Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About brindlebaby

  • Birthday February 15

Previous Fields

  • Real Name

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    St. Louis, MO
  • Interests
    Greyhound, shopping, greyhounds, shopping...not necessarily in that order. ;-) Oh, and Cardinal baseball!

brindlebaby's Achievements

Jr Grey lover

Jr Grey lover (5/9)

  1. We had the same leaking issues with both of our recent greys. After seeing specialists, testing, etc... DES was the only thing to stop the leaking. We get it by mail order thru APS Pharmacy in FL. I hope Macie feels better and you get solutions.
  2. I just wanted to thank everyone for all your help and advice, I wish I had better news. Our vet got down on the floor and was examining Pixie and saying heart sounds good, she wasn’t saying anything that alarmed me. I was telling her about my posting on GT, about what meals I had been giving her, about her bark changing. I had brought in a stool sample and also told her Pixie felt warm to me that morning, so check if she has a fever. She asks if she can do an x-ray and they went down the hall. She said there was a football size mass on the x-ray and I think my mind went blank at that moment. Usually I am prepared for anything bad, but I truly wasn’t prepared for this. I kept asking what, what, because I think my hearing went. She showed me the films and said she couldn’t see Pixie’s intestines from the mass. She said we have to make some decisions. She mentioned it probably is hemangiosarcoma, something about spleen, I ask if she could take out the spleen. She said yes, but then gave me a lot of info why I don’t want to put Pixie through that. She called my husband to come and then left me and Pixie alone. I called my husband back and asked that he bring Pixie two plain hamburgers. There’s a Hardee’s directly across the street from the vet. Pixie woofed down both and seemed to really enjoy them (they made a mistake and put catsup, mustard and pickles on) and even thought I removed what I could, it just smelled better. I said she really enjoyed them, I am going to go across the street and get two more. My husband he would, if I got up, Pixie would get up and walk around. (I was laying on her bed with her.). The Hardee’s lady said to my husband, “Weren’t you just in here?” He said yes, we have a sick dog. This time he just ordered two hamburgers and she gave him plain?? Anyway, Pixie still loved them. We had just been through hemangiosarcoma in 2014 and 2015 with our July, did chemo and she got 4 good months with no episodes. The day of her “after chemo” one month checkup, she got a good report. We hadn’t even made it home when she exhibited the same signs that something wasn’t right. Got her home, called her oncologist and headed right back. I told her doctor it was like a cruel joke, we were all happy about the good news and we didn’t even make it home. They drained the fluid and she recovered, we hoped to get another good 4 months, but it wasn’t even a full week and we let her go on a Sunday night. We also had two dogs that had suspected hemangiosarcoma, but with spleen removal they were fine. We talked about removing the spleen, I would want Pixie on Amicar before any surgery. Pixie has never had to spend a night away from us since we got her in 2007. When we adopted her she was advertised as a “special needs” because of her extreme shyness. I always worried when we took her to any vet because she would tremble so bad, I was afraid she’d have a stroke or heart attack. With Pixie’s weight loss, she had gone down 7 pounds from 55 to 48, her age, her skittishness and nervousness around strangers, her never being away from home alone over night, we made the painful decision to let her go. We were able to stay with her until we were ready and told her about her adoption, our travels together, how much love and sunshine she brought to our family. I held her as she left us, told her how much we loved her and told her to look for our other greys Callie and Ava, Grandma and July, and wait for me. I am still stunned, can’t believe she’s gone. I never even gave it a thought that she wouldn’t be coming home with us, just thought we’d get some info on new foods, etc... When I left, I had such a headache and just sat in my car and sobbed. Last night is a blur, I still haven’t called my friends to tell them, I don’t want to talk about it. I still can’t believe it. I’m now second guessing myself, maybe the mass was a hematoma when her and one of our other dogs got into a squabble in the yard in late January?! Since we got our first grey Callie in April 2001, we’ve always had at least one grey in our home. Even with two other dogs and two cats, our house seems so quiet and empty. Our other dogs seemed ok yesterday, today they seem somber and sad. Thank you again for all your care and kindness. Kim
  3. I am hoping you’re right about just normal typical senior behavior! I think you’re right about the sense of smell, just offered her little piece of regular chicken and she smelled and went on her merry way. Then put three chicken treats on her bed and she ate them. Breakfast seems to be the meal she’s always had issues with! Now it’s getting to be both meals, but have been successful so far getting her to eat her dinner (it’s exhausting though!). Today and yesterday I noticed she gags like she going to throw up, but nothing comes out... possibly just sick to her stomach because she’s hungry?? I feel the same way if I don’t eat. I hope the appointment goes well and it’s just her tastebuds and not something more serious. Right now I’m headed to the grocery store to pick up things to tempt her with. She has always liked the cans of white meat chicken so will get those, a couple of her favorite treats and whatever looks good that I think she would like. I will post back tomorrow after the vet, thanks! Thank you so much, she has always been picky, does not like cheese! I’m going to see if there’s any threads with ideas of what to feed / cook for picky senior greys so they keep up their strength and pick up a few pounds.
  4. I’m not sure, at first just noticed a couple ribs were more pronounced. This has just been in the last couple of weeks, but she feels bonier, even the top of her head when I pet her. Tomorrow before the vet, I am going to have my husband get on the scale and then get back on the scale while holding Pixie. I want to compare our scale to the vets so I can keep better track of her weight when she gets home (hope I can get some weight back on her). I don’t want to know until tomorrow how much she weighs, I am really stressing about the visit. I am a worrier normally, just always think the worse.
  5. Your post gave me comfort, kind of describes Pixie to a T! We put her food on a small raised stool in our bedroom and she will stand to eat a bit, but then goes back to lay on her bed. I can usually get her to finish, will put her food bowl on a pad and she will eat while on the bed. Sometimes she will eat out of my hand. Sometimes (usually breakfast) she doesn’t get up to eat at all, but will lay there and let out barks. I will let one of the dogs in and she hops up like a fireman and runs over to her stool and eats. She’s a pistol, the only dog I know who turns her nose up at cheese!
  6. Hello, Our grey Pixie is almost 12.5 years old (will be 13 October 15th). Shes always been on the small side, but it appears she is losing more weight that she should. I noticed that one or two of her bottom ribs seemed more pronounced and just thought she is losing a little weight because shes 12 now. At the end of January she and one of our other dogs got into a squabble while out on a potty break which Necessitated a middle of the night trip to the ER for Pixie. The vet there wanted to send her home with meds and asked if she could check her bloodwork before prescribing. I mentioned that I was going to make an appointment with her regular vet regarding her weight loss for exam and bloodwork and said just do the whole work up now. Bloodwork came back perfect. The vet mentioned that she could just be losing a little because of age, and to talk to our vet and she may switch up her food, like put her on a higher calorie puppy food. Shes always had a good appetite, but she a persnickety eater with silly quirks. Like she will eat fine for a bit, then she goes on where we have to let one of the other dogs in to stalk her (they like to lick her bowl when shes done) and only then will she start to eat. Ive been getting a little puppy food in her, sometimes her regular kibble mixed, sometimes white meat chicken. Now tonight she just woofed down three big decorated Easter doggy cookies from a local pet boutique. When I talked to her regular vet, I asked could she have an overactive thyroid or something? (I thought that was included in the bloodwork at the ER, but it wasnt.). We were to try the puppy food for a bit and see if that makes a difference and then make an appointment. I called last week and we have an appointment this Wednesday afternoon to discuss what could be going on. Another thing I noticed is that her (voice) bark has changed, not as deep I guess, maybe even a little hoarse? She really doesnt act sick, but I just notice a change. Are there anything in particular that I should be asking the vet about, maybe something thats common in greyhounds that would cause them to lose weight? Any and all suggestions are greytly appreciated! Thanks for listening, Kim & Pixie
  7. Ava had a tumor on her spine and the prognosis wasn't good. I couldn't put her through any more pain. She and I were on a couch and she passed away in my arms. My heart is shattered, I can't believe she's gone so soon. Thank you for all your help.
  8. -------------------------- I am hoping tomorrow that our vet will call the emergency clinic and see what she can do, possibly send us there for an MRI. Her spine has been becoming more pronounced (visible) over time, it wasn't sudden, so could that be a sign of something? She has lost weight over the last year although she has a really healthy appetite. She had a really serious UTI that she was hospitalized for a couple of nights a few months ago. She has also had issues with a a nose that won't stop bleeding, not a nose bleed, but her nose becomes raw on the surface. She finished a couple of rounds of antibiotics and prednisone and that finally cleared it up, but now I notice it's back tonight although she hasn't worn a muzzle in a couple of weeks. I think you're right that they may be nerve related. Thank you for your thoughts, I am going to bring this all up tomorrow. Thank you so much! I forgot to put in my original post that they also put her on Metacam on the second visit (if it makes any difference)!
  9. ___________ I don't think the fall was that severe to cause all this, or it maybe it just triggered something that would have happened eventually. No, I don't think the x-rays were read by a radiologist, our vet was going to send them over to the neurologist. The July 12 appointment, I agree she can't wait that long. Yes, her neurologist is at a specialty/referral clinic for regular hours. They are open 24 hours though, so you can go there on an emergency basis. I will check tomorrow and see what our vet's thoughts are on Ava's present condition. She may be able to just send us there for an MRI right from our appointment. Thanks for your response!
  10. Sorry this is long... We have an 8.5 year old grey (Ava) who was pretty active up until a month or so ago. On the afternoon of May 28, she was roaching on our bed and in her sleep rolled off onto her side. We have a low platform bed. I went to her and she seemed ok and got right back on our bed. We were headed to a bbq (birthday and Memorial Day) so I gave her some Tramadol in case she was sore. She seemed better, still active. A week later I noticed that she started clubbing her left foot. That same night (Sunday June 4) I felt something on her ankle and it was a long gash with red around it. I cleaned it with saline spray and covered it. I had jury duty the next day, but I called the vet on the way there and was able to a late 7pm appointment for that day. At the appointment, they cleaned the wound and gave her antibiotics and we were told to return in a week for a follow up exam. The wound healed nicely, but she was still having issues walking. Suddenly, she couldn't walk on our floor without falling, she was like a deer on ice. I ordered her Pawz boots on Amazon and they helped a lot just to get her outside to go potty. I called the vet and said that she wasn't getting better and I didn't want to wait for her recheck appointment that Wednesday evening, so I got in that day (Monday). This vet (our regular one) took x-rays and said they looked perfect?? Then when she was showing me the films on the monitor, she asked the techs to take her back and get another film. She still was pleased with the films, but wanted us to make an appointment with a neurologist at the specialty hospital (the neurologist is already Ava's doctor because she has epilepsy). There was one tiny spot on the films on her spine (or vertebrae) that she was questioning. The vet also took bloodwork that day for a future teeth cleaning appointment. Our vet called me on Saturday 17 to tell me that Ava's bloodwork is perfect. That same day I noticed that Ava had a huge bruise on the back of her left thigh (they're bald). I told her that they said she had a bruise when they cleaned her wound at the first visit, but I didn't know it was on her thigh. She said the bruise was on the ankle wound, not her thigh. I took a couple pictures and texted them to the vet and asked if I should put anything on them, cold, heat or leave them alone. She said to leave them alone. In the meantime Ava and I have a routine to get her out to go potty. I put all 4 of her boots on, her collar and leash and she gets up and we walk together to the back door. Once we get off the vet and into the grass, I take her off the leash and she goes and does her business. Her left foot is clubbing when she squats and she has fallen a couple of times (not fallen down, just collapsing or toppling into the ground) as she is going and I hose her hindend off before we go inside. She can trot at a good clip, but has the left leg lifted. I was walking her back up the deck steps with the leash on, but I was messing her up because we were going slow and she would trip. Now she is able to *run* up the steps quickly without leash and does better. I did make an appointment with the neurologist, but we can't get in until July 12. In the last few days I've noticed that her left hip is so boney, like it's withering away. She still has an appetite, but doesn't seem excited like she did before. She still sleeps on her bed in a roaching position. She's just not herself, too subdued. I am fearing she has osteo. Our last grey had osteo, amputation and chemo. I don't think Ava would be able to handle that (since she won't walk in the house). Could this be something on her spine that she could get better with surgery? If her leg/hip is withering, is that irreversible? I called yesterday and we have another appointment with our regular vet at 1015 on Monday. I am scared she won't be coming home. Yesterday I had my mind made up that she won't, I don't want to put her through all these tests/procedures if there's no point. I talked to my friend last night and she was shocked at what I was saying. Now I have second thoughts, I hate that she hasn't had long to enjoy her retirement, we've only had her 5 years, she's not even a senior. Agh, sorry this is all so jumbled and rambling! Does the spot on the spine x-ray make sense to anyone (with the symptoms she's having)? The withering of her hip and leg, can that be reversed? Thanks all, Kim & Ava
  11. Hi sorry for the delay. Right now Pixie isn't on anything for the incontinence, I'm afraid to start the Incurin back up until after the holidays. I did mention chemo, but it wasn't for Pixie, it was for our German Shepherd July. Pixie is wearing depend panties now to keep her dry, but my plan is to get with the vet and start her back up on the Incurin after Christmas and do the right dosage. (don't want any emergencies right now with vacations and short staffed (not mine, vets, etc.. during the holidays) Thanks everybody!
  12. My Ava had a similar looking bump on her belly that the vet thought was a histocytoma. She had me give Ava Benadryl and it dried up very quickly and disappeared, just a white flat circle was left.
  13. Well SOB, about the Incurin! I went and double checked the box to make sure I hadn't done wrong... no, it says "Give 1 tablet once daily for 5 days, then 1 tablet once to twice weekly for urinary incontinence." CRAP, that scares me! Pixie is a nervous wreck at the vet.... I sit in the corner of the room on a chair and she tries to go under my legs and hide. She shivers like a leaf.
  14. Thanks everyone for your replies. I have tried using the Quote feature, but not sure if it's working for me (or I don't know how to use it). I haven't given Pixie anything since that day. Her eyes were looking buggy to me and her back feet were knuckling. She's pretty much back to normal, but now I'm too scared to try the Incurin just yet. When I started her on the Incurin, we did one every day for 5 days and then as needed. (it sounds like that isn't the right way to start it??) tbhounds, you mentioned too many undiagnosed hypertensive greyhounds being put on Proin... would Pixie's side effects possibly mean she may have hypertension? Sorry if the answer is obvious and the question is dumb! Thank you all for your responses .... with Ava's dental last week, Pixie's incontinence and drug reaction and getting July's last chemo yesterday (good news with July though ), it's been a whirlwind of visits, calls and texts with vets. I definitely will not use Proin again. If your grey or other dog uses it with no problems, I can send you this bottle. It was brand new when I opened it this a few days ago and we only used two tablets. It's PROIN 50mg, white bottle, silver label with purple and black writing. Expires 8/16. Send me a message on GT with your address and I will send it out to you.
  15. Be careful if your dog is prone to seizures. I tried this on one of my greys who has seizures. The first time she had a couple seizures and I didn't put two and two together since my mom was in the hospital at the time and I was stressed. Several weeks ago I did the Petzlife and she had three seizures the next day. I looked online and see where it has triggered seizures in other dogs. I think it works, so I was sorry we couldn't use it. I hate having to get the dentals. Ava just got her teeth cleaned in February and we just did them again last week. The vet is talking like this will be a regular every six months thing. Gah, that's too stressful! I bought an electric toothbrush for her and also some of those knitted shower gloves to try and keep her teeth clean so we can put off dentals as long as possible.
  • Create New...