Diva Has Valley Fever

Another new chapter in the s%*t show that is 2021, Diva started limping about 2 weeks ago.  She had a pain reaction in her shoulder. After x-rays and blood tests, she has a lesion on a bone and is positive at a low level for Valley Fever.  The only way to confirm or rule out Osteo would be a bone biopsy which we will not do since it could cause more problems than it solves.  The Valley Fever level in the blood results is very low, and lower than the point where symptoms usually present. We hope that means that we caught it early.  We are starting a treatment protocol for Valley Fever and should have an idea if she is responding to treatment in about 3 weeks.  

Diva is still very happy, spunky, and runs everywhere but usually with a limp. She lifts her paw when standing, but otherwise is undeterred by the limp or any pain that she is having. Today she is actually resting and sleeping a little more than usual, but we think that's because the pain meds were increased by the vet a few days ago. Hopefully, this girl who has no clue that she is 11 years old will be with us for a long time to come.  Valley fever is very treatable and we hope that is all that we are dealing with here. 

We are extremely happy with the vet and the treatment plan. If we need it, there is a Valley Fever specialty center in Tucson at the University of Arizona, so we feel like the bases are covered. We also have Dr Cuoto and Dr Stack available if needed. Since Valley Fever is pretty common here in Phoenix, we have lots of good resources. 

I don't really have any questions at this point and have read through some older Valley Fever posts.  This is KNOT what we needed in a year when we lost 3 other hounds, but we know that our GT family adores this girl and her brother, Mark, so wanted you all to be in the loop. We are absolutely in love with these 2 hounds! 

We will update you when we know more. For now - send good vibes and cross your paws. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Don, if you won't tell Diva she has VF, then we won't either.  ;)  Live your life to the fullest, Diva girl!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks everyone.  Diva has no idea that she is a senior.  She actually reminds me a lot of Petunia and even acts like a broodie when it comes to her brother Mark and her humans. None of us are allowed out of her sight. She wasn't a broodie, but she is definitely channeling Miss Petunia. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:goodluck for Diva. And you.

I hope your not-sick not-senior girl is indeed limping due to Valley Fever and responds well to treatment. The alternatives are not to be contemplated.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)