What to do with all the greyhound tchotchkes?

We probably all have a similar problem -- or if you're new to greyhounds, you soon will -- which is what to do with all the greyhound stuff that people give you?  I have a few things that I have bought and one thing that someone gave me years ago that I want to keep.  But people keep getting me stuff.  And it's almost always big.  I would have to get rid of stuff that I like to put up new stuff.  This year alone I got two large "decorative" signs about dogs.  Did I mention that I do not like signs hanging in houses?  I would never say, "Dogs leave footprints on our hearts," let alone put up a 2 1/2 x 3 ft sign declaring that.  But someone made it herself to give to me.  She said, "I know you like practical things" so she put three tiny hooks at the bottom that wouldn't hold a chihuahua's leash.  What to do?  What to do?   

Exception 1:  GT secret santas do actually give practical things, or they ask ahead of time. 

Exception 2:  Someone gave me a HUGE coffee mug that says "My dog and I talk sh** about you."  Love it. 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I plan on listing my no longer wanted stuff on FB's Greyhound Vendors and Action page. I'll probably either save all the money in my doggy medical stash and/or donate a portion of the money to a rescue group.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:wave 

If there is a group nearby they can often use such items for raffles/auctions. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

55 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

This what I do, “regift” for an auction

And to anyone who might think this is tacky, some of my favorite items have come from greyhound auctions and were not new

Edited by Remolacha

3 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

I think this is a very reasonable way to recycle an unwanted gift, for the reason the Remolacha states. Someone else could put it to better use.

(does the friend who made it ever come round to your house? Would you be expected to have it on display at least once or will it escape their notice that you don’t have it anymore?)

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Some groups will have a "straw draw" at their picnics where the straw pulled corresponds to a particular type or value of prize.  We always tried to save that stuff to donate to the picnics or as raffle prizes at greyhound events/group picnics. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

10 hours ago, Jerilyn said:

My "dogs leave pawprints on our hearts" sign hangs in my garage. ;)

I don't need a sign for that. We've had so much rain recently that I have plenty of paw prints already :rofl

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I think that's supposed to be a key holder instead! But if you've got a car with a keyless ignition, it's better to store them away from doors and windows because thieves can use a scanner to get the code and make a duplicate.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I sent a whole box of coats and PJs we didn't use to a Canadian adoption group for a fundraiser auction they run every year.  Usually I save all that kind of stuff for the Miss Nellie/Hope4Hounds auction in October, though it hasn't happened in a couple years due to Covid.  I've donated items to our local adoption group, and to individual fundraiser auctions on Facebook where people use the proceeds for vet bills or donations.

The most important thing is making sure the items are in good shape (even if used) and appropriate for the auction purpose.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Regift to new greyhound owners!

FYI - Ellen, that mug sounds awesome!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Do I have to display the signs and bricabrac, and is there a minimum amount of time?

Is there a polite way to discourage such gifts before they happen?  I was taught that was rude.

I knew someone who was into poodles before greyhounds, and she said the amount of poodle tchotchkes is unbelievably high.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

If the person comes over, have it on display, then put it back into storage. Or if you don't have it, and they ask, just say "I found a special place for it, don't worry". Technically the truth. ^_^

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg