Merlin Was Attacked

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zeushounds

I am so sorry to hear about Merlin. I am glad you took him to the E-Vet and he is doing okay.

We just had a similar situation with one of ours getting bit by a neighbors german shephard. Thankfully not bad enough for stitches, but still prone to infection and possibly needing a drain. The meds ended up making him sick. The owner did agree to pay the bill. Maybe he will try to teach his dog better come-when-called response. I guess that would only work when you call the dog though...UGH! He turns out to be an attorney! We will see. So now we have to deal with the emotional trauma. We had a cocker spaniel run out at us the other day and Tigger tried to bolt and bucked.

Good luck

Thanks, everyone, for checking in! Merlin seemed to start feeling better yesterday evening. It took him all day, but eventually he figured out he couldn't lie on the side the stitches were on or it would hurt. Unfortunately that's the side he likes to lie on, usually, so it didn't come that naturally to him to lie on the other side. But he figured it out eventually :rolleyes: By the evening, he was even lying down on the side of the stitches without apparently feeling too much discomfort.

Around 7PM, When I asked him if he wanted to go for a walk he was soooo happy he ran towards me, danced in a circle twice, shook his head sideways at me, did his cute little excited jump routine, and started play-bowing. :) :) :) Looks like my goofy boy is feeling better. He ate normally last night and this morning... his appetite is definitely back.

Last night he slept on the futon in one of the downstairs bedrooms (he's been doing this recently as it's cooler there), but came upstairs in the early hours of the morning and sniffed my face and wagged his tail. I thought he might need to poop as he only pooped once yesterday (I'm wondering if that's a side effect of the Amoxitabs? :dunno When he's been on other antibiotics, like Clavamox or Cephalexin, he's had the runs). But he didn't need to go out - he just said hello and then went straight to his bed and laid down. This morning when I woke up he was snoring and roaching :lol:

I have an appointment with my regular vet in a couple of hours, which makes me feel better.

As for the owner of the dog who bit Merlin, DH and I went over to her house 3 times yesterday evening, and she wasn't in. I saw the dog for the first time, from the window... he's so small! :wow He must have REALLY jumped and lunged to bite Merlin in that side spot.

Anyway.. please keep your fingers crossed for us... we're going to go over there again tonight, I'll let you know what happens.

Zeushounds - I'm so sorry one of your greys was bitten too! :angryfire:grouphug:goodluck

PS Jeannine - you're right about DH. I think I was angry at first because he didn't take Direct Stop with him, and didn't ask for a ohone number, but the more I heard about how the attack happened, the clearer it became that it all took place in the space of about 15 seconds, it was just so fast and unexpected that Dh didn't even have time to react, let alone reach for the citronella canister and spray... plus, I think that dog was hell-bent on attacking Merlin and I doubt the citronella would have stopped him... it's not always effective with those kinds of dogs. So I really don't blame DH.

Edited to add: for those of you who have PMed me and/or emailed me and haven't heard back from me yet, I do apologize!! I will reply, I've just been so busy with Merlin and this whole situation with the dog's owner, and I got back to work today after a day away I've spent all day catching up with work because I need to leave early to go to the vet. Thank you so much for your kindness, I am truly touched. :wubsite GTers are the BEST.

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest bobandpolly

Glad to hear he is feeling so much better. I do have to say after reading your account we were much more vigilant when going for our walk last night. Previously we had been more concerned of Mack going after a small dog, and now we were more watching for one to come after him.

Guest MAXNAV
Last night he slept on the futon in one of the downstairs bedrooms (he's been doing this recently as it's cooler there), but came upstairs in the early hours of the morning and sniffed my face and wagged his tail. I thought he might need to poop as he only pooped once yesterday (I'm wondering if that's a side effect of the Amoxitabs? :dunno When he's been on other antibiotics, like Clavamox or Cephalexin, he's had the runs). But he didn't need to go out - he just said hello and then went straight to his bed and laid down. This morning when I woke up he was snoring and roaching :lol:

My guys when they didn't eat for a day or so, they didn't poop normally. When they finally would eat, they'd only poop 1x the first day, and by the second day after a few meals, they were on a roll. It might take a few days to get back to normal.

So glad to hear he's doing better.

Edited by MAXNAV

Guest md7nd

Woot! Glad hes getting back to himself and it sounds like you are doing better. You're right about this site and Gters, I find it amazing we all have our two cents, but when one of ours is missing, hurt, or sick..the response of kindess is really out there. And of course, all the good info that everybody tries and help. I'll try and check back tonight to see any info, but if not, hope you both have a better weekend! rest and peaceful!

Guest fastdogs
As for the owner of the dog who bit Merlin, DH and I went over to her house 3 times yesterday evening, and she wasn't in. I saw the dog for the first time, from the window... he's so small! :wow He must have REALLY jumped and lunged to bite Merlin in that side spot.

Sadly, it appears to me as though she is not going to make it easy for you to talk to her about paying the bill. It's probably in your best interest to send her a certified letter asking for payment of the existing and subsequent vet bills pertaining to this event. You might consider including pictures of his injuries. This should help you create a paper trail for what seems likely to end in small claims court. Keep all communication with her clear, concise and to the point and keep a copy of everything you send her.

Good luck.

I'm only just seeing all of this now. I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. Neyla has been attacked twice, so I know how it feels. The first time around wasn't too bad and she didn't have any issues afterward. The second attack was worse and she's now a bit fearful meeting dogs on lead, but nothing terrible. I'm sure Merlin will be fine. I hope you get payment from the owner quickly. In our case, sending pictures of Neyla's wounds along with a copy of the dog park rules stating an owner was liable for damage his dog did did the trick. He sent a check immediately. Good luck!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Bodie

I just caught up with this post so I'm adding my two cents somewhat late. I work for an attorney and these things get out of hand so fast. My suggestion would be to take over the bill, present it to her nicely - don't demand payment (ask) and, in particular, don't get angry. Anger causes another person to become defensive and may make her withhold payment. Don't record the conversation - that may make her wonder what is going on and not pay, when she fully intended to pay. You want to try and get your check from her before the animal control officer comes and she realizes that giving you the check for the attack is actually an admission of guilt. She won't want to pay any fines in addition to paying Merlin's bills.

If she refuses to pay - you certainly have enough information (and bills) to take her to Small Claims Court. If your area is like ours, most people here ignore a summons to Small Claims Court ( the if-I-ignore-it,-it-will-go-away mentality) and then the judgment is automatically in the Plaintiff's favor. Collecting (at least in PA) is somewhat problematic, but once the constable goes to the house to assess the value of items for a sheriff's sale to pay the bill, the judgment is generally paid.

Above all - remain calm and level-headed throughout. If tempers flare into a public outburst you want to be sure that you didn't start it.

I just caught up with this post so I'm adding my two cents somewhat late. I work for an attorney and these things get out of hand so fast. My suggestion would be to take over the bill, present it to her nicely - don't demand payment (ask) and, in particular, don't get angry. Anger causes another person to become defensive and may make her withhold payment. Don't record the conversation - that may make her wonder what is going on and not pay, when she fully intended to pay. You want to try and get your check from her before the animal control officer comes and she realizes that giving you the check for the attack is actually an admission of guilt. She won't want to pay any fines in addition to paying Merlin's bills.

If she refuses to pay - you certainly have enough information (and bills) to take her to Small Claims Court. If your area is like ours, most people here ignore a summons to Small Claims Court ( the if-I-ignore-it,-it-will-go-away mentality) and then the judgment is automatically in the Plaintiff's favor. Collecting (at least in PA) is somewhat problematic, but once the constable goes to the house to assess the value of items for a sheriff's sale to pay the bill, the judgment is generally paid.

Above all - remain calm and level-headed throughout. If tempers flare into a public outburst you want to be sure that you didn't start it.

:nod

REALLY good advice. This is a very clear cut case and I hope for your sake Kerry that you do not have to waste time in small claims court.

Sadly, it appears to me as though she is not going to make it easy for you to talk to her about paying the bill. It's probably in your best interest to send her a certified letter asking for payment of the existing and subsequent vet bills pertaining to this event. You might consider including pictures of his injuries. This should help you create a paper trail for what seems likely to end in small claims court. Keep all communication with her clear, concise and to the point and keep a copy of everything you send her.

Good luck.

Just because someone is not home in the evening after work does not mean she is avoiding Kerry. It's perfectly normal to not be home after work for an evening....but I'd def. check in on said neighbor every day! Maybe you'll have luck this weekend. It could also be that said neighbor works 2nd shift (or some other shift) too....

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Hi Kerry,

I'm glad to hear Merlin is feeling well enough to get his appetite back.

Not that I'm the suspicious sort, but I think maybe the other owner is dodging you. Before you record her, be sure Maine is a "one party" state (that is, it's legal to record a conversation if only one party is aware of the recording).

Marc and the Joisey Girls

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Here's an idea. We should gather all Merlin's friends from the Unruly Chat club and all show up at this woman's house. Better yet...all merlin's friends from GT

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Looks like Maine is "One Party" state regarding recording conversations.

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm

Karen with Tessye (galgo b 2017), Fidel (galgo b c2012), and bridge kids Dublin (J's Texmex 1996-12/31/01), Daisy (Assurance 8/8/95-9/26/07),  Bubba (Kelsos Irony b 5/99-8/19/10), and Mabel (Googly Spin  1/06-11/19)

greytalk-siggie-feb-2023.jpg

Guest SoulsMom
Here's an idea. We should gather all Merlin's friends from the Unruly Chat club and all show up at this woman's house. Better yet...all merlin's friends from GT

Soul's in! Maine is just up the road a bit :colgate

Guest FrostyBottoms

Just now seeing this! So sorry this happened to Merlin! This just happened to my friend the other week...2 dogs busted through a screen door. It's horrible! Kiss Merlin for us. And take care of yourself Kerry.

Jeannie

Guest Vinnie

Gracie, "Baby" Gus & their Uncle Higgins (all 103 lbs of him!) are behind you too - unfortunately we are in the other Portland - Oregon - can the magic bus come get us?

How is Merlin doing today?

Guest Dillymom
Last night he slept on the futon in one of the downstairs bedrooms (he's been doing this recently as it's cooler there), but came upstairs in the early hours of the morning and sniffed my face and wagged his tail. I thought he might need to poop as he only pooped once yesterday (I'm wondering if that's a side effect of the Amoxitabs? When he's been on other antibiotics, like Clavamox or Cephalexin, he's had the runs). But he didn't need to go out - he just said hello and then went straight to his bed and laid down. This morning when I woke up he was snoring and roaching

I'm so glad to read that he is acting more like himself. We've been worried here. Lola sends her love

Gracie, "Baby" Gus & their Uncle Higgins (all 103 lbs of him!) are behind you too - unfortunately we are in the other Portland - Oregon - can the magic bus come get us?

How is Merlin doing today?

Maybe we could borrow George's eagle friend :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greyt2love

Actually, Freagle is Merlin's buddy !! And Rex can provide the Magic Bus for anyone who needs it !! Just let him know. He'll send the bus and the River City gang will be in it to go support Merlin and Kerry !!!

Deb