Milo pupdate

Milo is age 14+ and was diagnosed with chronic lymphatic leukemia 18 months ago.  He has been doing well on his every-two-week oral chemo, but about a month ago started requiring "toppers" for his meals.  Then, about 10 days ago, he showed a sudden lack of interest for meals.  This scares me because the vet and I agreed that would be the definitive cue that he was feeling bad from the cancer.  I have been feeding him whatever I can get into him all through the day.  He'll eat that way, but only a little nosh at a time.  He has also been having a few short spans of just acting out-of-it and not responding to his name or other noises or movements.    

A few days ago I gave him a leftover Ostifen pain pill.  Immediate positive reaction!  I was thrilled, but also wondering what was causing him pain.  No limping; still enjoying long walks although has been slowing down toward the end of them.   No vomiting and his poop continues to be perfect.  

Went to vet.  Bloodwork great -- everything within normal limits, even red and white blood cell counts,, which vet says is unusual for a leukemia dog on chemo.  (And yes, those are greyhound levels.)  He was standing for a long time at the vet's, and we both saw his rear end begin to sag a little.  No x-rays, but vet thinks he may have arthritis in his spine.  Suggested librela instead of oral meds because of lower risk of side effects, especially to stomach.  I remembered reading here on GT that other houndies have benefitted from it.  So he got his first shot, which he did not appreciate, and we are going to try at least one more next month.   The vet thinks the out-of-it periods are part of dementia, but we can cope with that.  

And I guess I did an ok job getting food into him -- he had gained a few pounds since his last checkup.  Gelsey has been enjoying the variety of treats a little too much, also.  

I am too tech-challenged to post a pic on here, but if someone would volunteer, I'll text a pic from my phone so everybody can admire Milo the Wonder Hound.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Milo! I hope the Librela helps; the kitty version worked great for 15-year-old Tootie (slight improvement at one shot, much more obvious improvement after the second). I'll post a pic of that handsome boy for you! 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Milo :beatheart And good job, mom!

Meal toppers can be quite routine for seniors, I’m impressed that you’re just starting them now! Punkin has been doing fabulous with her monthly Librela injections. I just said to Rachel how spry Punkin was this morning! Of course, she’s on a tall cocktail but I saw marked improvement with the addition of Librela. 

When Punkin’s pancreatitis-prone system is off, alerted by gurgles and refusing all noms, she gets Entyce and within two hours she wants a small meal and she improves to normal by late afternoon lunch. Her last snack and Famotidine are just before bed and that seems to have helped for quite a while now. 

I’m rambling but maybe there’s something helpful in all of that. :grouphug

• Like 1

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

That's a good report for a 14+ hound with leukemia. I hope the new meds keep him feeling good.

And there's nothing wrong with Wiki and she requires toppers on kibble. And breakfast in bed, served to her with a spoon. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Milo is doing amazingly well for a 14+ year old hound, let alone one with leukemia.

Librela helped Toodles a lot. I have a couple of foster kitties on the kitty version (Solensia) and it makes a big difference, especially for the one with terrible arthritis in her elbows. I hope Milo responds to Librela. :goodluck 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Awesome report! 

Long ago I bought a travel bed for Rocket and it got more use at the vet than anywhere else. It still does. Every one of our dogs has used that travel bed at the vet including Mark and Gracie. They make them stand way too long and greyhounds just aren't up for that. I'd suggest a travel bed or cushion for Milo at vet visits.

We have the Chuck It Travel bed. https://www.amazon.com/Chuckit-Travel-Bed-Comfort-Blue/dp/B00027466A

The only issue with this bed is that it is not non-slip and on the floors at our vet it will slide somewhat which sometimes freaks out the dog using it. There are now other travel beds on Amazon that are advertised as non-slip so I may have to check those out. If anyone has a non-slip travel bed that they like please post it. The Chuck It bed is fine on carpet, but our vet's exam room has some kind of shiny floor because it's easy to clean. 

Hang in there, Milo. You're doing great! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

10 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

If anyone has a non-slip travel bed that they like please post it. The Chuck It bed is fine on carpet, but our vet's exam room has some kind of shiny floor because it's easy to clean. 

Just a thought can you attach (with fabric glue) one of the non slip mats you put under an area rug?  To make your travel bed non slip?

Great news!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

13 hours ago, 1Moregrey said:

Just a thought can you attach (with fabric glue) one of the non slip mats you put under an area rug?  To make your travel bed non slip?

I do carry a small rug gripper mat when we go to the vet and throw under the bed.  I just have to remember to take it. It's really the only place we've had an issue with the floor being too slippery for the bed. Hotels etc are usually carpeted and no problem with slipping. Thanks! 

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

8 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

I do carry a small rug gripper mat when we go to the vet and throw under the bed.  I just have to remember to take it. It's really the only place we've had an issue with the floor being too slippery for the bed. Hotels etc are usually carpeted and no problem with slipping. Thanks! 

Don, we have these under one of the dog beds that slips if someone flops on it too enthusiastically (cough*Willa*cough). The sticky side goes against the bottom of the bed, but on the floor side they work more by suction than by adhesion, so they won't stick too firmly to the vet's floor. Then you don't have to remember to pack anything extra!

NOW, with no further ado...

MILO :star

53679072571_2811c9783f_z.jpg

and GELSEY :wub:

53679072576_44d56b1856_z.jpg

Edited by ramonaghan
  • Like 1

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Thanks for the photos, Rachel.  

On Milo -- that is as far up as those 1/6 coonhound ears will go!

Gelsey -- she turns even sleeping into a fun event 

• Like 1

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter