Please Send Prayers For Johnny, It's Bloat Update W/pictures

Guest JohnnyBell

I'm so glad to see he's home. He should recover quickly now.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a relief just to be home again. Am remembering what the first night home was like after my boy's GDV. Part way through I decided we'd made a terrible mistake & should have taken back to ER. Yet in the morning he seemed better. By the next afternoon he actually tried to jump into the truck! Amazing how recuperative it can be to sleep in your own bed!

Feel better, Johnny. Settle into your bed, relax, & recover quickly.

Guest Vinnie

WooHoo! So glad you were able to bring him home. This should help him heal so much faster. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and sending gentle hugs and scritches.

Oh I'm so happy Johnny is home with you!! This is the best news I've heard all day, all month!! :gh_bow:couchjump:gh_bow

:getwell Johnny!!!

:bighug

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

That is the BEST news! I have been thinking about Johnny all day and checking in. I'm sure he feels much better

now that he is home with his family.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Ah....good! I'm sure Johnny feels the same way. There is no place like home, and no one like Mom, to make you feel less stressed. Hope this will help him get better and better.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Johnny's Home!!!!!!! We came to the conclusion that with all the anxiety issues Johnny's having at the hospital, he would be better at home. He was stressin a lot at the vet and still worked up when I first got home, but he has settled down a lot. He is now resting in his favorite bed. He has so many meds that he has his own little pharmacy going on. I'm just so happy he's here with us. :confetti:confetti

Congratulations, it sounds like he is out of the woods. Home is often the best place to recuperate, hospitals of any sort are loud and unfamiliar. Best to you and Johnny.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest JohnnyBell

Thank you everyone for all the thoughts and prayers. I love you guys :wub: . Johnny is doing fairly well. The only problem I'm having with him is keeping water down. If I put ice in a bowl he licks it till it's melted and gone and he keeps that all down, but if he drinks water out of a bowl he vomits it back up. When he drinks the water it sounds as if he has trouble swollowing it and like he's gulping air with it. Food all stays down fine. Any suggestions??

Here are a few pictures I'd like to share.

P1000300.jpg

P1000301.jpg

This is me giving Johnny some ice. My DH said my pups were spoiled. What do you think ;) ?? Look at his bruised up belly

P1000303.jpg

P1000309.jpg

Edited by JohnnyBell

Guest Winterwish

aw poor Johnny,I hope he's feeling better soon. I wouldn't push the water much,especially if it seems to be that he's taking in a lot of air with the swallows. You've discovered a good method with the ice cube! You're doing a great job!

Figure too,he's most likely fairly well hydrated I'm assuming,because of having had IV fluids,so that's good.

get well wishes out to Johnny,he's a cutie! :wub::getwell

Edited by Winterwish

So glad your boy is home and able to eat. Might need to thicken his water for now if he's having trouble swallowing thin liquids. You can probably find a thickening agent in a drug store (as the pharmacist) and stir some in. It works for cold as well as hot liquids but isn't corn starch that needs cooking. Maybe plain gelatin added to the water would work or does that need to be heated? :blink:

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Wow, what a cutie pie!!! :wub:

So glad he is home and he looks good!! I was so worried about him and you! You are doing a wonderful job with him!

:bighug

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

He looks so happy to be home, especially the last picture. Sending wishes for continued recovery. You must feel relieved. :grouphug

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest greyscot

He'll do so much better at home. Just looking at that picture with you feeding him ice cubes brings a lump to my throat. It's so horrible when they get sick. :getwell

I'm so glad he's home! :yay

Recovery from abdominal surgery can take quite a while. One of the online articles says recovery is "prolonged", so it's good that he's eating already. I like the ice cube idea and putting a little more water in his food so he can get some hydration that way. I didn't know about the gel to make it easier to swallow liquids. What a great invention!

A friend of mine has a friend whose dog (a Kuvaz) had such serious bloat they didn't think she'd live. She was in the hospital at least a week. She's fine now, about 3 months later.

This must be so stressful for Johnny, you, and your DH but know we're all pulling for Johnny.

Marcia in SC