Punkin's ER visit. Pancreatitis +

What, and how often throughout the day, are you feeding your hounds with pancreatitis? Asking for a friend Punkin 

Thank you.

eta: I've updated further in this thread. Thankfully, Punkin is now home from the ER and doing well.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

i skirted the $$$$ low fat ID diet and cooked white rice and chicken in a rice cooker. i added low fat cereal and toast to it. super low fat- and super low protein since felix had kidney disease as well. 

the key is to get it stabilized. i never gave out treats- if any it was white bread toast or cheerios. those days are long gone. you can look up some of the science diet foods, not the rx and find some fat levels as low as 7%. maybe your dog will tolerate it. Hills is really stingy with their coupons for RX food- 

I think it's a question of what she *will* eat, especially in the beginning.  When you get her symptoms under control and she's back to her more "normal" schedule, and you find a low fat food that's acceptable to her, figure out how much she needs to eat a day to keep her healthy and divide that into equal portions throughout the day.

There are some new RX diets available, though they're pretty expensive I think.  It's way less hassle that home cooking, though you can control the quality of ingredients a lot better that way.  It all just kind of depends on your comfort level and how much you want to fuss every day.

And don't forget to defat the treats and chews and any other food things.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Jan, I just went through this with Lulu. During and after the onset her appetite was ok, although she was vomiting for a few days before diagnosis. Vet had me immediately switch her to Purina Pro Plan Rx "EN". Lulu likes it and eats it all up.

To answer your question, I gave her a tablespoon of the Rx food every couple of hours but probably did not give her the total daily amount she had been getting with non-Rx food. Giving her Cerenia helped settle her tummy too. (I hadn't realized she was showing pain by shaking, which had been doing for a few weeks. Bad mom  :(   Other meds given on diagnosis day: gabapentin, famotidine, buprex, and subQ fluids).

Her diagnosis was on 8/2.

Sending gentle hugs to Punkin. :heart

Editing to add: the Rx food was nearly 40% less at Petsmart than from my vet.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

35 minutes ago, macoduck said:

Jan, I just went through this with Lulu. During and after the onset her appetite was ok, although she was vomiting for a few days before diagnosis. Vet had me immediately switch her to Purina Pro Plan Rx "EN". Lulu likes it and eats it all up.

To answer your question, I gave her a tablespoon of the Rx food every couple of hours but probably did not give her the total daily amount she had been getting with non-Rx food. Giving her Cerenia helped settle her tummy too. (I hadn't realized she was showing pain by shaking, which had been doing for a few weeks. Bad mom  :(   Other meds given on diagnosis day: gabapentin, famotidine, buprex, and subQ fluids).

Her diagnosis was on 8/2.

Sending gentle hugs to Punkin. :heart

Editing to add: the Rx food was nearly 40% less at Petsmart than from my vet.

Thank you for the replies.

Ducky, I'm sorry about sweet Lulu and hope she is rallying more and more every day. On Wednesday Punkin wasn't herself, giving up the lead on our hike which is not her at all but she ate dinner and seemed ok. Her last poop that afternoon was just beginning to look different, a bit loose, but I chalked it up to "greyhound." Thursday morning, no poop. She was anorexic, refusing everything. I gave Cerenia and later she took a few bites of boiled chicken but that was it. The vet prescribed Purina Pro Plan EN and Punkin ate 1/4 cup, then the diarrhea started. I took her in and after exam and bloodwork she was given the dx of pancreatitis. Gave her fluids, she's already on Gabapentin, continue Cerenia, keep her on Purina PP EN - but the *low fat* version - the cans they'd sent us home with earlier were not low fat, sigh.  She's definitely feeling better, caught her in a roach overnight :wub: The vet had only a limited supply of the EN - we took that and Punkin likes it - but I called around and found Hill's I/D LF both cans and kibble and she likes it. Her poop is not good, however. I'm going to call later to ask what I can give her to address that.  Thank you for the tip re Petsmart - Punkin needs ~1550 calories/day and that equals about four rx cans. Home-cooked could be an option if we weren't still transient with a limited kitchen.

While there will be someone available by phone, the clinic has no doctors and is closed until Tuesday. Our nearest emergency hospital is an hour+ away. Best thoughts for my girl are much appreciated. And Lulu, you got this, girlie :kiss2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Jan, yes the canned food is pricey so I also got the same EN version in kibble.

Besides the Greyhound Health and Medical page on FB, you can post questions here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/337421456457048

Read the rules thoroughly on that page though. Your post must start with " Vets only". And never ever post a remark or suggestion on someone else's post.

Lulu is doing better. I hope Punkin gets better soon.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hugs to Punkin and her worried human.  

Hope Lulu's upward trend continues.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Candy was diagnosed with pancreatitis too.  I won't buy Hills food so she was put on Royal Canin  HP, pred, cerenia, sucralfate, and also had hookworms - so meds for that too.  She is still on the HP food ( from Chewy who is a bit cheaper than the vet) and occasionally needs the sucralfate.  We did an ultrasound and found her duodenum has a thickened wall.  No idea why at this point.  She has an appointment next month and hopefully we can find out what is going on with her too.   I hope Lulu and Punkin are better soon.  

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

16 hours ago, Fostr_Mom said:

Candy was diagnosed with pancreatitis too.  I won't buy Hills food so she was put on Royal Canin  HP, pred, cerenia, sucralfate, and also had hookworms - so meds for that too.  She is still on the HP food ( from Chewy who is a bit cheaper than the vet) and occasionally needs the sucralfate.  We did an ultrasound and found her duodenum has a thickened wall.  No idea why at this point.  She has an appointment next month and hopefully we can find out what is going on with her too.   I hope Lulu and Punkin are better soon.  

Thanks all, for the helpful replies.

Poor Candy, the kid has a lot going on, doesn't she, with the addition of those nasty hooks. All best healing vibes for your girl and please keep us posted.

Lulu, you doing ok?

Punkin seemed to have a good day yesterday. After a dear friend suggested trying the "magical carrots" for Punkin's diarrhea and by afternoon I was very encouraged, it looked like we were getting it under control. This morning we do not. I think the Purina PP EN is not agreeing with Punkin but the Hills I/D is. We will try just the Hills and see how she does. Tomorrow is her last dose of Cerenia. Otherwise, she is definitely hungry. She's a bit quiet but also cheerful about going for rides/walks. Hoping we can turn the corner in a good way today. Thanks again for the good thoughts.

I habs yukky 💩 but whaevah

image.jpeg.6adfbcaaa6a51a3fcd39b7b3469ff39d.jpeg

Jan, I'm sorry to hear about Punkin.  Brynn had a bout of Pancreatitis a few years ago.  Our vet prescribed the Hill's I/D diet for her and it helped quite a bit.  We had  a few days of good and bad before we had this under control but slowly she felt better.  I hope your sweet girl feels better soon.  We'll be thinking of her and you.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

8 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Poor Candy, the kid has a lot going on, doesn't she, with the addition of those nasty hooks. All best healing vibes for your girl and please keep us posted.

Thank you, I hope Punkin gets well soon. 

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

1 hour ago, Fostr_Mom said:

Thank you, I hope Punkin gets well soon. 

Thank you. Hang in there and again, please check in with updates when you can.

Thank you all.

Just wanted to update that Punkin is doing so much better. She's transitioning to her usual low-fat kibble with canned Hills I/D and weaning slowly off her meds. Her energy is coming back and she's been leading our shortened hikes so I know she's feeling more like herself. Thank you all for all the good vibes, they truly help :bighug

How are Lulu and Candy doing? :goodluck 

Wonderful news about Punkin!

Lulu is doing good and really likes her Rx low fat food. I indulge her now by letting her lick the empty bowls of the other houndies. Every couple of days she will try to nibble on some grass. I pop a Meclizine in her, which my vet prefers over Pepcid, and I give her spoon of her canned food. No puking.

tiny hada siggy.png

2 hours ago, macoduck said:

Wonderful news about Punkin!

Lulu is doing good and really likes her Rx low fat food. I indulge her now by letting her lick the empty bowls of the other houndies. Every couple of days she will try to nibble on some grass. I pop a Meclizine in her, which my vet prefers over Pepcid, and I give her spoon of her canned food. No puking.

Thanks Ducky, we are keeping close watch on Punkin. I am delighted to hear how well Lulu is doing and thanks for the info for what works for her. Lulu :wub:

Hope Punkin', Candy, and Lulu are doing well.

Opal (mystery illness) has developed a taste for i/d stew. For her weight, she needs about $18/day worth, which is way more than I spend on my own food. :lol: 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2022 at 1:54 PM, Fostr_Mom said:

How is Candy doing? :goodluck  

And Lulu, still doing good? :goodluck

Has anyone had reliable, helpful results giving digestive enzymes? Mornings are becoming more of an issue for Punkin. She looks for grass and often doesn't want breakfast of what she has been enjoying and eats for dinner (combo IAMS Healthy Aging, 24 protein/10.5 fat; IAMS MiniChunks, 25/14) and Hill's I/D Low-Fat canned. After this green bag is finished we will give just the purple bag. Lately I've been substituting some Hill's Digestive Care I/D low fat kibble for a portion of the IAMS (NOTE, Hill's new formula is now up from 21% to 25% protein; we have the 21%). She'd gotten reluctant about mashed sweet potatoes (a standard here) so I've been leaving that out and she'll finish breakfast with or without a wee sprinkle of shakey cheese, low-salt cottage cheese or scrambled egg whites, it depends on the day. Treats are def low fat, and she gets a Milk Bone or a few mini milk bones before bed. We are still transient with a limited kitchen so home cooked would be challenging but potentially doable. She is on daily Famotidine and Gabapentin. And yes, her poop has been beautiful :) Cerenia gets her through the nausea but what else can I give her to address that? Would daily digestive enzymes help? Which product?

If you've made it through all of that thank you. Thoughts appreciated.

• FiveRoooooers changed the title to *Pancreatitis: Diets & *Meds

Jan, Lulu is getting pickier too. She'd prefer to have Hada's Rx food and vice versa. <_<  Since she has not had another pancreatitis attack vet said I could try to switch her back to regular food. I'm taking it very slowly. She did had a UTI, a first for her.  Sometimes she does the grass grazing before mealtime, morning and evening. Vet has me giving her a Meclizine rather than a Pepcid.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ducky, it's encouraging that Lulu hasn't had another attack! I hope that continues and also she decides that being picky just makes the moms :crazy - no good will come of that! Also, no more UTI's Lulu, got it? There's a good girl.

Meclizine seems to be prescribed for much smaller dogs than our greys :dunno For now, we have Famotidine and Cerenia. Still need to investigate digestive enzymes.

If you can spare some good healing vibes for Punkin we’d appreciate it. The ER wants to keep my girl overnight to get her pancreatitis flare stabilized :weep