Merlin Was Attacked

Thank you to everyone who gave advice. We're just back from the e-vet. Merlin needs stitches in both wounds, and the e-vet says he might need a drain too. He's also going to get antibiotics. We had to leave him overnight, I'm picking him up early tomorrow.

That b*tch is getting a visit from Animal Control and a $532 bill. I already told her when I went back there that I wanted her phone number and that I was sending her the bill, she didn't object at the time, let's see what she says when she gets the bill. I don't care, I will drag her ass all the way to court if I need to. I don't give a crap about fighting with someone in my neighborhood whom I might have to meet again and again over the next few years. I am NOT letting this happen again, to Merlin or any other dog. I am so angry that DH didn't have Direct Stop with him, and didn't even ask the woman for her phone number, I had to take the initiative to deal with this. But whatever. My DH has social anxiety, so I can't really blame him I suppose. The thing that drives me mad is that she was so freaking casual about it all, displaying a "these things happen" kind of attitude (not on my planet, it doesn't!! :angryfire :angryfire ), saying that her dog was "psycho dog" with other dogs. I said, did you consult a behaviorist? She said yes, a couple of years ago, but "it didn't really help" (read: she didn't bother seeing it through). Apparently the dog ran out of the house because the screen door was ajar, as she was recharging her electric bike. She knows she has an aggressive dog, she knows the neighborhood is full of dogs, and she doesn't think to confine the dog with a pet gate the dog while her screen door is ajar. What a bloody idiot. :headwall:riphair:headwall

I can't believe this happened. Merlin has a happy tail wag and a cheerful play bow for every person or dog he meets. It breaks my heart. Luckily, he seemed in good spirits the whole time we disinfected the wound. I am sure he will be absolutely fine. I'm not worried about him... I am just so angry at people's complete lack of regard and responsibility. What if my dog had been a toddler?? I bet she wouldn't have been so bloody casual then!

Thanks for listening. I know some of this post belonged in Soap Box, sorry... I just thought I'd post an update on Merlin's situation on this thread, and then I guess I just got carried away.

Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts.

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vinnie

So sorry he had to be left overnight. But glad to hear that it was not worse. I hope that the owner does take the responsibility without you having to take her to court, and hopefully ac will follow up on the situation. Will keep Merlin in our thoughts and prayers, sending lots of healing thoughts.

Guest myjazzy

I'm so sorry this happened to Merlin, and I'm glad he's going to be ok. I can totally understand your being angry at that woman. Of course she can act like it's no big deal. It's not her dog who has two bite wounds. :angryfire Hopefully the vet bill and the animal control visit will change her attitude.

I'm sure there are many of us who know exactly how you are feeling right now. I feel so bad this happened. You handled it way better than I would have.I have no doubt that you're not going to allow this bimbo to get away with anything. I don't understand why Merlin had to stay overnight? Please, keep us posted on how he's doing and that the bill was paid

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Carry on all you want. I've been there and the part that burned my up the most was that I didn't even get so much as an apology from the owners. Merlin's injuries look like they will heal very well and he shouldn't have any anxiety around other dogs, Grace didn't and her injuries were MUCH worse.

Oh, it burns me up when people have the "they are dog, they do these things" attitude. Gggrrr. :angryfire :angryfire

Get well soon Merlin! :kiss2

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Hopefully the vet bill and the animal control visit will change her attitude.

That's one of the reasons I decided to go to the e-vet. It gives more weight to my complaint. Although to be honest, I'm mostly glad I went because he needed stitches so obviously it was the right thing to do. Wasn't going to take any chances.

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Pipi5
I've been where you are not that long ago. PM me when you need to talk. :grouphug

Pegasus & Bool got into a fight one night, I ended up with a very large gash in my arm & I ended up at the Evet...uh ER. When I got home, the boys were all okay, Bool had a puncture wound on his elbow, that was it. By the end of the week, his leg was swollen...he ended up at my vet for a week because of the infection.

I ended up with an infection in my arm even though I had been to the ER, stitches & all kinds of pills.

Bless your heart :beatheart

I don't understand why Merlin had to stay overnight?

The vet had at least three surgeries to perform with the prospect of more to come. The dog who went in before us was in a terrible state, a boxer who'd had an encounter with a porcupine and his face was COVERED in spines. It was nasty. They were going to put Merlin under anyway, there was no point in us staying. I am not going to sleep properly tonight anyway - the house is so weird without Merlin in it - so I might get up at 4am and go pick him up.

Carry on all you want. I've been there and the part that burned my up the most was that I didn't even get so much as an apology from the owners. Merlin's injuries look like they will heal very well and he shouldn't have any anxiety around other dogs, Grace didn't and her injuries were MUCH worse.

I remember... they were horrific. You mean the incident that occurred when you were dog-sitting the grey whose owners never brought a muzzle for, right? And the dog attacked Grace and she had lacerations all over her neck? I still remember the photos. :cry1

Hilda: ouch!!!! :(

Edited by merlinsmum

Kerry,

I'm glad Merlin will be OK. Based on what you said, it does sound like it was wise you went to the E-vet.

Yes, a dog can escape accidentally, but if you have a self-described "psycho" dog, you need to take extra precautions (which clearly she did not). I hope she is a woman of her word and pays the vet bill (and we don't end up seeing you on Judge Judy ;))

:getwell

Marc and the Joisey Girls

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest BlackandBrindle

Just breathe :grouphug

Try to be calm when you talk to animal control- it goes a long way. Make sure you take pictures (can't stress this enough) and hopefully the lady will take precautions in the future.

I sent you a pm :grouphug

Hey Kerry. :kiss2 for that sweet wizard.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest TippyTy

Oh, Merlin! :getwell:dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie

Kerry, rant all you want. This woman even knew that her dog is "psycho" around other dogs and didn't bother to implement any safeguards! :angryfire

Kerry,

I'm glad Merlin will be OK. Based on what you said, it does sound like it was wise you went to the E-vet.

Yes, a dog can escape accidentally, but if you have a self-described "psycho" dog, you need to take extra precautions (which clearly she did not).

:getwell

Marc and the Joisey Girls

Marc, thanks so much (glad to see you back here, we were all rather worried in the Unruly Chat room! :) )

I hope she is a woman of her word and pays the vet bill (and we don't end up seeing you on Judge Judy ;))

I'll be the one with the big mouth ranting at the judge and ignoring her threats to remove me from the courtroom :lol:;):P

Guest doggiehappiness

I'm so sorry that this happened to Merlin, but I'm sure he'll be better soon. Take care, and good for you for your plans to call Animal Control. That neighbor needs a reality check.

Guest LadyChester

Hugs to Merlin and to you :grouphug Sending healing thought for your sweet boy. It is SO hard to leave them at the e-vet, isn't it? But I'm sure he's in good hands and his resiliency will allow him to bounce back from this.

I am glad you got him in to the vets! I am sorry he had to stay. :( Hopefully he will heal quickly and have no problems medically or psychologically from it.

Big hugs to you! I would be burning mad too! But Mary Jo is right. When you talk to animal control, try to be calm, cool, collected and factual. Have all your documents of proof with you.

We will be thinking of you.

The Girls

Guest greyscot

Oh poor Merlin. I would be like you if that happened to any of my dogs - so many people will not take responsibility for their actions these days, so good for you for letting her have a piece of your mind (and the vets bill)!!!

Hope Merlin is okay today and that you are feeling better too.

Guest SoulsMom

How's he doing this morning? Poor baby . . . and you! After an experience like that I think I'd need an adult beverage. . . . . .Or five.

Keep us posted on how he's doing and how things are going with the psycho dog owner.

Kerry, I can understand your angry--hopefully you feel a little better when you pick him up. He'll be fine, but unfortunately these things DO happen. I'm really glad you took him to the vet, and hopefully it won't turn (and stay!) ugly with the owner of the other dog. Why people don't take more care with an animal they know isn't friendly is beyond me.

Hugs and hopes for a better day,

Susan

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'm so sorry to hear this happened...once again another incident that sounds totally preventable...heal up quick Merlin.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Just got back from picking Merlin up at the e-vet. He was pretty whiny at first, but settled down as soon as we got home. Here are pics of his stitches.

P1040727.jpg

P1040725.jpg

He's on antibiotics. I am going to stay home today to keep an eye on him. He's already started licking his stitches :rolleyes:

I also have to deal with Animal Control and give that woman the $400+ bill. I think I'm going to speak to Animal Control first, and explain what happened. I am going to take Merlin out for a short walk, and feed him (he didn't have dinner last night and he is giving me The Look right now).

Thanks again everyone for your support. When we got back to an empty house last night, upset and angry, the only thing that gave me comfort was being on GT, among people who understand.

Edited by merlinsmum