Annual checkup advice for almost-13 year old

Hi, just wanted to get some pre-checkup advice. Logan has his annual checkup tomorrow (Monday) afternoon.. I have not seen any issues with him, but, he will be turning 13 on April 7th.

First question. The vet's reminder email indicated he is due for the DA2PP booster, and LEPTO booster. I am not ant-vax and cost is fortunately not an issue, so my thinking is to have him given both boosters,  but I suppose any vaccination puts some stress on the dog so I wanted to check if there is any good reason to skip one or both of the two boosters. In terms of possible exposure, he does walk every day, occasionally in the park.

Second question. I also expect the vet may recommend a dental cleaning. I hate to have him put under for a dental at his age, but on the other hand I don't want him to have mouth pain (no evidence of it right now in his behavior). My thinking is to just go with whatever the vet advises, but any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Third question. Anything I should specifically ask the vet about? He is currently only on the low dose of Vetprofen, one pill each morning, and I think that does help with his arthritis.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice on the above!

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Personally, I usually stop most vaccines for my seniors, or at least discuss each one with my vet.  It's got to be a risk-vs-reward kind of discussion.  Usually no rabies as our exposure level is very low.  Same for lepto and lyme here - our dogs usually aren't out of our yard - so kennel cough isn't a priority either.  They don't come into contact with other dogs at events or play dates or through the fence.  I'm not anti vaccines and would give them if there's a reason too - going on vacation to a higher risk location, for instance.

Bloodwork every year is a must for seniors.  Maybe every 6 months if warranted.  And a thorough physical exam to assess any pain.  I'd also discuss if there was anything else I could be doing that was low impact to alleviate any pain noticed.

As far as the dental goes, it just depends.  :dunno  Dr Couto always maintains that age is just a number for a healthy dog at any age, and any anesthesia risk needs to be determined by how much his health will be adversely affected by NOT having a good dental - increased risk of heart issues from infections, inability to eat well, general tooth health, etc.  My vet will do herself, or have a tech do, a sort of awake scraping session just in the exam room - just taking a scaler over the teeth she can easily reach and getting off as much as she can.  It's not as effective as she can't get really into cleaning under the gums, and no extractions, of course, but it may be enough to keep this on the right side of the scale (ha!) for a senior.

Good luck and congratulations to your 13 year old!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My vet stops all vaccines except for rabies at age 10. They should have full immunity at that point. My Lila was due for a rabies vaccine at age 13 and I wanted to skip that too but my vet convinced me to do it because if something happened she would be able to quarantine at home. If the rabies vaccine was not current, she would have to be boarded somewhere for the quarantine period.

I personally, would not do a maintenance dental on a 13 year old, but I would address any more serious issues.

Bloodwork of course, and I would run a urinalysis. A palliative care vet told me that old dogs often have asymptomatic urinary tract infections that can become more serious if left untreated.

Congratulations on the upcoming milestone birthday!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I have always stopped vaccines for my seniors, even rabies since by their teens they have immunity if they have been regularly vaccinated throughout their lives. AZ doesn’t accept titers but my vet (who supports stopping the vaccines) writes a letter to have on file with the county. I *think* this means if my dog was exposed he could be quarantined at home, but it never came up. All that said there really isn’t any reason not to do necessary vaccines on a healthy senior. Likewise for dentals, I would address any issues, but probably skip a routine cleaning. When Conner needed a dental at 12.5 I took him to a specialty vet and he had his own anesthesiologist. Expensive, but worth it!

Blood work and a good physical exam should do it unless there are any specific issues you are concerned about. Congratulation on Logan reaching a milestone :beatheart

35 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

My vet stops all vaccines except for rabies at age 10. They should have full immunity at that point. My Lila was due for a rabies vaccine at age 13 and I wanted to skip that too but my vet convinced me to do it because if something happened she would be able to quarantine at home. If the rabies vaccine was not current, she would have to be boarded somewhere for the quarantine period.

I personally, would not do a maintenance dental on a 13 year old, but I would address any more serious issues.

Bloodwork of course, and I would run a urinalysis. A palliative care vet told me that old dogs often have asymptomatic urinary tract infections that can become more serious if left untreated.

Congratulations on the upcoming milestone birthday!

:nod

Congratulations. Thirteen is amazing :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

53 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

:nod

Congratulations. Thirteen is amazing :beatheart

Wow! I'm honored to get the Miss Jan seal of approval! I've only had one old dog and you've had so many/ :kiss2

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

2 hours ago, Jerilyn said:

Wow! I'm honored to get the Miss Jan seal of approval! I've only had one old dog and you've had so many/ :kiss2

:blush I didn't think anyone was listening! :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs :heart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

If you're in doubt, how about getting titres done. Then if he is low on something,  you just need to get that one.

If his teeth are in good shape you can can try Houndstooth non anesthetic dental.  I thinks she's at GIG this year. It's not as good as a full dental but I use it as a 6 month cleaning. It might be enough for him.

Thanks for all the advice! We will be heading out in about 2 1/2 hours, hopefully I can actually get him into the vet's office (he is really afraid of the vet nowadays).

Gratuitous picture of him from yesterday, blissfully unaware of the horrors awaiting him today :-)

i-nkB2QPm-M.jpg

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I haven't done it but on old greyhounds who definitely can't tolerate a dental for a variety of reasons, and if the mouth is nasty, a friend's vet started her hound on "pulsed" antibiotics, meaning they were given every couple or every other month as a maintenance to ward off a big infection.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Update: He's back home! He got the vaccine boosters, but the vet said his teeth look ok and agreed it makes no sense to do a dental. He was shaking like a leaf at the vet's office, but fortunately did not realize we were there until after he went through the front door :-)  He finished his breakfast about 20 minutes after returning home, so I don't think he can be too stressed. I asked about rabies, and his next booster would be due at age 16, so I don't think he will be getting that again.

Rob

Great news, Logan! :yay

P.S. Gratuitous photo of him shortly after getting back from the vet. Pretty similar to the "before" picture actually, except the tongue is sticking out a bit now. He just now went for his evening walk, so I think he's fully back to normal. 

i-JHWMTs9-M.jpg

Rob

On 3/12/2023 at 6:46 PM, FiveRoooooers said:

:blush I didn't think anyone was listening! :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs :heart

The hell you say. We all listen.

Thirteen is awesome. I'm glad Logan survived his visit and doesn't need a dental. :kiss2 Logan.

FWIW (too late now), my vet likes to continue vaccinations, but is especially sensitive to other conditions. Opal missed hers at 13 due to lameness; Toodles at 13 due to congestion (head, not chest; possibly newly developed outdoor allergies). Even if others are skipped, rabies is done if due because our quarantine rules are draconian. In older pets, my vet uses "just a tincture," which is the smallest dosage she can and still be said to be giving the (rabies) vaccination. Like others, I wouldn't do a routine dental on a 13 yr old, but might address a major issue like a fractured tooth if it was bothering the dog. Ivy broke a canine when she was about 12; it didn't bother her and sealed over on its own.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Congreytulations on Logan's good health!  Would Logan tolerate* or learn to tolerate daily dental wipes?  They're a mild preventative to plaque although of course do not get under gumline or in between teeth. 

* I was going to write "stand for" instead of "tolerate," but judging by the pictures Logan isn't standing for much except his long walks. :lol   

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Vet may have used that "tincture" method GreyPoopon mentioned, he said one injection was just under the skin, not into the muscle (or maybe that is how the vaccine is usually done?). Logan had diarrhea last night, but otherwise seems fine. I suspect it may just be a reaction to the stress of the vet visit. 

Rob

12 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

* I was going to write "stand for" instead of "tolerate," but judging by the pictures Logan isn't standing for much except his long walks. :lol   

:rofl 

Stress can certainly cause diarrhea. Hope Logan is feeling good now.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)