Ford Fusion --> Escape with a senior greyhound

rsieg

So I currently have a 2016 Ford Fusion. Logan has a set of styrofoam stairs to get into the back seat (he can still jump in without those but is hesitant so I assume it hurts him) and he just lies down and seems happy back there. However, the Fusion just passed 100,000 miles, so I am looking for a new vehicle. Apparently Ford no longer makes sedans (shows how out of touch I am with the automotive industry :-) so I am looking at a Ford Escape, probably a model of the 2020-2022 redesign.

My question is, if anyone has made a switch from a Fusion (or similar midsize sedan) to an Escape (or similar compact SUV), is it a lot more difficult for a senior greyhound to get in? Logan is almost 12.5 years old now, so I hate changing things up for him at this stage. I'm assuming he will like the extra room in back, I understand the back seats fold flat which is nice for him and I can add padding et cetera, but I'm a bit concerned about the SUV body style making it harder for him to get in and out. Any experiences? Any thoughts on how best to configure the back seats would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I have a small SUV (Honda HRV) and Buddy hates it. He can’t jump into the back/boot as it’s too high, he doesn’t like getting into the back seat area (SUVs tend to sit a little higher off the ground, I think) even with the seats folded up - which was a particular feature that I bought it for - and regardless of where he sits, he can’t see out of the windows.

It’s a different story with our estate car. He loves our Volvo V90, although he is finding it more difficult to get into the boot of that too without assistance, and he also doesn’t like being assisted :rolleyes:. It’s the only car out of the four we have had in the time we have had Buddy that he will get into and lay straight down. We haven’t travelled with him in the back seat of the Volvo - regardless of the car, he has always been a bit clumsy getting onto the back seat, so that might just be a Buddy thing.

We are due to change the Volvo in a few months and definitely wouldn’t get an SUV to keep the dog happy, although I am trying to push my husband towards a V60 which I think will be big enough. We have spent an awful lot of time over the past few weeks assessing the boot entry heights of lots of different cars. I think we must look really suspicious when we are out walking :ph34r

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Unfortunately the only vehicle that really has a low enough entry for a senior dog to get into without assistance is a minivan. Believe me, I looked. The only objection I had to the minivan was it’s size. I felt like I was driving a battleship. If Logan is ok using his steps, some of the crossovers may be low enough.

That's probably one of the only reasons that I still drive a mini van; Toyota Sienna.  Odin, or any senior, can go in thru the side door which is hardly a step up.  I do like it for shopping, too.  The SUV is much higher from the back end.  I have never tried him thru the side door of our Ford Explorer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

We've had a lot of seniors and I feel like they all get to a point where jumping into the car is no longer an option. We've typicall had to eventually lift everyone execpt Petunia. Petunia was tough and still thought she was 5 years old when she was a senior. Be sure to take a loof at what it will take for you to lift the dog into the car, not just whether or not they can jump in. With our bigger, longer hounds it was awkward regardless of the vehicle. With some of the smaller hounds it was not nearly as difficult. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I get Grace and Guinness in the back of a Ford Focus with the seats folded down. Guinness jumps in and Grace will occasionally, I usually have to lift her in. I lift both out because Grace has got to that stage of life and Guinness because he broke his leg during his racing career and I don't want to risk him doing it again.

Whatever you get make sure you can stand upright under the tailgate or that the back doors open wide enough for you to easily assist Logan in and out.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Last year I had to trade in my SUV for a mini-van as my Lucas just could not get into the back of the SUV and the side door was even higher than the rear door when the seats were folded down.  I agree - the size of the mini-van feels large, but it was well worth it for me and my dogs.

exactly how often will you be taking your dog out for rides? daily or to get to the vet?  your steps and a web master harness will help.

get what you like to drive, there are still plenty of 4 door sedans out there that YOU will enjoy driving. does it have to be a ford?  look around and see what is comfortable for YOU! and which sedan's rear door opens wide. the back seat is more than enough room for a GH.

i do miss my Honda Civics and Acura TSX, all sedans and great rides. But for selling antiques and camping we have a honda odyssey. it handles really nicely, doesn't feel like a boat and even has paddle shifters which make crazy roads approaching national parks/monuments very doable and the gas milage is around 28 mpg 

MersyGrey has some good points re the differences in switching to a small SUV.

We recently traded in a Toyota Corolla for a Rav4.  We've had small SUVs before and wanted something with a little more room for both cargo and dogs than either the 4-door Corolla or our other car, a Prius.  

Well, the extra room is great!  Even though we only have two dogs now since we lost the third in Februrary.  The Rav4 is new, more gas efficient (a hybrid), has plenty of room for luggage and dogs for vacationing, and is comfortable for us people.  The drawbacks are that it's significantly higher than either of our older cars whether getting in from the side or the back.  Due to Andi's broken leg, we've had to lift her in for the whole time we've had it,  I can *just* manage it, and would not like to try it with a heavier dog at all.  We could fit three dogs easily in the back with the seats down (we never use them for sitting anyway), and with two they are able to stay out of each other's way even with two huge dog beds back there.  The deck is SIGNIFICANTLY lower inside though and the dogs can't see out if they're laying down.  Air flow is about the same.  The tinted windows really help keep the heat down inside.  

We could easily fit two crates for their safety in the back and we're looking into that option.  We don't take them a lot of places, but I want them to be safe when we do.

All in all I might not get the same vehicle again if I had to do it over, even though as a human I LOVE our new Rav4.  Something with similar cargo area, a hybrid, but smaller that would be easier for them to get in and out of, and to see out of.  A Fit or Versa or even one of the different Prius models - our 05 Prius roof is quite low in the back, and standing up, even for a short greyhound, is not optimum even though it has quite a bit of laying down room.  And it's much lower and easier to lift a dog into/out of.

Most places will let you either bring your dogs to the dealer or take the car home to try it out with people and dogs.  I urge you to take advantage of this.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for the replies, though not too encouraging for the Escape. I have access to a Ford employee discount which is why I'm looking at Ford again. Logan rides a lot, at least once a day on average, and he uses his styrofoam steps well so I'm not concerned about him getting in right now, but in a year who knows? Unfortunately I have never lifted him up into the car (or anywhere else), and I doubt he would like that much not being used to it. I think I will try lifting him in the house this week and see how he responds. If that is an option with him then the big rear opening of an SUV would probably be better than lifting and angling him through the back door opening of a sedan. Anyway, thanks for all the feedback, and I will update once we have made a vehicular transition :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

11 minutes ago, rsieg said:

greysmom, I crossed your post. Interesting idea about bringing Logan to the dealer, I may do that!

I did that years ago when I was shopping for a new ride for my Great Dane. The dealerships were all very understanding and welcoming, except for one; my business went elsewhere. Let us know what you decide!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I gotta admit, if I was a car dealer I might hesitate to let a potential buyer put a dog in the car, unless the buyer is close to a purchase and that is the final sticking point. They do put in a lot of work getting those interiors pristine, and I could understand a reluctance to get dog hair all over the upholstery only to have the potential buyer say: "Ok, but let's look at this other car".   Or, to flip it around, how would you feel if you bought a car and right off the lot you found it had dog hair covering the backseat :-)

Rob

18 hours ago, rsieg said:

I gotta admit, if I was a car dealer I might hesitate to let a potential buyer put a dog in the car, unless the buyer is close to a purchase and that is the final sticking point. They do put in a lot of work getting those interiors pristine, and I could understand a reluctance to get dog hair all over the upholstery only to have the potential buyer say: "Ok, but let's look at this other car".   Or, to flip it around, how would you feel if you bought a car and right off the lot you found it had dog hair covering the backseat :-)

that's exactly how they feel in NYS- 

how about a ford focus wagon- that is if it's still being made?

21 hours ago, rsieg said:

Oh I get that! The dealers we worked with were more than accommodating, tho, as they suggested putting down a sheet, dog hopped in, space assessed, dog hopped out. Easy peasy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yeah, I guess the sheet would solve the problem. I think what I will do though is the following. I measured it is about 11 inches from the top of the styrofoam steps to the top of the back seat in the Ford Fusion. So I can just put those steps up against the side of the Escape and see what the difference is. There may be one other option - I took the back seat entirely out of the last Ford Fusion I had and added some padding - doing that drops pretty much all of that 11 inches. Never had an SUV so not sure what can be done along those lines with an Escape, but could be an option. (Of course, no humans can sit in the back seat, but that's not necessarily a bad thing :-)

Looks like the Focus went out of manufacture a couple years ago as they only have some 5-6 year old cars on the website.

I tried picking up Logan last night, I don't think that's going to be an option -- he fought it and as he is 75+ pounds unless he is going to cooperate I'm not going to be able to safely lift him into any vehicle. I couldn't even get him to do the front feet on the seat and lift the rear end trick which always worked with Max.

Rob

If you buy a new or newish car ask if removing any seats voids the warranty. That was the case when I was considering the new Subaru Ascent and some minivans.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Another possible option, Ford makes (at least I think they still make) small vans, not minivans but commercial vans that can have windows installed instead of panels in the back, and can be finished off in the cargo area, although it might be better to leave the easily cleanable finish and put your own bedding in. When I looked at them several years ago the back loading edge was higher than a mini van but lower than an SUV.

Ford Transit van, they still make them.

On 8/30/2022 at 8:20 AM, rsieg said:

greysmom, I crossed your post. Interesting idea about bringing Logan to the dealer, I may do that!

When I went to the dealer to do a test drive, I was shocked.  They took a copy of my driver's license and insurance card, handed me the key, and said "Have it back by the time we close today," and sent me on my way to drive it wherever and however I wanted!  :yikes  We only live a couple miles from the dealership, so I just drove home and we popped everybody in and went for a ride.   Took about an hour to drive it around, then I took it back to the dealer and signed the pre-purchase papers.  No one seemed concerned with getting the vehicle dirty or any issues with accidents.  :dunno  We did NOT buy that particular vehicle - they only had ONE Rav4 on the entire lot, and it was a gas-only model (we wanted a hybrid).  We had to wait three months for our car to be built, shipped, and arrive at the dealership.

Huh.  Just took a quick peek at the Ford website.  Looks like they don't even have any new sedans anymore except the Mustang!  :eek  If you can find a used Fusion that may be your best best for sticking with that brand.  You should check the specs on the Edge though to see if it's any lower than the Escape.

Also, when lifting your boy, did you put one arm around his chest and one under his tuck for the lift?  Most dogs will be pretty quiet that way.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

On 8/31/2022 at 11:38 AM, Remolacha said:

Another possible option, Ford makes (at least I think they still make) small vans, not minivans but commercial vans that can have windows installed instead of panels in the back, and can be finished off in the cargo area, although it might be better to leave the easily cleanable finish and put your own bedding in. When I looked at them several years ago the back loading edge was higher than a mini van but lower than an SUV.

Ford Transit van, they still make them.

the smallest of the transits are cool and you can use your steps or a ramp. but you are not getting the luxuries of a suv. i did look at the web site too- i guess trucks are the big money makers these days- why produce cars? i would go with a tape measure and measure all the fords and see what's the closest to the ground. btw- you car, to me anyway, is just getting broken in. i just did a tune up , fluids and new tires on my 2015 crv. it has 102k and i plan to keep it until the costs for repairs are more than the book value of the car. that's generally when i get rid of a car- sell and it seem to see it on the road years later. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update. I ended up getting a 2020 Ford Escape. Backseat is actually only a couple inches higher than the Fusion the back seat. However, Logan seems to have had a lot more trouble with getting in the Escape versus the Fusion. I think part of the problem is the rear door opening is smaller. So this morning I took the Escape back to the dealer and had them remove the rear seats entirely. Cost $75, but worth it as removing them is now something of a challenge as they have electrical connections for the airbags. Looks like it will work great with those seats removed. The back is mostly flat except there are four threaded posts for the seat sticking up in the back. I padded those a lot then added a couple blankets and a carpet fragment. He is now able to get in much easier. Two pics of the fixed up back area with the back seats removed below:

i-SZ722PQ-M.jpg

i-H4g6QpL-M.jpg

One problem that remains is that Logan is a bit space-limited as his feet hang off slightly, but he seems ok with it. I can't convince him to go into the back hatch area so far (he put his front feet there but would not go all the way), but will try to work on that. A bonus is that the back seats were blocking the lower third of the view in the rearview mirror, now the entire back window is visible in the rearview mirror.

Edited by rsieg

Rob

He could still see out. Last night he actually jumped in on his own, which I don't think he could have done with the Fusion with the back seats in, but had a hard time doing it. This morning he did allow me to lift his back end up, but he is hesitant. He tends to pull has front feet off the ledge before I can lift. But I think he is getting the idea and will go along with it. He also went into the rear cargo area. That was possible since he can get in (with me lifting) without the steps so the cargo area is available. To encourage him I put the carpet fragment we were using in the Fusion into the cargo area, and I think that made him realize it was ok. So it is a work in progress, but I think it will work out better than the Fusuion once we get used to it. Here is a shot of him in the rear cargo area:

i-xbNFG83-M.jpg

Rob