Merlin Was Attacked

So glad to hear that Merlin is home, and hope he feels like eating soon! Best wishes to him and to you!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest md7nd

wow...I havent been on the forums a few days and look what I miss!!!! best wishes and thoughts for you all.

On a side note, if ya need some back up, just let us know!!! :POed:kickbutt;)

:getwell

Guest lauri

Wow...

This certainly sucks, doesn't it?

There are a lot of off-leash dogs here, we're in an agricultural area (I suppose that's an excuse <_< ), so I don't like to take Miles to the mission for walks anymore. People are so lame... We've encountered a non-leashed pitbull that came running and barking towards us once while there. Luckily I'm big and loud and confronted this dog (he DID back off!) until the lametard of an woman approaches form around the bend with a LEASH IN HAND!!!

Not a big deal to her. Mike mentions the leash laws; she says sorry and goes on her merry way.

Mike said what will we do if one doesn't back off? I told him pick miles up and hoist him around your shoulders! I figure a 6' 200+ man can handle that!

That's the last I've taken my dog to the mission. I'm not looking forward to the day a loose dog in the neighborhood charges our way.

Cookies for Merlin and a Calgon bath for you!

Guest BlackandBrindle

Kerri,

I might have missed it but what antibiotics is he on? Depending, those could really make his tummy feel squidgy and if he's hurting, he's probably not going to eat.

Instead of kibble, I'd give him boiled meat and rice, maybe some yogurt if he can handle dairy.

I asked lots of people advice on wound care for Spud and basically what I did was flush the wounds twice a day with diluted betadine (in a hair color applicator) and applied the pyoben gel to the wounds. Even with the antibiotics you'll want to watch for infection- wounds are hot, itchy, or have an odor to them.

I know Merlin gets hot easily, so if you don't want to go the t shirt route, put him in a muzzle with a poop guard or tape the end so he can't lick at them.

Definitely talk to animal control before going over to the neighbor's house. When you go to the neighbor's house, don't go by yourself. Witnesses are always a good thing.

:grouphug to Merlin

:bighug to Merlin (and you!) I would give him a pepcid with his antibiotics, that will help if his tummy is upset. I hope he starts to feel better and eat soon.

The same thing happened to Fletcher a few years ago, except the other dog was a half-grown Shar Pei, and Fletcher wasn't hurt. We were very lucky the dog wasn't an adult. I still remember how shaken I was. Hardly surprising he isn't good with other breeds after that!

Guest paulamariez

Poor, sweet Merlin. My heart goes out to you because I know how you feel, since my tiny little 70 lb. boy Bueller got attacked by a hulking Mastiff at the park this past May. These people with their unleashed dogs are out of control. I can't even walk my dogs down my block because I am afraid that someone's unleashed, unsupervised dog will run out to the street and attack us! Even if they don't attack, the hounds still might find the approaching dog as a possible threat. The people up my block think that it's ok to let their dogs run loose because they're on "their" property. But what's to stop them from running into the street when they see another dog go by? Nothing will stop them, and poor Merlin is proof. I am very glad that Merlin is on the road to recovery, but I do know from experience that it will be a long, stressful recuperation for Merlin's mom. Many days are ahead of giving meds, cleaning wounds, keeping Merlin from licking and lack of sleep from watching and worrying during the night! I will keep you and Merlin in my prayers for a quick and uneventful recovery! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Merlin some get well doggie kisses, extra ones from Bueller because he said, he's been there! We too, had close to $600 worth of vet bills which we presented to the Mastiff's owner. He paid up without a peep upon immediate presentation of the vet bills. Hopefully your ignorant neighbor woman will do the same!

I am so sorry. Kiss Merlin for me and I am so happy that you took him into ER and filed all the necessary reports for this incident. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

How awful! Sending lots of "quick heal" vibes to Merlin and calming ones to you.

Sounds like you have a lot of stuff to do today, let us know how he's doing when you have a minute. I agree that the antibiotics make for upset tummies, that may be why he's not eating or it could be a leftover from the anesthesia.

So many posts! Thank you all for your concern, for your thoughts, for your advice. I'm sorry I'm only updating now but I was utterly exhausted, and fell asleep for a few hours after I finally managed to get Merlin to get some sleep.

I understand that sometimes dogs get loose. What makes me crazy in this case is that this woman adopted a really casual attitude, and left both doors ajar when she KNOWS and ACKNOWLEDGES that her dog is dog-aggressive. If you have a dog like that, and you can't be bothered to consult a behaviorist, at a minimum you should make sure that the dog is not able to get out and hurt other dogs. In this case that should have involved confining the dog with a pet gate or putting him in another room, so that he could not get out, since she had both doors slightly open. And why was she not supervising her child?? :angryfire

I was able to get Merlin to eat around 10am. I gave him a tablespoon and a half of wet food with a cup of kibble (I don't have any meat in the house, nor dairy, and DH has the car today so can't go to the store) to make it more appetizing. Then I gave him his antibiotics. He has been pacing all day, getting up and moving, unable to get comfortable. Finally, a couple of hours ago, I managed to get him to lie down on his good side, and he has been sleeping in the other room. I think I am going to ask the vet for some pain meds when I go there tomorrow.

Animal Control came round and told me that Maine Law requires that I confine my dog for 10 days. Technically speaking that means no access to other humans or dogs, until they have confirmed that both dogs have up to date rabies vaccinations (well, I know Merlin is up to date and can prove it). But the ACO told me I can walk him around the neighborhood as long as I restrict access to other dogs. So it seems rather vague to be honest :huh

We have to fill in a form, and DH has to write a report, and then we are to drop the forms off at the police dept. Once he has them - tomorrow - he will make contact with the owner of the dog. From the conversation I had with the ACO, I am not brimming with confidence, to be honest. I doubt she'll even get a warning. :angry: Another really off-putting thing was that the ACO kept saying "it" all the time ("it shouldn't do this" and "it should do that"), and I couldn't figure out what on earth he was talking about, until I realized that he was talking about Merlin! Oh that's right, dogs are just things aren't they? :angry: I felt like saying, He has a name you know, it's Merlin, and he's just a tad more important to me than my lampshades. <_<

Oy! Kerry, I just remembered that in Maine, a dog owner is not liable for anything a dog does while on the owner's own property; so if Merlin was in the dog's yard when it attacked, there may not be any liability to the "psycho dog"'s owner. Do a Google on dog bite Maine and you should hit it. Something to keep in mind when making the official complaint.

No, DH was walking on the street, Merlin was nowhere near the woman's property. She told us that apparently her dog has gone nuts before when he saw Merlin from a distance. You'd think that might have made her secure her doors, since we walk down her street on a regular basis.

I might have missed it but what antibiotics is he on?

Definitely talk to animal control before going over to the neighbor's house. When you go to the neighbor's house, don't go by yourself. Witnesses are always a good thing.

The e-vet gave him Amoxitabs. 400mg x 7 days. I am pretty sure it's what he got the first time we went to the e-vet clinic a year ago for stitches on his tail, so he's had it before.

So now I have a dilemma regarding payment, and I need your advice again! I wanted to go give her the bill this evening, and get a check from her today. When I mentioned yesterday that I was sending her the bill, she didn't say anything, but she didn't seem to object either. On the other hand, chances are that she will be really pissed off when she's contacted by Animal Control. I am worried that this will make her not want to pay the bill. However, some people have suggested that I let Animal Control speak with her first, and THEN ask for compensation, because that way I would have the weight of the law behind me (some weight...), and she might feel she had to pay or else have to deal with being hassled by Animal Control (not that this is true, really, because if she refuses to pay the next step will be small claims court - Animal Control have nothing to do with it).

So what do you all think? At the moment, I am thinking I should go give her the bill and ask for a check TODAY. What if she gets mad afterwards and refuses to cough up? I WILL take her to court, but I don't need the extra hassle. If she gets mad after she's paid, I don't give a toss, as long as she stays the hell away from me and keeps her dog away from Merlin. And if she is so mad that she then refuses to pay for the second vet bill I will get when the stitches come out, so be it. I doubt that will be a big bill anyway.

So I need your advice lovely GT peeps! Thanks!

kerry

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I don't know how I missed this, but I'm so sorry Merlin had to go through this. Glad to hear he will be okay, though.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Kerry, I could be wrong obviously, but if it were me, I would get the bill to her now, before the AC talks to her. Like you said, if she gets mad because you reported it, she may not be willing to pay.And if she does give you a check, get to her bank and cash it right away.I think that's the safest way to do it.Please let us know what happens. And a big kiss to Merlin. Get that poor guy something for pain. I'm surprised the e-vet didn't send you home with Tramadol.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest BlackandBrindle

First off, I can't believe they didn't give you pain meds. Call your personal vet, explain to him, and I bet he gets Merlin a script. Spud was on meds four about four days post attack.

Having already spoken to AC (did you ask them about presenting the bill to her?) I'd be inclined to give her the bill now.

From what the ACO told me, be prepared for her not to pay anything willingly. AZ has some really good animal protection laws and it's kinda sounding like Maine, not so much.

Make a copy of the vet bill and take it to her. Make her sign a statement acknowledging that she received it and when/if she pays, give her a signed document saying that the debt is paid in full.

We did that with the neighbor's whose dog attacked Spud.

Take a neighbor or someone with you if you can. As I keep saying, witnesses are a good thing!

First off, I can't believe they didn't give you pain meds.

That's kinda what I've been thinking too!! :angry:

Call your personal vet, explain to him, and I bet he gets Merlin a script. Spud was on meds four about four days post attack.

Having already spoken to AC (did you ask them about presenting the bill to her?) I'd be inclined to give her the bill now.

From what the ACO told me, be prepared for her not to pay anything willingly. AZ has some really good animal protection laws and it's kinda sounding like Maine, not so much.

Make a copy of the vet bill and take it to her. Make her sign a statement acknowledging that she received it and when/if she pays, give her a signed document saying that the debt is paid in full.

We did that with the neighbor's whose dog attacked Spud.

Take a neighbor or someone with you if you can. As I keep saying, witnesses are a good thing!

Good advice. I think I'll call a friend rather than just take Dh with me, as both DH and I are legally "the injured party". I was going to ask for a check right away. I'm not keen on giving her a deadline, and having to keep pushing for it. I did that with someone I considered a friend years ago and she disappeared and never paid me back. I know where this woman lives, which is in my favor this time. But still... I just want to put this to bed as soon as possible.

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest KennelMom

I'd try to get a check from her today. That way, if she stops payment on the check you have that info should you need to go to small claims court and then try to collect a judgement.

I agree. Take the bill to the owner NOW and try not to leave without a reimbursement check in hand from the owner.

In our case, when our whippet was attacked, we went straight from the e-vet's office to the dr's house (owner of the dog that bit him) with a copy of the bill. I'd asked the vet for a duplicate copy of the bill, and I told the owners that we'd just had Comet's wounds repaired, etc and here is a copy of the bill and he was lying in our car if they wanted to see him. They declined, and wrote us a check on the spot, which I took to the bank immediately, I might add... Good thing too, because when animal control got there a couple of days later, they were ticked and did not speak to us, nor have they ever spoken to us or even looked in our direction since.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest PhillyPups

I know when I took Stepper to the e-vet for his leg laceration, afterwards he was really spacey ~ did not even flick an ear when I went near him. I called my vet on her cell phone, and she asked about the pain meds he was on, I told her none, she had me meet her vet tech at her office and get pain meds for him (vet was on vacation in Michigan at the time). After the pain meds, he did a lot better. He was actually almost catatonic from the pain, and going into shock.

:bighug to you and to Merlin.

I'd try to get a check from her today. That way, if she stops payment on the check you have that info should you need to go to small claims court and then try to collect a judgement.

This is why I think it's a good idea to take the check right over to her bank and cash it. She won't have time to stop payment. I hate to be so distrustful, but that's been my experience.And if you cash it at your own bank, she would still have time to stop payment

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

This is why I think it's a good idea to take the check right over to her bank and cash it. She won't have time to stop payment. I hate to be so distrustful, but that's been my experience.And if you cash it at your own bank, she would still have time to stop payment

Hmmm. I don't know if the bank is open at the time I'm planning to go see her. (because I'm assuming she's at work until late afternoon, and DH ahs the car right now anyway so I'm stuck here)... I'll have to check... otherwise, I can go cash it first thing tomorrow morning, when the bank opens and BEFORE I drop off the completed forms to Animal Control. The ACO said he will only proceed and get in touch with her once I've dropped off the completed forms, or he's picked them up from me.

I am kinda scared to take Merlin with me in case her psycho dog is on the loose again. I don't have hard copies of the photos, but I can take my laptop with me if she wants to see the wounds after they were stitched up. Also, she lives around the corner, so I could always tell her that she's welcome to come and see Merlin for herself.

Thanks for the advice! :thumbs-up

Edited by merlinsmum

Hmmm. I don't know if the bank is open at the time I'm planning to go see her. (because I'm assuming she's at work until late afternoon, and DH ahs the car right now anyway so I'm stuck here)... I'll have to check... otherwise, I can go cash it first thing tomorrow morning, when the bank opens and BEFORE I drop off the completed forms to Animal Control. The ACO said he will only proceed and get in touch with her once I've dropped off the completed forms, or he's picked them up from me.

I am kinda scared to take Merlin with me in case her psycho dog is on the loose again. I don't have hard copies of the photos, but I can take my laptop with me if she wants to see the wounds after they were stitched up. Also, she lives around the corner, so I could always tell her that she's welcome to come and see Merlin for herself.

I wouldn't take Merlin, for no other reason than not putting him through that. She better pay you!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I wouldn't take Merlin, for no other reason than not putting him through that. She better pay you!!

Don't take Merlin with you unless you keep him in the car! We had to drive right by the devil dog's house on our way back from the e-vet; that's the only reason I had him with me. He stayed safely in the car while I played bill collector!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest ArtysPeople

Definitely get that poor Merlin some pain meds! I would call tonight before the vet closes and ask if they can call something in, if possible.

I'm glad the attack didn't happen on her lawn; since we live in an area where no one takes good care of their lawns, I've got a bad habit of letting Arty roam a few feet off of the sidewalk into yards, which was what made me think it might be an issue for you. But I'm glad it's not.

I agree with what other people have said about presenting her with the bill tonight. It's not going to be pleasant, but try to keep your cool and best of luck. :goodluck

ETA: and, oh yeah, don't take Merlin. Leave him at home with DH (who, from what you said in your earlier post, probably wouldn't be much help anyhow), and go with a "third party" witness. But you already knew that. ;)

Edited by ArtysPeople

Don't take Merlin - she was there during the attack and saw what her dog did. Just bring her the bill.

I would also do this asap, before she changes her mind. And if Animal Control really is useless, she may be more likely to resist paying after she speaks to them.

Guest VelvetEars

I would be inclined to send her the bill and a letter via certified mail (return receipt and signed for) so you could prove that it had been delivered. I would give her a deadline, and also let her know that if any other issues come to light in the next, say, 30 days, that the vet attributes to being a result of the attack, she may receive additional bills if more treatment is requried. I would also give her a deadline (because let's face it - even I don't have a large amount of cash that's easy to come by and if I were to try to write you a check for $600 it would bounce, so give her a little time to figure out how to come up w/ the $ if need be), with clear consequences if you don't receive the $ by the due date (e.g., late fees, interest, small claims court, whatever you decide).

Guest bobandpolly

I'd get the money today. No matter the situation I'd get it in writing that she received the bill and either paid or refused to pay. If she pays the bill give her documentation that she did.

Definitely take some one other than DH with you. You might even consider bringing a neighbor if there are any you are comfortable asking, only in that a neighbor has more of the appearance of being neutral than a 'friend' does. Further if it is someone the woman has a chance of seeing on a regular basis she might be more civil than if it is someone she won't have any further contact with.

I'd make her aware that this is the first vet bill. You know for sure he is going to have to have another appointment to get the stitches taken out, but also you don't know what might come over the next week such as the wound getting infected which might require further medical attention.

I'd take pictures with you. Walgreens has a photo service where you e-mail them the pictures then come pick them up with in about 2 hours, and I think it is about 19 cents a picture. Several other stores have a similar service, but I think there is a Walgreens in every town.

Good luck!