Merlin Was Attacked

DH was taking Merlin out for a walk around the neighborhood, and a mini Australian shepherd ran out of a house and attacked him, and bit him in two places. DH was not carrying Direct Stop with him, and didn't ask the owner for a phone number or anything. As soon as they got back and saw Merlin's gashes, I freaked and we all went back to that woman's house, got her name and number, told her I'm sending her a bill.

I don't know whether to take Merlin to the e-vet. The dog that attacked him seems to have ripped several layers of skin:

P1040705.jpg

P1040706.jpg

P1040707.jpg

P1040708.jpg

I know the injury on his rump looks bad from the photos, but the one I am worried about is the one on his side. we've disinfected it and put liquid bandage on it, but I don't know whether I should wait to see how he's doing and call my vet tomorrow morning, or go to the e-vet now. What do you think?? I am so angry and upset :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire I am tempted to go to the e-vet right now, but I don't know if this is considered too "minor"... not sure it we're talking stitches here for the one on his side.

Advice, as fast as you can.... please!

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, take him to the e-vet.

edited to add: Bites are very dirty and also, they may be deeper than they seem. He should get antibiotics too. If you wait too long to sew up a wound, it likely can't be done.

I would DEFINITELY take my dog to the e-vet.

Edited by cthounds

smokes.jpgcollect2.jpg

Pepper the lurcher, Smokey the longdog and Collect (Call Collect) the grey

Della Dee and AMF Achilles waiting at the bridge

Guest crazy4greys

I would take him to the vet. They will shave the area and clean it for you. They probably will not stitch it, because they usually don't stich bitte wounds, atleast my e-vet doesn't. You also can get antibiotics too. Whe Skylar was bit, I got Nolvasan Solution that is soaked in gauze pads to wipe the wound 2x a day. It worked great!

Poor Merlin! Make sure you also report it the ACO!

Edited by crazy4greys

Guest SoulsMom

OMG!! I'm so sorry! I think I'd be off to the vet just in case he needs stitches and an antibiotic. But that me, I'm very much the worrier. Poor Merlin. Is he ok mentally or is he freaked out? Hugs to you, this is my worst fear :grouphug

If it was one of my dogs, I would be at the E-Vet.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest BlackandBrindle

Is the skin in a vee shape, if so, go to the vet now! Stitches will be required most likely.

Also, you want to make sure that infection doesn't set in.

Personally, I'd probably go to the vet, to get antibiotics and written proof from a vet that these injuries were sustained. Also take pictures and call Animal Control.

Feel better Merlin! :grouphug

Take him. Something that lloks relatively small can be more serious than you think. There is a lot of bacteria in a dog bite. IF NOTHING else, he might need antibiotics.

Please update. I am so sorry Kerry. Unreal.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

OMG!! I'm so sorry! I think I'd be off to the vet just in case he needs stitches and an antibiotic. But that me, I'm very much the worrier. Poor Merlin. Is he ok mentally or is he freaked out? Hugs to you, this is my worst fear :grouphug

One of mine too, and it just came true, and I wasn't there to protect him. I'm going to the e-vet. Merlin seems ok, but I am so angry I can hardly speak right now.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LynnM

That's it? No biggie. He's not going to die between now and tomorrow, so no need for the e-vet. Injuries like these are how e-vets make their money. It can wait until morning.

If you have some clippers, clip the hair around the wound, wash it out several times daily, and you most likely won't even need a vet visit.

Lynn

Yes, definitely take him to the vet. Poor baby.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Sighthound

Sorry to hear about Merlin. I am a worry wart about our dogs. Mine would have been to the e-vet right away. I take no chances. Two weeks ago I took one of our ig's to the vet because of bumps. Turned out he had hives! It was from the new flea and tick medicine.

Guest tricolorhounds

I'd take him... Their skin rips so easily when there is an open wound, the chances of it getting bigger are great. In my experience, the vets have stitched and put in drains.

:grouphug hugs to Merlin

YES!

Dog bites can be MUCH worse than they look.

You also need to demand proof of rabies vaccination from the owner of the dog--

I'm so sorry! Poor Merlin!

Susan

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'd take him to the e-vet, and I don't say that very often. Those are nasty.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest Vinnie

Oh my goodness, poor Merlin and poor mum & dad - I would be freaked out and upset too - along with going to the e-vet immediately - I would rather be safe than sorry and being in his side like that, the teeth may have gone deeper than you think. Keeping my fingers crossed that this turns out not to be a big issue and that the other dog has all his shots. Please keep us posted. Sending healing thoughts and scritches.

Guest lizmego

I've learned form other more knowledgeable people than me that to only use the e-vet if a bone is sticking out of their body. I took my girl in to the e-vet when she ran into a chainlink fence while she was running in an enclosed ballfield. She had severely punctured her webbing of her two front paws. Knowing what I know now and know how poorly the e-vet treated her with their stitching, that I would truly wait to go to my regular vet I trust to fix my dog. Also, LynnM is a vet tech and I would totally trust her judgement. Wait until morning or check and see if your vet has late hours. Our vet has late evening hours two days a week.

Hugs to Merlin.

Guest shanesmom

Elton had a bite last year in almost the same place and looked very similar in size. It was during business hours so he was taken the vet who did clean it real good and then put a few staples in to help keep it together to heal faster. He also put him on antibiotics and still the area became really swollen for a few days.

Elton also had to wear jammies for a while to keep him from licking/chewing on it and making it worse.

Sending hugs to Merlin. Hope he's not hurting too much.

Edited by shanesmom