Merlin Was Attacked

I am so sorry this happened to Merlin and I can really understand all your anger. The e-vet in Portland is outstanding and you did the right thing to bring him in. (One of our favorite vets went to work there and he was always terrific with our greys.) We've had assorted wounds like this on our greys. To prevent licking try putting a loose T-shirt on Merlin (pull his front legs thru the sleeves). We found it discouraged them from licking and prevented any irritation to the wound. Do you also have antibiotics for him?

Please give Merlin a great big hug for me and keep us updated on his progress.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vahoundlover

I'm glad Merlin is home and doing ok. It's so hard to see our sweet babies injured, I hope he heals without any problems. :grouphug One of the reasons we quit walking, it really sucks we can't enjoy the area we live in because of a few Asses. :POed

Guest ArtysPeople
I can't believe this happened. Merlin has a happy tail wag and a cheerful play bow for every person or dog he meets. It breaks my heart. Luckily, he seemed in good spirits the whole time we disinfected the wound. I am sure he will be absolutely fine. I'm not worried about him... I am just so angry at people's complete lack of regard and responsibility. What if my dog had been a toddler?? I bet she wouldn't have been so bloody casual then!

Thanks for listening. I know some of this post belonged in Soap Box, sorry... I just thought I'd post an update on Merlin's situation on this thread, and then I guess I just got carried away.

I'm glad Merlin seems in happy spirits. Please continue to update, as we're all thinking about him here. Don't apologize for the rant; I don't know what I'd do if something like that happened to Arty. But try not to be too hard on DH; I would probably be so freaked out that I don't know that I'd have thought to get a phone number in the heat of the moment, either. Scritches to Merlin from us.

Edited by ArtysPeople

But try not to be too hard on DH; I would probably be so freaked out that I don't know that I'd have thought to get a phone number in the heat of the moment, either.

You're right. And once he told me again how the incident took place, it's clear that that little ankle-biter was so fast (and came from behind) that DH hardly had time to react. The dog jumped and lunged at Merlin to bite him, which is why his wounds are high up considering that the dog is small.

I have just called and left a message for the ACO, who isn't in right now, but he's supposed to call me back. I have tried to write down everything that happened and was said, trying to keep it to the facts. Wish me luck today.

I offered Merlin breakfast but he won't eat - very unusual for him. I'll give it some time and offer him some more food in a couple of hours... I hope he starts eating soon, because I need to give him his antibiotics. :unsure:(

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest MAXNAV
Thank you to everyone who gave advice. We're just back from the e-vet. Merlin needs stitches in both wounds, and the e-vet says he might need a drain too. He's also going to get antibiotics. We had to leave him overnight, I'm picking him up early tomorrow.

That b*tch is getting a visit from Animal Control and a $532 bill. I already told her when I went back there that I wanted her phone number and that I was sending her the bill, she didn't object at the time, let's see what she says when she gets the bill. I don't care, I will drag her ass all the way to court if I need to. I don't give a crap about fighting with someone in my neighborhood whom I might have to meet again and again over the next few years. I am NOT letting this happen again, to Merlin or any other dog. I am so angry that DH didn't have Direct Stop with him, and didn't even ask the woman for her phone number, I had to take the initiative to deal with this. But whatever. My DH has social anxiety, so I can't really blame him I suppose. The thing that drives me mad is that she was so freaking casual about it all, displaying a "these things happen" kind of attitude (not on my planet, it doesn't!! :angryfire :angryfire ), saying that her dog was "psycho dog" with other dogs. I said, did you consult a behaviorist? She said yes, a couple of years ago, but "it didn't really help" (read: she didn't bother seeing it through). Apparently the dog ran out of the house because the screen door was ajar, as she was recharging her electric bike. She knows she has an aggressive dog, she knows the neighborhood is full of dogs, and she doesn't think to confine the dog with a pet gate the dog while her screen door is ajar. What a bloody idiot. :headwall:riphair:headwall

I can't believe this happened. Merlin has a happy tail wag and a cheerful play bow for every person or dog he meets. It breaks my heart. Luckily, he seemed in good spirits the whole time we disinfected the wound. I am sure he will be absolutely fine. I'm not worried about him... I am just so angry at people's complete lack of regard and responsibility. What if my dog had been a toddler?? I bet she wouldn't have been so bloody casual then!

Thanks for listening. I know some of this post belonged in Soap Box, sorry... I just thought I'd post an update on Merlin's situation on this thread, and then I guess I just got carried away.

Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts.

Glad you took him to the E-vet. The poor guy. I was going to say to be sure that you file a report with the Police or AC, but it looks like you've already done or going to do that. Keep sending that chick the bills, ie. follow-ups with your vet, etc. She should pay for what happend to Merlin. I just hope that Merlin's not fearful of other dogs now. Hope he's feeling better.

Guest Stretchy
I offered Merlin breakfast but he won't eat - very unusual for him. I'll give it some time and offer him some more food in a couple of hours... I hope he starts eating soon, because I need to give him his antibiotics. :unsure:(

Maybe offer him his meal with some tasty mix-ins like yogurt or parmesan cheese so he can take his meds.

:grouphug

and for Merlin

:dogcookie

so sorry to hear about this!!! :( :( :( :( :(

hope Merlin's feeling better (and eating)! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest PhillyPups
Kerry,

I'm glad Merlin will be OK. Based on what you said, it does sound like it was wise you went to the E-vet.

Yes, a dog can escape accidentally, but if you have a self-described "psycho" dog, you need to take extra precautions (which clearly she did not). I hope she is a woman of her word and pays the vet bill (and we don't end up seeing you on Judge Judy ;))

:getwell

Marc and the Joisey Girls

Kerry,

I understand how upset you are. If I read right in the first post, the door was opened and the dog flew out, isn't this how a lot of our greyhounds end up in AmberAlert? Now if they just let the dog run loose I could understand being :angryfire but things do happen in life, and if her "psycho" dog was not in her home it would probably have been put down, at least the lady is giving it a loving home.

:bighug to you and please do not read this as criticism for all you are feeling, just what I was reading between the lines. Many times it is interesting the take we have on things, depending on which side of the fence we are on. (i.e. I was very angry at a neighbor that let their little white dog run loose, (said the gate was broken & I offered to help fix it for em) till a car got it, this is after it almost made me the flying nun as I was going out my front door with all 4 (2 of whom are high prey) and this little white yapper flies by, had my dog bitten it would I have been to blame??)

:hope for a fast healing for Merlin and peace in the valley.

I so glad he will be ok, they are resilant, he will bounce back soon.

I know that in NY if a dog attacks another dog, you can report it but nothing will happen. IF it happens to a human, it's another story. Do you know what the laws are in your area?

Hugs to you and Merlin.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Redpack

I'm so sorry this happened to Merlin. No one else has said it, but I think, and I hope I never find out for sure, that if this happened to me, my first move would have been to call the police? Granted I live in a small borough where the police are looking for something to do, but at least it would have scared the neighbor a bit, which would make her more compliant and you would have a police report if you end up needing to sue her for the vet bill.

You can say, yes it was an accident, dogs sneak out, Phillypups, but if you have a vicious dog, no matter the size, you should take special precautions that this doesn't happen.

I hope you and Merlin are feeling better, you were one of the many who were so nice to me when I lost Diplomat. Here's a treat for Merlin :cookie and a hug for you and your husband :grouphug

Edited because I can't spell.

Edited by Redpack

Glad you took him to the e-vet. Small but nasty looking wounds.

If he's not eating, he's probably hurting more than he's letting on. You might want to check with your vet about getting him some pain meds.

So glad he's home! :getwell

Marcia in SC

Guest ArtysPeople

Oy! Kerry, I just remembered that in Maine, a dog owner is not liable for anything a dog does while on the owner's own property; so if Merlin was in the dog's yard when it attacked, there may not be any liability to the "psycho dog"'s owner. Do a Google on dog bite Maine and you should hit it. Something to keep in mind when making the official complaint.

As for Merlin's food refusal, I'd try offering him something yummy like some plain yogurt with some kibble if he still won't eat later in the day. And I'm with Marcia that it could be a sign that he's in pain; greys don't usually show when they're really hurting because in a pack situation it will instantly mark them as weak and the others will gang up on them. He's being strong for you, Momma!

Oh, Kerry and Merlin, I am so sorry to read about this! Sending a kiss to Merlin and a :bighug to all of you!

Same thing happened to Comet about 7 years ago. We have an idiot dr. and his wife that live down the road from us. They had a shepherd mix dog that came onto our property and attacked Comet.

Jim and the boys were out in our front yard with Comet. This devil dog, "Fawn" came out of nowhere, unleashed, into our yard, snarled at Comet and bit him. He had a HUGE triangular flap of skin hanging down his side. It was a Sun am and we had to take him to the e-vet where they had to do surgery to repair the wound. The bill--and this was years ago--was over $700. The dr that owned Fawn paid us back for the bill. My husband even volunteered to help the dr fence a small area of their yard for Fawn so she could run around safely, etc. (Yes, my husband is a saint). The dr. did not take him up on his offer and told him that 'his wife just has this crazy feeling that dogs should be allowed to run free'. Yes, crazy doesn't even begin to describe her. All was ok until they got the visit from the animal control officer, who wrote them up and took his own set of pics of Comet's injuries. We felt like if they had a vicious dog on their hands and they refused to contain it, that we had no choice but to get animal control involved. If the devil dog attacked another dog or person, we wanted it on the record that this had happened previously. Long story short: it's been many years, and these people don't speak to us and look the other way if we go by. Ask me if I care. And what happened to the devil dog? About a year later, the dr had her leash tied to his bike handlebars as he was going for a ride. Stupid thing to do right? In the Florida heat. The dog could not pace itself and dropped dead on the spot in the middle of the dr's little fitness ride. They never got another dog again.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I am sure Merlin will start eating once he feels a little better.

You don't have to worry about remembering everything to write it down. You have it all here in the topic. I think you did the right thing by taking him to the e-vet.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest ChancesMom

I am so glad that Merlin is home with you. I would be as frustrated and angry as you are. My storm door does not latch on its on so everyone that is a normal visitor at my home know to pull the door to as you come in. If some one new comes by I am right there to do the same. She knew how her dog was and she new her door was ajar so I say "stick to your guns". I know your poor DH has to feel just awful about everything so don't be hard on him.

Here's hoping that Merlin is eating by the time I am typing this.

:bighug and :kiss2 to the handsome boy.

Donna

Guest Dillymom

Oh Miss Kerry. Ah did KNOT get on da compooter until dis morning to see dat mah poor brave Merlin habs been attacked. Ah em so sorry fur him. Ah em glad dat he iz in good care. Pleeze gibs him lots uf :kiss2:grouphug:bighug:dogcookie frum me.

Tell him dat Ah lubs him and Ah em worried abowt him

Lubs,

Lola

Kerry

I would be as angry as you if that happened to Lola. We've had a couple incidents with a loose minipincher recently and the stupid owner isn't doing anything to stop it. My worst fear is having her attacked and being helpless to stop it.

Tracey

I'm so glad Merlin is home with you. Try not to worry too much about him not wanting to eat. That's not unusual. Misty wouldn't eat after the e-vet experiences and she wasn't too interested in ice cream either. And her incident wasn't close to what Merlin went through.I gave her the antibiotic in cream cheese and that worked. We'll be thinking about you guys today. Give the wizard a big hug and you tell him all his friends are behind him!! We all love this boy

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I just saw this thread this morning, I am so sorry that Merlin had to experience this. It is so good to hear that he only needed a few stitches. Please give him puppy hugs and cuddles from Aquitaine and her human.

Don't apologize for the rant. Scarlett was attacked 3 separate times by a dobie whose owner denied everything. The 3rd attach required major surgery, she still denied her dog did it. Of course she refused to pay for the care. Her dog later attacked a retired policeman who called me and reported it to Animal Control. Let's just say that the AC officer lost her professional cool enough to tell me "that woman is an absolute bitch".

Maybe Merlin is holding out for steak!

Guest KRKWMU

OMG, Kerry! :ohno I'm just now seeing all of this! How is Merlin doing this morning? I hate that you had to go through all of this in your new neighborhood. :( Let us know how things go dealing with AC and the neighbor. It says something about the woman and the dog if she called it "psycho dog" after it had just attacked Merlin. You'd think she would have been more careful about choosing her words. I wonder if this is the first attack by this dog?

I hope Merlin gets to feeling better and starts eating. Yogurt or cottage cheese usually worked for Bonnie. Boiled chicken with a little garlic also worked well. :goodluck

Get some rest and snuggle with Merlin. :wub: Good luck today. We'll be thinking about you guys.

Kerry,

Good that Merlin is home. His wounds look a bit better now that their stitched up. Here's hoping he heals quickly and without complications.

Have you been able to get him to eat breakfast?

Marc

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest greyt2love
. To prevent licking try putting a loose T-shirt on Merlin (pull his front legs thru the sleeves). We found it discouraged them from licking and prevented any irritation to the wound. Do you also have antibiotics for him?

Caesar has a collection of t-shirts I use for this purpose, depending on the time of year and the temp !!! I knot it up on hois back so it doesn't hang down and trip him. My poor baby has been through this so many times and it still upsets me so much every time it happens. He is so stoic. I can imagine how you are feeling right now.

So glad our wizard is home ! Can he conjur up a "quick heal " spell ??

Deb and the gang