Please Send Prayers For Johnny, It's Bloat Update W/pictures

Guest JohnnyBell

I keep checking for an update. Johnny has been on my mind all day.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh, my!! It is very scary! We had a 2 yr old Great Dane that Bloat/torsion surgery. Fortunately we caught it is time and she recovered and went on to live a normal and long life.

The symptoms I look for are unproductive dry heaves, or vomiting with little or no output beyond a little yellow bile, a "humped up" posture indicating abdominal pain, whining and biting at mid-section, indications of shock such as glassy eyes and pale gums, racing heartbeat and panting.

It used to be that feeding from the floor was a no-no, and/or eating and drinking large amounts soon after hard exercise. I believe the current thinking is that genetics play a larger role, and that feeding from raised feeders is now considered a factor. Stress seems to also figure in. Plus the ratio of length-to-width of a breed's chest/abdomen - which is why sight hounds and other dogs shaped like sight hounds are at higher risk for bloat/torsion. The squarer the dog the less risk of bloat.

In my Alex's case, she had a littermate die from bloat and another brother survived - so three pups from her litter had it. Her father (a champion show dog and prolific sire) also died from bloat while an experienced dog sitter was taking care of him while his owners were on vacation. Frisco was a beautiful dog and a lot of Great Dane owners were shocked by his passing.

Here's prayers for Johnny and hoping he has a happy ending, too!!!!!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest JohnnyBell

Thank you everyone for all the thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry it took so long for an update. I went to visit Johnny yesterday and he was relly stresed, as I got there right after he had his IV removed and a new one inserted and he was due for pain meds. He was pacing, panting heavily and whining a lot. When I left they had to end up heavily sedating him because his body temp was rising and he was very aggitated and stressed and started to go downhill, they said it was due to my visit, so I'm not allowed to visit him anymore. I called again later in the evening and they said he was still out of it and he still hasn't eaten anything because he had vomited a few times. He supposed to come home Monday, but they said he has to be able to eat, be stable on his feet and not vomit, so I hope he comes home soon. I miss my big boy so much.

Edited by JohnnyBell

Hope he can come home soon. I'm sorry the visit didn't go the way you had hoped.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I just read about Johnny. Prayers and high hopes that Johnny will be home soon.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Oh gosh ... I'm just seeing this. I'm so sorry for what you're going through - and how awful to be told you can't visit him! I very much hope they get him stabliised soon so that he can come home and recover properly.

Sending many good vibes and prayers to Johnny and hugs to you. :hope:bighug

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Sending more prayers and healing thoughts!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.