Merlin Was Attacked

Guest SoulsMom

I see no reason at all to KNOT use the e-vet. The other dogs owner should, and hopefully will, take responsibility for the bills. :angryfire

ETA: I'd also get him into my regular vet the next day to check over the E vets work and make sure there are not any other issues they might have missed

Edited by SoulsMom

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take him for multiple reasons...

he could probably use a few staples

I would definitely want him on antibiotics

there will be a 'report' of damage done because of the other dog

I sure hope he heals quickly and uneventfully :hope :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest greyt2love

Poor, poor Merlin, and poor Kerry ! having gone through this with Caesar several times, I understand how traumatic it is. I have always been able to get him into our regular vet, but he has always needed at least stitches and antibiotics. Twice he had drains and I did not think it looked too bad - it was the damage and dead skin underneath that I couldn't see that was the issue. So yes, I would take him to the vet, but not necessarily the e-vet. Ours is quite a distance and so I go only when it's something that clearly needs immediate attention and more expertise than my EMT training can

deal with.

Hugs, prayers and good thoughts to both of you .

Deb

I agree with everyone about heading to the e-vet to be on the safe side. I'm relieved to know that you're probably there by now. I'm so sorry that this happened. Soft scritches to Merlin and hugs to you and your DH. :grouphug We'll all be anxiously awaiting your update. :goodluck

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

Oh no...not Merlin. My concern is always the need for an antibiotic.But I suppose that could wait until morning. When Misty ripped her nail out I went to the e-vet, but I couldn't stop the bleeding. The e-vet said she did need an antibiotic and if the bleeding wasn't an issue, it could have waited until morning.I read LynnM's post and I honestly trust her opinion. But the bottom line is, you have to be comfortable as well as Merlin. PLEASE let us know and give that handsome boy a big hug from us. This is for you Merlin :kiss2

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh, poor Merlin. No wonder you're upset. But can you imagine how you'd be feeling now if it had been you with Merlin when he got bit? It sounds like the attack was fast and unexpected, and it would have scared the sh*t out of you. Those things just put your heart into fibrillation.

I personally would rather have my regular vet who I trust, rather than an e vet I don't know, treat my dogs. But that's just me. No advice, other than do what you feel you need to do.

Let us know how your boy is doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Aw, poor Merlin. I don't really have any advice (and you've already gotten better than I could offer anyway). Whatever you decide, please let us know how Merlin is doing. We'll be thinking of him and you.

:kiss2 from the Joisey Girls

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I'm so sorry this happened. I hope Merlin heals without any complications. Give him a gentle hug for me.

I am no longer able to walk my dogs in my neighborhood for this very reason -- loose dogs! GRRRRR ....

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I hate reading this kind of stuff. Getting attacked with my boys is one of my greatest fears. I hope Merlin will be ok and you will get some satisfaction from the other owner.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest KennelMom

We probably wouldn't go to the e-vet...just wait to talk to our regular vet in the am. I doubt either wound needs stitches to heal well but you may want a round of antibiotics if they are deep punctures.

Poor guy!

Edited by KennelMom

If it were me...yes E-Vet...and file the necessary reports for your record. Feel better soon sweetie boy. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Ah Merlin and Kerry I'm so sorry to read this. I'm guessing you are gone to the vet. Let us know how that sweetheart is and know we're thinking of you.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Are you home yet? How did everything go? How is Merlin doing?

Have you taken your xanax yet? :lol

In all seriousness, I think that if you have a trained eye and experience assessing wounds, you can decide whether or not a wound needs immediate treatment. If you don't feel comfortable making that assessment, I'd err on the side of caution and go.

You can also ask your vet if she/he would be willing to give you some amoxicillin or clavamox to keep at home for situations like this; with antibiotics on board and a thorough wound cleansing, I'd feel more secure about waiting to see my own vet.

Hoping to hear that the patient is comfy and snoozing!

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

That's it? No biggie. He's not going to die between now and tomorrow, so no need for the e-vet. Injuries like these are how e-vets make their money. It can wait until morning.

If you have some clippers, clip the hair around the wound, wash it out several times daily, and you most likely won't even need a vet visit.

Lynn

I gotta agree with Lynn. I've seen enough of these injuries to know they generally heal up pretty well if they're kept clean. We generally use something like granulex or furazone and spray it on after cleaning. If you think it's deep enough to require antibiotics, it can easily wait til morning.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Just checking in to see if you're back yet. Anxious to hear how Merlin is doing. I HATE when they get hurt. And getting hurt while he's minding his own business is an insult!! We're thinking about you Merlin. And you know Misty's remedy....ice cream!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless