is healing and that you got your money. I would definitely report it, not that it really does anything. At least in TX, no one cares about animals getting bitten, only people getting bitten. And no one cares about the leash law, either. Maybe if it happened enough times, and you could get people to band together, and get some publicity, they would do something. No authorities cared at all when my dog was attacked. I didn't get an apology from the owner, either (even though she quickly paid the bill). These irresponsible pet owners just burn me up. I would still have it on record just in case it can make a difference. I wouldn't care if I ticked off the neighbors by filing a report, but I have a temper....

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

What they said -- file the report. The dog is nuts, the owner isn't willing to put effort into aggression therapy, and the dog gets loose occxasionally. The dog will get out and possibly bite again. If the dog were to bite a child you will be kicking yourself for not reporting it. Your report can give all your good comments for the dogs owner which the ACO WILL relate to the woman, and the dog will only get a warning...but it will be recorded. (Maybe this dog already has been reported and this is the 2nd or 3rd offense)?? It is the responsible thing to do. Be proud, you may be doing the owner and future bite victims a favor. Or it is your usband that wants to file, he is the one directly involved - so let him file it. You can be the good guy that talked to the woman, and he can be the bad guy that went to the police. Please file ASAP